Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B-2 Visitors Visa. US consulate asking for more documents.Need Help.

B-2 Visitors Visa. US consulate asking for more documents.Need Help.

Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:14 am
Just Joined

belfastgirl123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B-2 Visitors Visa. US consulate asking for more documents.Need Help.

Hi,
We went for a B-2 Visitor's visa today at US Consulate Belfast. They have asked my husband to email his CV and publications(if any) to complete his processing. He is a Mechanical Engineer.

Does any one have an idea about how long the US consulate will take to process his application , once the CV has been sent? Also any idea how to track his application processing? They havent given us any tracking number or case number.

Thanks
Regards
Old Dec 9th 2009, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B-2 Visitors Visa. US consulate asking for more documents.Need Help.

Originally Posted by belfastgirl123
Does any one have an idea about how long the US consulate will take to process his application , once the CV has been sent?
Usually, these things go pretty quickly... within 2 weeks, as long as there are no other issues. If you were asked to leave your passports - that's a good sign. I'm curious though... is there a reason you can't use the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or need to be in the US for more than 90-days at a time?

Also any idea how to track his application processing?
Sorry, there's no way to track a B-2 application.

Ian
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

belfastgirl123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B-2 Visitors Visa. US consulate asking for more documents.Need Help.

Thank you for replying back. We are not UK citizens hence can't use the waiver program.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We are not UK citizens hence can't use the waiver program.
There are currently 42 countries eligible to use the VWP - 35 of which have been eligible for many years... and 7 more that were added earlier this year, although I can't remember which ones.

Ian
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:29 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There are currently 42 countries eligible to use the VWP - 35 of which have been eligible for many years... and 7 more that were added earlier this year, although I can't remember which ones.

Ian
42? It was 29, then Argentina and Uruguay got kicked off the list around 2001 or 2002 dropping it to 27. They recently added 8 bringing the total to 35.

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore,, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Liechtenstein, and Republic of Korea

The countries in bold were added recently.

Last edited by crg; Dec 9th 2009 at 4:40 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
I think '42' is the answer to another question...
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for replying back. We are not UK citizens hence can't use the waiver program.

You're not Irish either?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think '42' is the answer to another question...

57 belongs to Heinz
Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by crg
42? It was 29, then Argentina and Uruguay got kicked off the list around 2001 or 2002 dropping it to 27. They recently added 8 bringing the total to 35.
I never was much good at maths! My mother once told me it'd be my downfall... and by golly, she was right! I had "35" stuck in my head! <sigh>

Ian
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:07 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

He is a Mechanical Engineer.

Does any one have an idea about how long the US consulate will take to process his application , once the CV has been sent?
The issue of country of birth (and sometimes of citizenship, also) is a big one. If your husband was BORN in one of a dozen-or-so countries which have far-too-friendly connections with certain types of extremists, your husband's application, even for a mere B-2 visa, could be delayed considerably.

If your husband was born in, say, Sudan or Afghanistan or Iran, his application could be facing a rather extensive security check. This so-called Mantis check could take up to 3-4 months, although lately, these checks have been moving considerably faster.

The request for his CV may be a reflection of their wish to verify his training in engineering, chemistry, physics, etc. They may also want to verify the steadiness of his work history.

Best of luck,

--J
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
The issue of country of birth (and sometimes of citizenship, also) is a big one. If your husband was BORN in one of a dozen-or-so countries which have far-too-friendly connections with certain types of extremists, your husband's application, even for a mere B-2 visa, could be delayed considerably.

If your husband was born in, say, Sudan or Afghanistan or Iran, his application could be facing a rather extensive security check. This so-called Mantis check could take up to 3-4 months, although lately, these checks have been moving considerably faster.
When we did our L1/L2 applications in Dubai last year, the ConOff was most apologetic that my wife's application could not be approved immediately as she was born in Iran. Fortunately her visa wasn't subject to a long delay (it was turned around in a week). Probably because she was born before 1979, is not an ethinc Iranian, and left the country before she was even a year old...