Citizenship Question

Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

polsmt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Question

Apologies if this was answered previously, but I searched and could not find the answer. I was recently at a Burns supper and bumped into a nice lady from Edinburgh who had been here a while so I was quizzing her about citizenship as I am currently a permanent resident but wondered about the advantages of citizenship. Her advice was to become one because her lawyer told her that if she died while a PR the government could take 50% of the estate and her spouse would loose out. Is this correct or old advice??

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by polsmt; Feb 4th 2008 at 6:04 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question

Originally Posted by polsmt
Apologies if this was answered previously, but I searched and could not find the answer. I was recently at a Burns supper and bumped into a nice lady from Edinburgh who had been here a while so I was quizzing her about citizenship as I am currently a permanent resident but wondered about the advantages of citizenship. Her advice was to become one because her lawyer told her that if she died while a PR the government could take 50% of the estate and her spouse would loose out. Is this correct or old advice??

Thanks

Paul

No certain of the percentage but essentially correct. As a non-citizen you pay hired taxes on estates than a citizen would.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polsmt
Her advice was to become one because her lawyer told her that if she died while a PR the government could take 50% of the estate and her spouse would loose out. Is this correct or old advice?
It is true... but only to a point. The estate laws for the survivor of a USC are far more favorable than the estate laws for the survivor of a PR. Still, one would have to have an estate valued at (I believe) over $600K before it would make any real difference.

While there are many good reasons to become a USC, IMHO the top three are: 1) it allows you the *right of entry* to the US; 2) it allows you to vote... and so participate in the process rather than be a reactive bystander; and 3) it releases your sponsor of their financial obligation under the I-864.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While there are many good reasons to become a USC, IMHO the top three are: 1) it allows you the *right of entry* to the US; 2) it allows you to vote... and so participate in the process rather than be a reactive bystander; and 3) it releases your sponsor of their financial obligation under the I-864.

Ian
And makes it much less likely that you could be deported as a result of the law changing in the future...

PS: does $800K ring a bell? I don't know, that's just the # I thought...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

polsmt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for replying. Gives me some food for thought....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:10 am
Just Joined

mercedesxyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I too think it is about correct and also I believe that while the proceeds of a life insurance are generally tax free ( this is what the agents tell you and you read)... I have been told that when the PR is the beneficiary of a life insurance policy that in fact the proceeds likely end up being taxed but if PR where in fact a Citizen no such liability accrues.

M