F-1 Student Visa

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Ross_Bradley07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F-1 Student Visa

Hello,

I have just got back from the USA last week , i was there scouting out colleges and found one that issues the I-20.

The I-20 will be issed tomorrow and sent to me so i should have it in a few days.

Now i have to make an appointment at the embassy in london and i need to helpful advice so i have a chance of getting the F-1, i have the following paperwork :

Aunt and uncles W2's from last years earnings

And a letter of Support

What else do i need to take to london and any helpfull avice on what to say and what not to say to the interviewer.

Last edited by Ross_Bradley07; Feb 3rd 2008 at 2:55 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all
Default Re: F-1 Student Visa

Hi there. Be prepared to answer questions about what you are studying, why you are studying this particular subject, and why you want to go to the school/state/country you are going to. The interviewer may need to be persuaded that you intend to return to the UK when your course is finished.

You may find reading this thread useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492514

Incidentally, with regard to showing your relatives' financial documents, what normally happens is that you would have had to demonstrate to the school that you had enough money before they issued your I-20, rather than prove it at your interview. Did the school ask you about this?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

You will need to take to the Embassy with you the following:

- A completed Form DS-156
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...lectronic.html

- A completed Form DS-157 (If you are male, aged 16 to 45)
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DS-0157.pdf

- A completed Form DS-158
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DS-0158.pdf

- Reciept of SEVIS payment ($100), which you can pay online but only once you have received your I-20
https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/

- I-20
- Passport
- 1 2x2 photo

- Evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover all expenses - tuition and living costs. I am not sure that your reletives' W-2 is enough as I was under the impression that you needed to show what funds you actually have available to you - maybe someone can clarify that for you.

- Proof of ties to your home country, this can be shown in a number of ways - immediate family, property or employment.

- You may also require transcripts of your acedemic records - GCSEs, A-levels etc.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

I have just read that when/If i get this visa issued i can only enter the USA 30 days before college starts, i want to be there a couple of months before, can i enter on the VWP ? since i have only just left the usa on januart 30th 2008.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to allLilyella is a name known to all

No, you can't enter on the VWP and then switch status to F1 without leaving the country. If you want to be there a couple of months before, you would have to go on the VWP, leave, and then enter with your F1.

Last edited by Lilyella; Feb 4th 2008 at 12:22 pm. Reason: missing punctuation
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lilyella
No, you can't enter on the VWP and then switch status to F1 without leaving the country. If you want to be there a couple of months before, you would have to go on the VWP, leave, and then enter with your F1.
That is not entirely true. Lilyella is correct that you cannot use the VWP if you have already been issued a visa but you can apply for a B2 (visitors) visa if you wish to enter the U.S. prior to the 30 day period.

However if you decide to enter the U.S. with a B2 you would then need to file Form I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status and have that approved in order for you to be in F1 status. The fee for filing this $300 and it is advised that you file Form I-539 30-45 days prior to the commencement of your studies.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:46 am
Just Joined

I a copy/Scan of my School grades will this do or will i need the originials, also i took the S.A.T in Memphis,TN and i left the originial copy in the usa but i can print of my scores from the website, will that be ok ?