British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Citizenship Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/citizenship-question-511710/)

polsmt Feb 4th 2008 5:55 pm

Citizenship Question

Apologies if this was answered previously, but I searched and could not find the answer. I was recently at a Burns supper and bumped into a nice lady from Edinburgh who had been here a while so I was quizzing her about citizenship as I am currently a permanent resident but wondered about the advantages of citizenship. Her advice was to become one because her lawyer told her that if she died while a PR the government could take 50% of the estate and her spouse would loose out. Is this correct or old advice??

Thanks

Paul

Rete Feb 4th 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Citizenship Question

Originally Posted by polsmt (Post 5883684)
Apologies if this was answered previously, but I searched and could not find the answer. I was recently at a Burns supper and bumped into a nice lady from Edinburgh who had been here a while so I was quizzing her about citizenship as I am currently a permanent resident but wondered about the advantages of citizenship. Her advice was to become one because her lawyer told her that if she died while a PR the government could take 50% of the estate and her spouse would loose out. Is this correct or old advice??

Thanks

Paul

No certain of the percentage but essentially correct. As a non-citizen you pay hired taxes on estates than a citizen would.

ian-mstm Feb 4th 2008 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by polsmt (Post 5883684)
Her advice was to become one because her lawyer told her that if she died while a PR the government could take 50% of the estate and her spouse would loose out. Is this correct or old advice?

It is true... but only to a point. The estate laws for the survivor of a USC are far more favorable than the estate laws for the survivor of a PR. Still, one would have to have an estate valued at (I believe) over $600K before it would make any real difference.

While there are many good reasons to become a USC, IMHO the top three are: 1) it allows you the *right of entry* to the US; 2) it allows you to vote... and so participate in the process rather than be a reactive bystander; and 3) it releases your sponsor of their financial obligation under the I-864.

Ian

meauxna Feb 4th 2008 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 5883919)
While there are many good reasons to become a USC, IMHO the top three are: 1) it allows you the *right of entry* to the US; 2) it allows you to vote... and so participate in the process rather than be a reactive bystander; and 3) it releases your sponsor of their financial obligation under the I-864.

Ian

And makes it much less likely that you could be deported as a result of the law changing in the future...

PS: does $800K ring a bell? I don't know, that's just the # I thought...

polsmt Feb 4th 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks everyone for replying. Gives me some food for thought....

mercedesxyz Feb 5th 2008 12:10 am

Hello

I too think it is about correct and also I believe that while the proceeds of a life insurance are generally tax free ( this is what the agents tell you and you read)... I have been told that when the PR is the beneficiary of a life insurance policy that in fact the proceeds likely end up being taxed but if PR where in fact a Citizen no such liability accrues.

M