B2 Visa Processing

Old Nov 15th 2020, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute
Default B2 Visa Processing

Hi All,

My 79 year old Grandma is interested in coming to the US for extended periods of time in the future to spend quality time with her great grandchildren. My research suggests a B2 visa is the best route to achieve this but I had a couple of questions.

1. it says applicants aged 80+ typically don’t need an interview. She turns 80 in may next year. Should we wait until the. Or is there any discretion since she is so close and the current climate.

2. Are B2 visa currently being accepted/processed? The website is a little confusing as it seems you can apply but embassies are only available for emergency appointments which I am sure this would not fall under.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
Old Nov 15th 2020, 11:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa Processing

I am fairly certain that transatlantic travel won't be fully regularized by May of 2021, and a 79 year should should be cautious about extended potential exposure/ multiple exposure points during the journey to covid 19 until things are substantially back to normal - i.e. the vaccine widely administered and new infections at a low level, so, all that said, I wouldn't worry about even applying for a B-2 visa until at least next May.

In the mean time you and/or your grandma should look into getting travel insurance for an 80 year old spending an extended time in the US. Insurance gets progressively more expensive as you approach your 80th birthday, but after that point it becomes harder to even find insurance, as insurers often won't insure someone after their 80th birthday. And when you do find it, you can expect to pay as much, or more, for travel insurance as you paid for the airline ticket - for a stay of 15-30 days! The reason for this high cost is because a "routine" hospitalization for a heart attack or stroke can run up a $100k bill in the first 3 days! At that point insurance may or may not cover further treatment, and the alternatives are further massive expense for treament in the US, or a transatlantic air ambulance flight, which is also incredibly expensive.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 16th 2020 at 1:12 am.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 12:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

First question is she eligible for the VWP? That gives her an extended period.

I can add a bit to travel insurance, my Mum in early 70's admittedly with a few medical issues spent more on her travel insurance than airline ticket for a 17 day stay.

If a trip to the Consulate is an issue how is she going to manage an overseas trip?

B processing is currently suspended.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 1:43 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like an impractical proposition to me.

I am considering a trip to uk sept 2021 for dads 80th birthday but there are so many unknowns now that I wont be likely to book anything tilll 6 months from now..

80 year old from uk getting a visa and travelling to USA sounds like a non starter even in good times. Sorry.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

About 10 years ago, we paid approx £1K for travel insurance for my 84 yr old MIL to visit the US for just over 2 weeks.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Second time around, perhaps they could be merged?

B2 Visa for family member to visit
Old Nov 29th 2020, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just have her come on an esta for now, especially not knowing the situation with travel going forward. That way she could still visit for several weeks and get a B if needed in the future. I definitely think for older folks they need some happiness now and yes there's a risk but it's worth it if she takes all precautions and life needs living at that age!
My dad visited in April 2018 and he paid £400 travel insurance - he was 81 then! Get special assistance if possible...
Good luck to her!
Old Nov 29th 2020, 2:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
.... My dad visited in April 2018 and he paid £400 travel insurance - he was 81 then!
Who was his insurance with and what sort of coverage did he have? You appear to have an answer to the question that has been asked fairly frequently here on BE over a number of years as people frequently report that it is extremely difficult to find an insurer who will insure someone older than 80 to travel to the US.
.... Get special assistance if possible....
What does that mean?
Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Between taking out insurance and the date of travel...my MIL’s doctor changed her BP meds. You must inform the insurance company of any change in meds/diagnosis/illness. They pulled the cover and I had to find another company. I can’t remember the company I used...it was approx 11 years ago.