Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa for family member to visit

B2 Visa for family member to visit

Old Oct 17th 2018, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute
Default B2 Visa for family member to visit

Hi All, I went through my own visa journey starting with an L1B and transitioning to a green card through marriage to my wife. We now live in Texas and have started growing our family. Through my time of using this forum it was such a useful resource but I always seen the the common message of people wanting to travel to the USA for extended periods of time not to apply for a B2 when they are eligible for a VWP. This was because it was often denied and subsequently messed up the VWP as you now had to declare a denial on your record.

I wondered if this was any different for retired individuals? Essentially my Gran is retired and lives in Scotland and wants to come visit the USA for extended periods of time (4-6 months) to spend time with the family. I’d like to apply for a B2 visa so she can achieve this but I’m worried that if it gets denied it will harm her ability to come for even 90 days.

Does anyone have any experiance or guidance on this matter?

Thanks
Scott
Old Oct 17th 2018, 3:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa for family member to visit

People of retirement age stand a better chance at a B-2, although of course there are never any guarantees.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2018, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can not apply for someone else.

Obviously a risk if she applies.But being retired less of one.

From a practical perspective does she really want to stay more than 90 days, do you want her to stay more than 90 days! Can get a bit iffy when she is away from her family and friends for so long and has not a lot to do.

Also she should check out the Travel Insurance aspect, certainly the last time my Mum came that cost more than the flight and that was for weeks not months.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure your Gran has good medical insurance for a stay of 4 to 6 months.......
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
People of retirement age stand a better chance at a B-2, although of course there are never any guarantees.

Rene
Thanks Rene, So would the general consensus be that there is much less risk being of retirement age? I have just seen so many people (younger) post up about the B2 and immediately get told its the worst decision they can make.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Boiler
You can not apply for someone else.

Obviously a risk if she applies.But being retired less of one.

From a practical perspective does she really want to stay more than 90 days, do you want her to stay more than 90 days! Can get a bit iffy when she is away from her family and friends for so long and has not a lot to do.

Also she should check out the Travel Insurance aspect, certainly the last time my Mum came that cost more than the flight and that was for weeks not months.
I understand that but I can help her navigate the forms.

Yes she wants to come out for 4-6 months. She hates the cold in the UK and would love the opportunity to spend more time with her Great Grandchild.

Yes, she is coming for 6 weeks at Christmas and we could the travel insurance was almost as much as the flight also because she is over 75.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Make sure your Gran has good medical insurance for a stay of 4 to 6 months.......
Yes, Its proving tough to find reasonable cost insurance with her being over 75 but we are happy to cover the cost if she is able to visit for a longer period.

​​​​​​​Thanks all!
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The B2 is what most Europeans use to come to the US for the winter months. Our southern states are filled with multi-nationals from November through March. Of course, most of them are retired and that is why they have a far better chance of being accepted for a B2 then someone younger who is just wanting to backpack through the US or spend time 'living' in the US with their romantic interests for more than the 90 days under the VWP.

As she's in Scotland, and I don't know the answer, can she go to the US Consulate in Scotland for the B2 interview?

Glad she is coming for the holiday. She will get to spend the colder months in the US at the very least and you'll will get the opportunity to see what having her daily in your lives for 6 weeks will be like and she will find out if she can hack being around you'll for such a long period. I know that I couldn't be around either of my children or grandchildren for that length of time without changing my return ticket.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 17th 2018 at 4:19 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

I seriously doubt she will have an issue getting a B, the process is not complicated.

Travel Insurance is another matter and gets worse as each year passes.

I would check out the long term Travel Insurance options first.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DottM

Yes, Its proving tough to find reasonable cost insurance with her being over 75 but we are happy to cover the cost if she is able to visit for a longer period.

Thanks all!
Over 75, so would be surprised if she does not have some medical issues. Pre-conditions are NOT usually covered by private medical insurance, so the cost of paying for medical treatment etc is something to seriously think about when staying in the US for a long period.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 9:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Over 75, so would be surprised if she does not have some medical issues. Pre-conditions are NOT usually covered by private medical insurance, so the cost of paying for medical treatment etc is something to seriously think about when staying in the US for a long period.
I fully understand but I'm a mother whose daughter is being treated atm for invasive breast cancer and she has NO healthcare insurance.

As the hospital has said, since they are a public hospital they have to treat her and treat her the same as any other patient with insurance. The same goes for the doctors. So far she has paid out of pocket for all the medical testing and doctors' visits but the charges for the chemo, etc., are just adding up. She will pay what she can afford monthly and there is nothing that they can do to her.

So yes, I agree, someone so ancient (age 75 -- btw I'm 70 and my husband is 77) will have pre-existing conditions so I'm sure that they have regular meds that they will bring with them. Even someone may in their 30s suffer a heart attack, gall stones, kidney stones, cancer, a hangnail, whatever or be suffering from a pre-existing condition such as diabetes, glaucoma, or whatever. Are you going to tell them not to travel because they have a pre-existing condition? or not to travel because they might get sick. Hell, I got sick in Canada while on my honeymoon and the hospital in Nova Scotia refused to treat me.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

My Grandmother was in good shape into her 80's, my Mother was not so fortunate.

With My Mother who did have a few pre existing issues she had to be individually underwritten, and whilst they would not cover existing treatments they would cover new issues which may arise out of the existing conditions, that is what effectively increased the premium, and of course if you and in a weakened state you are more likely to have issues and as we all know something stupid which would have had little impact when you are younger has a much greater consequences when you are older.

A Travel Insurer would of course look to repatriate asap, an Air Ambulance if needed is not cheap.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 4:00 am
Just Joined

B488 is an unknown quantity at this point

My mother-in-law (recently retired, early 60s) looked into the B2, even getting as far as scheduling an interview, but we decided against after speaking to an attorney. They said some prior travel history of entry and timely exit via ESTA is preferred (which she didn't have), and the presence of close family in the US was a significant mark against, even given significant ties to the UK (houses and lettings business). If you do decide to proceed, that attorney told us that one common problem is the officers are under major time pressure and might not look at evidence of UK ties properly even if she brings it. So it is best to write as many details as possible on the online form, which the officers are obligated to read in full. They also said Belfast is kinder than London right now.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 4:42 am
Account Closed

Lawyers are very rarely involved with B2 applications, pretty simple procedure.

Obviously most B2 applicants will not have a prior US travel history.

What is this magical evidence? The information they need is on the form, if there was some magical evidence they would ask for it. It is extremely unusual for anything else to be asked.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Are you going to tell them not to travel because they have a pre-existing condition? or not to travel because they might get sick. Hell, I got sick in Canada while on my honeymoon and the hospital in Nova Scotia refused to treat me.
No, I'm not saying that at all.... what I AM saying is that visiting the US for a period of 4 to 6 months, without adequate medical insurance, is risking a high medical bill.

.... and I did not imply that 70 and over is ancient.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

and there is nothing that they can do to her
They can bankrupt her - of course that doesn't make any sense since it means the debt will be discharged and (unless she has assets) they won't get a penny.

I can only imagine the charges that are racking up since one round of chemo can easily be $75k

OP - I think she would get a B, but no one can guarantee anything as you know.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies! I think I am going to go ahead and have her make an application and see what comes of it. I always take this forum to error on the side of caution so I feel positive about the application.

It really is amazing but she has no existing health issues. She walks 4 miles a day round trip to go get a newspaper from the shop, doesn't take any medications. She runs a local ladies group and plans all the vents for them and uses her free bus pass to travel the country on the weekends. In fact the only thing that is wrong with her is her political views.... but that is subjective .

Thanks everyone!

Scott