Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anabanana's "which visa?" questions

Anabanana's "which visa?" questions

Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:44 am
Just Joined

LittleFlowerGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anabanana's "which visa?" questions

Originally Posted by anabanana
Hello,
I have recently started dating a American guy. I really would like to move to America. Ever since I have had a few relatives die I have not done anything for myself and this is the first time I have ever wanted anything like this.

I work for Fidelity a multinational company with offices in the United States, I also have a relative who is a LPR. I just need some advice, I understand that in this climate that Americans are wary about immigrants taking work away from them. I honestly do not want to do that and from the visas available it looks like your government do not want to do that either.

I just want some advice on what I can do.

I do not want to get married as it is very expensive and does not mean much nowadays what with people getting divorced after a few weeks.

I am asking what kind of visa I should apply for, is there any one who can help me with this? I would like to transfer with Fidelity but I understand from the embassy that to transfer you have to be an executive and do a job noone else can do. Also the relative visas it looks like only US citizens can sponsor relatives and not LPRs.

Why is it so impossible for someone with little family who has fallen in love and doesnt want to get married just yet to move to the country to be with their loved one.

This means so much to me. I just need some advice on what I can do if anything. It seems so impossible. Im sorry for the long blurb im in tears writing this as im soo confused and I dont know what to do.

Thank you for your time and advice.

A
Anabanana-

I truly feel your pain. I've been dating my man (a UK Citizen or UKC) for 8 months, and we've both already visited each other's country. He was here for a week in April, and I just spent two weeks there in September. During my visit, we had a lot of deep discussions about where we wanted to take our relationship, and what our options were....

We also want to be together, but would rather not marry just to obtain that togetherness. We want to marry because we want to be married, if that makes sense? It's not that we don't want to marry.

I also do not have much holding me down in this country. I have an extensive family, but we're all secure in our relationships with each other and relatively independant with our own lives, so if I were to leave, not much would change. I also have the added benefit of not owning any property, or having any children...essentially, I could up and go at any time, my main issue being that I'd have to break the lease on my apartment and find somewhere for all my crap to go. Still not really that difficult, due to the dearth of storage places in the States. I'm as eager to get back to the UK as you are eager to get to the US....all for the love of a good man. However, having said that....

You have to understand, the US government is strict on a lot of things. Don't get me wrong, I love my country....but we still have a lot to learn, being somewhat juvenile as far as countries go. Referring to how long we've been in existance as a country, not necessarily our attitude, though that sometimes is the case as well. Unfortunately, the government's main concern is indeed the restriction of "undesirables" ("give me your poor, your tired, huddled masses yearning to be free", indeed!) and the advancement of our economy - hence the restrictions unless you're eligible for asylum (how humanitarian of us, lol), or have a ton of money to invest, or can do something nobody else can do. Like, say, fashion model. *pukes in my mouth a little* As if we need more of *that*.

I will agree the rules are not necessarily fair to citizens on an individual basis. Love doesn't matter - unless it's leading to marriage. (I'm trying very hard not to bash the US or turn this into a political argument.) If you're not ready to make that kind of commitment - and I completely sympathise with you - then you *must* explore other options. In all honesty, you're probably making more money where you are, and you have the NHS on your side as well. I agree with the poster who said that if he loves you as much as you love him, he should also be exploring relocating....after all, it doesn't much matter *where* you are, as long as you're there together, yeah?

If you love him, and he loves you, no matter what happens, you'll make it through time. Love him as much as you can from afar, come over for a holiday or two, have him come over to your side of the pond and bring his child...you may find he loves the country and is more receptive to relocating himself. It's nice to hear your determination...but realism is also important...no matter WHAT path you take, US to UK or vice versa, they both take extensive time and money, as well as mountains of paperwork. Don't think any of this is fast or easy...and please, please, don't try to do anything dodgy or illegal....if you're caught, you'll be sent home, and not allowed to return. EVER. Talk about an unhappy ending?

Just bear in mind everything takes time. If you're meant to be, you're meant to be.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:19 am
Just Joined

anabanana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LittleFlowerGirl
Anabanana-

I truly feel your pain. I've been dating my man (a UK Citizen or UKC) for 8 months, and we've both already visited each other's country. He was here for a week in April, and I just spent two weeks there in September. During my visit, we had a lot of deep discussions about where we wanted to take our relationship, and what our options were....

We also want to be together, but would rather not marry just to obtain that togetherness. We want to marry because we want to be married, if that makes sense? It's not that we don't want to marry.

I also do not have much holding me down in this country. I have an extensive family, but we're all secure in our relationships with each other and relatively independant with our own lives, so if I were to leave, not much would change. I also have the added benefit of not owning any property, or having any children...essentially, I could up and go at any time, my main issue being that I'd have to break the lease on my apartment and find somewhere for all my crap to go. Still not really that difficult, due to the dearth of storage places in the States. I'm as eager to get back to the UK as you are eager to get to the US....all for the love of a good man. However, having said that....

You have to understand, the US government is strict on a lot of things. Don't get me wrong, I love my country....but we still have a lot to learn, being somewhat juvenile as far as countries go. Referring to how long we've been in existance as a country, not necessarily our attitude, though that sometimes is the case as well. Unfortunately, the government's main concern is indeed the restriction of "undesirables" ("give me your poor, your tired, huddled masses yearning to be free", indeed!) and the advancement of our economy - hence the restrictions unless you're eligible for asylum (how humanitarian of us, lol), or have a ton of money to invest, or can do something nobody else can do. Like, say, fashion model. *pukes in my mouth a little* As if we need more of *that*.

I will agree the rules are not necessarily fair to citizens on an individual basis. Love doesn't matter - unless it's leading to marriage. (I'm trying very hard not to bash the US or turn this into a political argument.) If you're not ready to make that kind of commitment - and I completely sympathise with you - then you *must* explore other options. In all honesty, you're probably making more money where you are, and you have the NHS on your side as well. I agree with the poster who said that if he loves you as much as you love him, he should also be exploring relocating....after all, it doesn't much matter *where* you are, as long as you're there together, yeah?

If you love him, and he loves you, no matter what happens, you'll make it through time. Love him as much as you can from afar, come over for a holiday or two, have him come over to your side of the pond and bring his child...you may find he loves the country and is more receptive to relocating himself. It's nice to hear your determination...but realism is also important...no matter WHAT path you take, US to UK or vice versa, they both take extensive time and money, as well as mountains of paperwork. Don't think any of this is fast or easy...and please, please, don't try to do anything dodgy or illegal....if you're caught, you'll be sent home, and not allowed to return. EVER. Talk about an unhappy ending?

Just bear in mind everything takes time. If you're meant to be, you're meant to be.
Thank you so much for your honesty, I hope that we both find the happiness we deserve. Don't worry I am not going to do anything dodgy, I have already resigned myself to the holidays over there. As you say what will be will be.

Anyway whats not to say something good will come of this?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabanana
Actually if you are cautioned it goes on your police record and does count towards a criminal offence. Whilst it is a minor discretion, it does remain on your record for a minimum 6 years.

No I have never been in trouble with the law.

Thanks for the simplified version.
Apart from the '6 years' that's what she meant.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Ever thought about working for the USCIS? They NEED you! LOL