Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Anabanana's "which visa?" questions

Anabanana's "which visa?" questions

Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:19 am
Just Joined

anabanana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anabanana's "which visa?" questions

Hello,
I have recently started dating a American guy. I really would like to move to America. Ever since I have had a few relatives die I have not done anything for myself and this is the first time I have ever wanted anything like this.

I work for Fidelity a multinational company with offices in the United States, I also have a relative who is a LPR. I just need some advice, I understand that in this climate that Americans are wary about immigrants taking work away from them. I honestly do not want to do that and from the visas available it looks like your government do not want to do that either.

I just want some advice on what I can do.

I do not want to get married as it is very expensive and does not mean much nowadays what with people getting divorced after a few weeks.

I am asking what kind of visa I should apply for, is there any one who can help me with this? I would like to transfer with Fidelity but I understand from the embassy that to transfer you have to be an executive and do a job noone else can do. Also the relative visas it looks like only US citizens can sponsor relatives and not LPRs.

Why is it so impossible for someone with little family who has fallen in love and doesnt want to get married just yet to move to the country to be with their loved one.

This means so much to me. I just need some advice on what I can do if anything. It seems so impossible. Im sorry for the long blurb im in tears writing this as im soo confused and I dont know what to do.

Thank you for your time and advice.

A
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living/working in the US

Originally Posted by anabanana
Hello,
I have recently started dating a American guy. I really would like to move to America. Ever since I have had a few relatives die I have not done anything for myself and this is the first time I have ever wanted anything like this.

I work for Fidelity a multinational company with offices in the United States, I also have a relative who is a LPR. I just need some advice, I understand that in this climate that Americans are wary about immigrants taking work away from them. I honestly do not want to do that and from the visas available it looks like your government do not want to do that either.

I do not want to get married as it is very expensive and does not mean much nowadays what with people getting divorced after a few weeks.

I am asking what kind of visa I should apply for, is there any one who can help me with this? I would like to transfer with Fidelity but I understand from the embassy that to transfer you have to be an executive and do a job noone else can do. Also the relative visas it looks like only US citizens can sponsor relatives and not LPRs.

Why is it so impossible for someone with little family who has fallen in love and doesnt want to get married just yet to move to the country to be with their loved one.

This means so much to me. I just need some advice on what I can do if anything. It seems so impossible. Im sorry for the long blurb im in tears writing this as im soo confused and I dont know what to do.

A
Sorry, but I do not see any point in sugar-coating this:

- At this moment, the US do not issue any Burger-King or Cart-Before-Horse visas.

- The only option that seems to be potentially available to you is to get engaged to or marry your American guy and have him petition for you.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anabanana's "which visa?" questions

Hi A, Welcome to BE.

Your first step should be to read this link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA. This tells you all the available visas you can get to live and work in the USA. If you find a good match, then you go for the visa.

If you find yourself not matching up with any of those visas, then you probably can't move to the USA.

By far your two best bets right now are the L visa (for company transfer) or a visa through marriage to your boyfriend (either the K-1 fiance or the CR-1 Immigrant spouse visa).

Give it some thought and get back to us with any questions.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It might not mean a lot to you, but it means everything to immigration when they are basing a visa on it.

Don't forget, it's a two-way street. If he is as anxious to live together as you are, he should also be looking for ways to immigrate to the UK.

Rene
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Getting married can actually be extremely cheap.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-weds-man.html

Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

1. I work for Fidelity a multinational company with offices in the United States, I also have a relative who is a LPR.

2. I do not want to get married as it is very expensive and does not mean much nowadays what with people getting divorced after a few weeks.

3. I am asking what kind of visa I should apply for, is there any one who can help me with this? I would like to transfer with Fidelity but I understand from the embassy that to transfer you have to be an executive and do a job noone else can do. .

4. Why is it so impossible for someone with little family who has fallen in love and doesnt want to get married just yet to move to the country to be with their loved one.

1 - Have you asked Fidelity about a transfer?

2 - A City Hall wedding is not expensive. And marriage is as meaningful as you make it.

3 - Once again, have you asked Fidelity yet?

4 - There is no "live with my American boyfriend/girlfriend" visa. Sorry.

You said you "recently" started dating your American. How recent? If you don't know this guy very well, are you sure you want to turn your life upside down for him?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:43 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

A
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Getting married is by far your easiest option.

You can get married very cheaply, for the ceremony we paid around $250, had FIL and wife as witnesses, they took us for dinner at a very nice restaurant at their expense. My dress bought in the UK was around 150pounds, and my little girls dress around 60pounds. Witnesses and minister took our pictures with our digital cameras. My ring cost a fair bit, but could easily have been cheaper, hubby didn't get one.

Er that was it.

Other than the flights to California and 3 weeks travelling around and staying in fab hotels But obviously this is an expense you can do without.

Good luck

Last edited by N1cky; Oct 1st 2009 at 8:48 am. Reason: Forgot my ring.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good news in the Mail!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sorry, but I do not see any point in sugar-coating this:

- At this moment, the US do not issue any Burger-King or Cart-Before-Horse visas.

- The only option that seems to be potentially available to you is to get engaged to or marry your American guy and have him petition for you.
I do not want a horse and cart or burger king visa.. I dont know what they are but I am pretty sure they are not an option as a visa after reading the original visa post.

Marriage is not an option at this time. I cannot afford marriage, I have seen what divorce does to people and I do not want that to happen just yet.

I have asked Fidelity but every HR team I have asked say they dont know, so I am trying to find out myself.

My boyfriend has a 3 year old daughter in the US and so cannot move at this time.

So its down to me and I want to upheave my life. i have nothing here. I am asking for advice, please?

Last edited by anabanana; Oct 1st 2009 at 8:52 am.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:51 am

So its down to me and I want to upheave my life. i have nothing here. I am asking for advice, please?
Did you read the link to Pulaski's Ways that I posted yet? That's the place to get started.

Rene
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:55 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage is not an option at this time. I cannot afford marriage, I have seen what divorce does to people and I do not want that to happen just yet.
Divorce has no more of an effect as splitting up with a long term partner. House, money, possessions, kids, pets.... All major upheavel and heartbreak, piece of paper or not.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Im sorry I want this more than anything in the world.. I dont want to give up but it feels like im going to have to. sorry
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Did you read the link to Pulaski's Ways that I posted yet? That's the place to get started.

Rene
I did but I am still confused sorry.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:58 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am asking for advice, please?
I don't think you are. You're certainly not listening to it.

Chances are it's marriage or nothing.

Fidelity will only be good if you're up high or do a highly specialized job there. Run of the mill stuff and they're not going to transfer you -- though I'm sure they'd be happy to employ you if you were here with work permission already.

The rest of the chances are in Pulaski's Ways. It's much easier if you read it. We've all read it three times....so we don't need to read it again. In fact, some of us even wrote parts of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.