Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

The Olde Ping Pong Story :-)

The Olde Ping Pong Story :-)

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:44 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Olde Ping Pong Story :-)

Hey John,
How are you liking it back in Australia :-)? We love being back in Cairns, need to find a job though (hubby could start straight away in his 'old' job). Fingers crossed :-), it'll work out though. Makes it a bit easier on the money side of things .
Cheers, Miranda
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tum
Hey John,
How are you liking it back in Australia :-)? We love being back in Cairns, need to find a job though (hubby could start straight away in his 'old' job). Fingers crossed :-), it'll work out though. Makes it a bit easier on the money side of things .
Cheers, Miranda
hi miranda, yeah were loving being back, i spent the first 5 weeks here on my own, family joined later due to work in the uk ect, i dropped back into my old job and really enjoy being back, hows things in cairns, is it as nice as i hear?. i looked at a job in townsville a year or so back but it seemed a bit isolated for us. we still wonder if we should have given it a go.
john
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 8:04 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns is a beautiful place, but it all depends on what you like. It can get really sticky up here during summer en that can be a bit of a bother is you work outside or in a non-air-conditioned (as most of them :-) ) workshop. Do not know much about Townsville though, only know that it is mostly flat and does not have the gorgeous scenery like up here. Would love to check out Perth sometime as I have never been there and see what that is like. We also like the Sunshine Coast but you have to start somewhere (again ) so Cairns it was. We keep all our options open though .
Old Jan 5th 2012, 8:48 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I remember you

glad to hear you've pinged back

all the best for the future

sue x
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:01 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
I remember you

glad to hear you've pinged back

all the best for the future

sue x
Thanks Sue, it's good to be back
How are you doing?

Last edited by tum; Jan 6th 2012 at 9:04 am.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

glad things are working out on your move back. i loved Cairns as well.
I have been back in Uk just over a year and wished I was still in OZ. Made a huge mistake coming back, thought I was homesick and after a week realised i wasnt. only in Oz for 8 months. would go back tomorrow buu not to the same job. hated that and was one of the reasons i threw the towel in but in hindsight no worse than the one in Uk.
still got PR visa but wife would go as she never wanted to come back and did it for me as i was being my usual selfish self. dont think i could do it to my 13 year old daughter again even though she settled well the 18 year old hated it and i think we would have to drag him back and leaving him wouldnt be an option to the family. if only i listened to my wife and stuck it out. was justing going through the normal emotions even though it felt like grieving.
would love to ping pong
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:34 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Tum, hope it works out for u this time, big hugs, Jen xo
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:55 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Welcome back Tum, hope it works out for u this time, big hugs, Jen xo
Thanks Jen :-)
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:00 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by garyp
glad things are working out on your move back. i loved Cairns as well.
I have been back in Uk just over a year and wished I was still in OZ. Made a huge mistake coming back, thought I was homesick and after a week realised i wasnt. only in Oz for 8 months. would go back tomorrow buu not to the same job. hated that and was one of the reasons i threw the towel in but in hindsight no worse than the one in Uk.
still got PR visa but wife would go as she never wanted to come back and did it for me as i was being my usual selfish self. dont think i could do it to my 13 year old daughter again even though she settled well the 18 year old hated it and i think we would have to drag him back and leaving him wouldnt be an option to the family. if only i listened to my wife and stuck it out. was justing going through the normal emotions even though it felt like grieving.
would love to ping pong
Can relate totally to thinking you are feeling something and in hindsight it was not that! Having said that, you probably also felt like looking through a magnifying glass and not being able to think 'normal' :-). Then again, I needed that to know what I wanted and feeling content about it.....if that makes sense. At least you have your lovely family hey....you guys did stick together and that is worth a lot!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back!
Good luck with the jobs etc
Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Even as you are fighting those waves of homesickness, Australia is (sometimes) working its magic. Unfortunately, you don't realize it until you get back to the UK.

Stay in OZ until you have your citizenship, or at least permanent residence.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 2:58 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by saveme
Even as you are fighting those waves of homesickness, Australia is (sometimes) working its magic. Unfortunately, you don't realize it until you get back to the UK.

Stay in OZ until you have your citizenship, or at least permanent residence.
Mmmhhh wish that would be possible, but being a Dutchie our wonderful government thinks differently about dual citizenship/nationalities. If I would accept/go for the Australian nationality I would lose my Dutch one. Luckily we do have permanent residency and can apply for a RRV as we meet the requirements :-). At the moment though (if NL does not change its current legislation) our son will be able to have dual nationality as he was younger than 13 before moving over here (you have to have lived in Oz continuously for 5 years before your 18th birthday)...how strange is that....but good for Uni fees :-).

Cheers, Miranda