Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

The Olde Ping Pong Story :-)

The Olde Ping Pong Story :-)

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:21 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute
Red face The Olde Ping Pong Story :-)

Hi,

I don't know if there are many people left who know me, but I've already seen a few. Nice to 'see' you all again and sorry for disappearing kinda, the way I did. Just being busy with all sorts of stuf.

We arrived in Cairns June 08. Hubby found work, so did I eventually, our son had a lovely time at school and fitted in nicely. So why oh why did we do what we did! We always said that we would see where this adventure would bring us and evaluate after 2 years. So.....January 11 we relocated back again. Why???? Well because I missed my family (mum especially), friends, work opportunities etc. Having a great hubby, he said, I can't see you change your mind in a years time if we plod along, so we packed up, paid the container and did a Ping Pong.

Having lived here for 5 months now, I realised after pretty much 3 or 4 months that all the things I thought would be important for me over here (except for my mum, love her to bits) aren't that important at all. I really do praise the OH for supporting me in experiencing this for real (he doesn't read this, otherwise he would be having me making coffee, giving him beers, back rubs etc. all the time, you know the old guilt thing ).

So.....we want to move back...yes to Cairns....so will let you know how we go.

Cheers
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Olde Ping Pong Story :-)

Originally Posted by tum
Hi,

I don't know if there are many people left who know me, but I've already seen a few. Nice to 'see' you all again and sorry for disappearing kinda, the way I did. Just being busy with all sorts of stuf.

We arrived in Cairns June 08. Hubby found work, so did I eventually, our son had a lovely time at school and fitted in nicely. So why oh why did we do what we did! We always said that we would see where this adventure would bring us and evaluate after 2 years. So.....January 11 we relocated back again. Why???? Well because I missed my family (mum especially), friends, work opportunities etc. Having a great hubby, he said, I can't see you change your mind in a years time if we plod along, so we packed up, paid the container and did a Ping Pong.

Having lived here for 5 months now, I realised after pretty much 3 or 4 months that all the things I thought would be important for me over here (except for my mum, love her to bits) aren't that important at all. I really do praise the OH for supporting me in experiencing this for real (he doesn't read this, otherwise he would be having me making coffee, giving him beers, back rubs etc. all the time, you know the old guilt thing ).

Cheers
Hi,

I remember you

It seems that you needed to go back, to be able to move forward. I really hope you manage to get back without too much trouble. Keep us updated
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Hi,

Cheers
Hi Miranda, how are you?

You obviously needed to do a little pinging to realise you needed to pong right back!

Hope the planning to move back goes smoothly xx

N
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:30 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much guys. I love your comments, so true! Our son Joe (almost 10) will have to go back to school August 19th. We promised him and ourselves we would make a firm decision before that date!! We all need to feel grounded, and I think the only way to realise that is making a decision hey.

Hahaha, I am currently working at a community council 35 k's away. Good job, nice pay and my boss asked me today if I had seen the advertised position at a council nearby where we live. And..if I would decide to apply, would I be so kind to let him know, no hard feelings (he means that for real, good hey). Boy oh boy, will he be surprised if/when I tell him, sorry I have to give notice...oh have you applied for that position??....eeeeuuuhhh, no....we're going to Cairns hahahaha.

Anyway, thanks Curly, thanks Wendy, you really deserve the special K and a nice glass of wine , cheers!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 4:38 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you well. Sometimes one has to go back to deal with those last remaining emotional issues.

Just hope the whole thing doesn't cost you toooooo much.

I was lucky, I had no family left in the UK and my wife is an Aussie. So there's never really been a contest about where to be.

Hopefully you have PR or some sort of valid visa?

All the best.

A.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:43 pm
tum
destination Cairns

Thanks A , we do have a PR which is still valid
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
Thanks so much guys. I love your comments, so true! Our son Joe (almost 10) will have to go back to school August 19th. We promised him and ourselves we would make a firm decision before that date!! We all need to feel grounded, and I think the only way to realise that is making a decision hey.

Hahaha, I am currently working at a community council 35 k's away. Good job, nice pay and my boss asked me today if I had seen the advertised position at a council nearby where we live. And..if I would decide to apply, would I be so kind to let him know, no hard feelings (he means that for real, good hey). Boy oh boy, will he be surprised if/when I tell him, sorry I have to give notice...oh have you applied for that position??....eeeeuuuhhh, no....we're going to Cairns hahahaha.

Anyway, thanks Curly, thanks Wendy, you really deserve the special K and a nice glass of wine , cheers!
I'm always up for a glass of vino...cheers
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:20 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

I have often wondered if we made the right move coming here and if we should go back. We've been fortunate enough to get over to the UK most years and the first few days there always unsettle me beyond belief. However, like you've just found, after a little while, all those reasons we left in the first place creep back on us and we realise we made the right move in the first place.

I hope everything works out for you
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:35 pm
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by herrchook
I have often wondered if we made the right move coming here and if we should go back. We've been fortunate enough to get over to the UK most years and the first few days there always unsettle me beyond belief. However, like you've just found, after a little while, all those reasons we left in the first place creep back on us and we realise we made the right move in the first place.

I hope everything works out for you
Spot on . Thanks hey.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 5:40 pm
tum
destination Cairns

Have just given notice and they were really surprised. They would have expected me to accept another job in a town nearby where I live. But......everyone was happy for me/us......go for it they said! My boss was very professional and said, hey...I don't want you to go :-) ....but life is full of choices ...and we will sort things out over here, not to worry. Wow, that reaction really impressed me.

Does this mean we are really really really going back? Almost.............will let you guys know in a couple of days. Just a couple of things to sort out.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tum
Hi,

Cheers
Hi - hope it all works out for you. We are in a similar situation - went to Sydney for 3 years from Auckland - and came back to Auckland without really thinking properly considering what we were doing. We always said at the outset we would go to OZ for 2 to 3 years and then probably come back to NZ (as I'd lived here 9 years before and OH is a Kiwi) and kind of got stuck in that mindset.
Now I am desparate to get back to Sydney once my current contract ends as there is just so much I miss & career opportunities are very limited in NZ (worse since the GFC) as we are such a little country.
I feel like a real dork that we could not have worked this out at the outset before we made the move back 15 months ago, but life's not like that - sometimes you have to make the decision & move to realise what it is that you do really want. If we hadn't come back we'd have always been wondering if we should have. I now realised that my OH and I changed quite a bit as people in Australia for 3 years & now want different things out of life than what we did say 5 years ago.
Good luck for your move back - it sounds like you have thought it through and life is too short to be just OK when you know you could be happier somewhere else.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:47 am
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Hi - hope it all works out for you. We are in a similar situation - went to Sydney for 3 years from Auckland - and came back to Auckland without really thinking properly considering what we were doing. We always said at the outset we would go to OZ for 2 to 3 years and then probably come back to NZ (as I'd lived here 9 years before and OH is a Kiwi) and kind of got stuck in that mindset.
Now I am desparate to get back to Sydney once my current contract ends as there is just so much I miss & career opportunities are very limited in NZ (worse since the GFC) as we are such a little country.
I feel like a real dork that we could not have worked this out at the outset before we made the move back 15 months ago, but life's not like that - sometimes you have to make the decision & move to realise what it is that you do really want. If we hadn't come back we'd have always been wondering if we should have. I now realised that my OH and I changed quite a bit as people in Australia for 3 years & now want different things out of life than what we did say 5 years ago.
Good luck for your move back - it sounds like you have thought it through and life is too short to be just OK when you know you could be happier somewhere else.
Thanks for you reply. I really had to laugh about the 'dork' comment, that's what I thought after a while, why didn't I push through the feeling of homesickness and set some goals. But hey, I just didn't see things 'for real' anymore, that reality check I made over here, just like you did in NZ. I love your comment about ' life is too short to be just OK..' so true. Good luck to you to for your move back! We'll get there hey at least we are in that lucky position that we can make those choices and have those options to go for the life that suits us! Can't wait to smell the air, feel the humidity (Cairns), go to the fresh water creeks, avoid the pot holes during the wet season and and..and..and...and..
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:02 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazing you stuck together ping ponging, would break a lot of relationships that....hope you find what you lookin for.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 4:49 pm
tum
destination Cairns

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Amazing you stuck together ping ponging, would break a lot of relationships that....hope you find what you lookin for.
Thanks . I mean, not that we didn't have the odd (ahum) discussion about it but ... we stuck together..............and are happy about it.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

was just about to put a post on here about the old ping pong, read yours and it summed up what i was going to write, only difference is we arrived aug 09, headed back in may 11, flying back to aus in 2 days, bloody container has only just arrived as well, good luck back in cairns.

Originally Posted by tum
Hi,

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.