Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

The obligatory '2 year' thread.

The obligatory '2 year' thread.

Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The obligatory '2 year' thread.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
And there's something wrong with that??? I'd prefer to be happy than see negatives in everything!

Here comes another boring Melbourne weekend - setting up my raised beds for my veggie garden today then riding the bay tomorrow on my mates vast power boat.

Life's what you make it.....

BB
Jesus! What a boaster. Are you David Hasselhoff?
How very 1980's. I rest my case on Australia.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The obligatory '2 year' thread.

Originally Posted by kevin747
Jesus! What a boaster.
It's amazing what an average bloke from a 3-bed semi in England can achieve in the lucky country!

BB
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There ya go stuckinblighty....I hope you've seen the error of your ways now and popped out today and procured a vast power boat!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

And there's something wrong with that??? I'd prefer to be happy than see negatives in everything!
Hmmm, maybe we should review some of your posts on the subject of NZ!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing what an average bloke from a 3-bed semi in England can achieve in the lucky country!

BB
Absolutely! A mate with a VAST power boat. I wish I was you.What an achievement.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hmmm, maybe we should review some of your posts on the subject of NZ!
Ah-ha! I wondered when someone would point that out.

I had real trouble in NZ. I couldnt get work, I found everything expensive. So instead of whinging about it, I left. Then I went back to school at the age of 30 and studied for a career change that would make me more employable down under. Once I had several years experience at my new career, I returned down under, although to Australia, not NZ, and have had a great experience.

So situations can be changed, although I never did get over the bad experience I had in NZ and if I post about NZ, I do see a lot of myself in posts such as Lee's about Australia.

However at the moment this forum in general is very negative. I theorise that this may be due to the current exchange rate, and people finding things very expensive here? I am definitely over the top in evangelising Victoria. I am desperately trying to offer some sort of a balance for this fantastic, stunning, exciting part of the world that I have been lucky enough to be allowed to live in.

BB

ps its not that vast a boat
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

I had real trouble in NZ. I couldnt get work, I found everything expensive. So instead of whinging about it, I left.
...but still bag it out, 'third world country' etc. Meanwhile there are people over on the NZ forum who love the place. You must've spent your time over there watching Premiership footy and searching for your next pint of Watney's red barrel!

I don't think the forum is especially negative (there's always an evangalist waiting to say the things people want to hear), especially when it comes to Vic & Melbourne...if any one place generally gets the thumbs up from the residents it's here.

ps...is this the boat?

Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

...but still bag it out, 'third world country' etc. Meanwhile there are people over on the NZ forum who love the place.
Sheesh I never knew you were listening! Yeh, as I said, I see a lot of myself in Lee and other's posts and I'm not proud of it.

You must've spent your time over there watching Premiership footy and searching for your next pint of Watney's red barrel!
No, but I did totally fail to assimilate, and remained very English. Now my wife has a go at me for assimilating too much in Australian life and forgetting my roots!

I don't think the forum is especially negative (there's always an evangalist waiting to say the things people want to hear), especially when it comes to Vic & Melbourne...if any one place generally gets the thumbs up from the residents it's here.
Yep I would 100% agree. Bloody Watney's drinking soccer watching QLDers and Sandgropers

Mate, now you've given the game away.

BB
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:45 am
Victorian Evangelist

ps Lee I'm sorry the way your update thread has gone, mea culpa. I wish that it had worked out for you, as I wish it works for everyone, and everyone's circumstances are different. I still wonder whether you would have been happier if you had lived down the peninsula, it took me a long time to get over the fact that my wife didn't want to live down there too.

Still love it here though!

BB
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Dee01 is on a distinguished road

We all have different experiences, I have "ping ponged" back and forth (me and my daughter) I love and missed England every time. It's taken me 3.5 years to decide but I am heading back for a 3rd time to Brisbane with my new hubby and baby son and know what to expect, my decision has been based on my 2 yr old and I don't want him growing up in UK. Food... much more expensive in Aus but at end of day I think most things balance out, ended up going to grocer and butcher in Aus and not buying every day crap one buys at tesco's. Cars are cheaper to buy here in UK I admit, didn't get the same for my money in Aus! mmm no "MOT" so cars have longer "life" in Aus so moral of story, buy the car you love, look after it and you won't be forced to scrap a totally good car after 5 years and it has a re-sale value!!!. My job prospects here in Uk are really bad at moment, I have been attempting job prospects after maternity and have been offered same salary which I earned in 2001 unless I am prepared to travel to London or Reading. Wages are frozen for last couple of years but cost of living and property has tripled here in Uk. I'm in the midlands not London area so may be different for them.

My husband has not been to Aus, was totally against it... was a self employed builder until 5 years ago his back was done in and after many operations now works on the local council, his wage has gone DOWN by £300 a month in the last year due to "ring fencing", accept it or be out of work when there is not much around! only to be told they "ring fencing" again after the new budget two weeks ago. Our local village is like something from a horror film...all boarded up and the nearest town same is happening! shops and businesses closing down daily! not good if you are a tradesman in the UK! I drive 4.5 miles for milk and bread and 4 miles for the nearest school as our local school is closing due to cut backs! ha ha our hospital is also going to close and the nearest is an hours drive away in Oxford! they have been lobbying for years for it not to be shut down....heres hoping! so if there is an emergency have to travel for an hour for nearest hospital!!! 3rd world country here we come!

Sorry if I am being grim but that is the case, my hubby has lived in the same village all his life and I know he will miss his mates "the locals" at the pub but already they are moving on... or can't afford their daily pint any longer. We have just been through recession and are in for another one, and with the cuts proposed for schools is unacceptable, I have a daughter who just finished GCSE's what happens after her A levels no Uni space due to cuts! and a son going to start school miles away as no school here due to cuts!!

I am aware that the cost of living has changed in Aus since I was there last as well. I may feel the same way you do after 2 years but I will probably come back on a recognissance before I make a decision.

I want my hubby to come back at least twice a year and hopefully it will work out. I know this will be my last ping pong back and forth.

have to do a Disclaimer as well This is my/our experience, and each and every person has a different story/experience!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:21 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh I never knew you were listening! Yeh, as I said, I see a lot of myself in Lee and other's posts and I'm not proud of it.
Trust me we are not the same .... and of that i am very proud.

This whole update thread was about MY opinions/experiences of Aus therefore anyones elses veiwpoint really doesnt matter !

Lee
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Trust me we are not the same .... and of that i am very proud.

This whole update thread was about MY opinions/experiences of Aus therefore anyones elses veiwpoint really doesnt matter !

Lee
You REALLY need to change your ID mate.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
Jesus! What a boaster. Are you David Hasselhoff?
How very 1980's. I rest my case on Australia.
A poor case indeed. They had boats in Scotland even last year. Or are you too busy going for walks in 'the countryside'.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:20 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You REALLY need to change your ID mate.
The irony is never lost on me mate
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:04 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

WHERE you are born makes you WHO you are.
-
Small changes in our make up occur during 7 year periods, as in the ages of man. You can expect to feel unsure in a new country for about 7 years. Hence the, "love it one day, all over the place the next."
-
You will feel homesick for many years regardless of how much you like a new place. You may not recognise that strange feeling as homesickness but that is what it is.
-
Comparisons are useless. Whatever Austrlalia is, is what it is. Price comparisons are even more useless. Only income and cost of living have any real relevance. Most goods that are cheaper, if you want them, are avaiable on the internet.
-
As a last point, SPAM (the tinned meat rubbish) is now being advertised on UK television as a good meal for middle income families. I rest my case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.