Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

The obligatory '2 year' thread.

The obligatory '2 year' thread.

Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

dolphindiva02 is a jewel in the roughdolphindiva02 is a jewel in the roughdolphindiva02 is a jewel in the roughdolphindiva02 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: The obligatory '2 year' thread.

I dont agree with anything you have said you are living in the hardest country to get into in the world, in a lovely climate and you are moaning about it???

Your home is where you make it, if you have made the choice to go to Australia you should give it your best if not for yourself but for your family. I am in the process ofcoming to Aus I travelled there 12 yearsago and have always wanted to live there, I recetly lived in Tenerife for a year and spoke tomy mum once a week by the internet when I was in the UK a month could go by and I would not speak to her. With all the technology these days you could be being like in the next room from someone, and your friendsand family will come and see you, anywhere in the world is only a plane ride away.

The UK is not so great petrol is now 1.22 per litre the government is hung and crap VAT is going up to 20% in January etc etc and the weather and climate are crap just had the worst winter ever.

Why am I moving to Aus for a better lifestyle, relaxed people, abetter job than I have here and the salarys are better for what I do (TRaining) and outdoor living.

I hope I do not sound like you two years on? But I know I will make it as It is what Iwant to do and its my destiny I am positive and will embrace the life barbies outdoor living etc - who needs stuffy pubs anyway just sit in a cafe on the beachfront thats what its all about.

You wont be happy in the UK as it: is pants - take it from me I am here.

Louisa
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The obligatory '2 year' thread.

Originally Posted by dolphindiva02
you are living in the hardest country to get into in the world
Nonsense. A lot easier to get into than the US for example.

Your home is where you make it, if you have made the choice to go to Australia you should give it your best if not for yourself but for your family.

The UK is not so great petrol is now 1.22 per litre the government is hung and crap VAT is going up to 20% in January etc etc and the weather and climate are crap just had the worst winter ever.

It's funny...the people that trot out 'life is what you make it' often proceed to bag out the UK like that - seems the mantra doesn't apply there??
Old Jul 7th 2010, 9:44 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I dont agree with anything you have said you are living in the hardest country to get into in the world, in a lovely climate and you are moaning about it???

Your home is where you make it, if you have made the choice to go to Australia you should give it your best if not for yourself but for your family. I am in the process ofcoming to Aus I travelled there 12 yearsago and have always wanted to live there, I recetly lived in Tenerife for a year and spoke tomy mum once a week by the internet when I was in the UK a month could go by and I would not speak to her. With all the technology these days you could be being like in the next room from someone, and your friendsand family will come and see you, anywhere in the world is only a plane ride away.

Why am I moving to Aus for a better lifestyle, relaxed people, abetter job than I have here and the salarys are better for what I do (TRaining) and outdoor living.

I hope I do not sound like you two years on? But I know I will make it as It is what Iwant to do and its my destiny I am positive and will embrace the life barbies outdoor living etc - who needs stuffy pubs anyway just sit in a cafe on the beachfront thats what its all about.

Louisa
Bless you sweetheart! There are plenty on here, who have thought just like you before they moved to the other side of the world... It is often a case of been there, thought that and worn said t-shirt.....
No one place in the world suits us all. We are all unique. The world would be a boring place if this were not the case....
Skype may be sufficient for you and your family to maintain ties, but it's sadly lacking for others.

£1.22 ltre for petrol, VAT and a bit of rain (it actually rains more in Sydney than it does in London) is hardly a reason to move to another country.... and if you are running away from what you perceive to be the faults of the UK, I'm afraid that you will find an equal number of negatives in Aus. Not necessarily the same negatives, but nevertheless negatives.

I hope that Australia lives up to your expectations and that you are happy once you make the move.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting comments!

I think maybe if you make the big move when you are in your late 30's or early 40's then for some people it will just be hard to fully adjust because you're just too British! Some things I've found it easy to adapt to and others much harder. Maybe like Mag's daughter it's much easier when you are 18!

I also think what you earn plays an important part and if you are struggling or haven't got much left over each month you are NOT going to enjoy the place as much as you can.

It's a shame Lee you weren't able to come down to Mornington as it is the best place to live! Our Berwick friends are trying to move out and down the Peninsula! I think liking where you live does make a difference, whilst I miss being close to the city from when we were in Brighton I did miss the countryside and beaches with a bit of character!

I've just come back from a few weeks in Blighty but even there, there are places I would still live and places I wouldn't now, just because of our Aussie experience. The UK is going to be a tough place for the next few years so maybe by the time your kids have got their citizenship things might have improved!

As with regards buying property, we've jumped in partly because we'll know we'll be here for the next few years at least plus we were fed up with renting here and renting our place out and we didn't want to be off a property ladder anywhere for too long. It's a shame you can't buy at the moment Mags as I'm sure having your own place might help.

Hang in there Lee, it might grow on you one day!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Louisa
What a surprise awaits you
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

dolphindiva02 is a jewel in the roughdolphindiva02 is a jewel in the roughdolphindiva02 is a jewel in the roughdolphindiva02 is a jewel in the rough

I have always wanted to go back to living in Australia after spending a year there before, I have also lived in TENERIFE but I enjoy a oudoor lifestyle diving etc, i have no children to worry about and I am so far removed from being typically BRITISH. i dont want things to be the same as UK I hate the UK, there will be things I will undoubtble mis like Primark for clothes and Marmite ha ha. But I am going to Aus to start a new life after divorce running away to tenerife etc and Ihave a job sponsor, and am lookingfrward to the next 40 yrs of my life, life really does beging at 40 mine has this opportunity has come up for me later in my life and i am embracing the challenge, andas for family mine are completly behind me and they would never hold me back from anything I wanted to do.

I know there will be negatives about aus I am not that naive but they are worsened if you do not embrace your new culture, country etc rather than not and to behonest if you dont why emmigrate in the firstplace. I know I dont want to spend the rest of my life miserable and the uk makes me miserable, and yes i am going for the climate, lifestyle, better work prospects and outdoorliving. and i hope after my two years I will be alot more positive than some of the posts as I will make it work because i want to so much.

I wont be posting on here again until i hear from someone that has actually liked emmigrating to aus and is enjoying living there I know I will.

louisa
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:46 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The obligatory '2 year' thread.

i dont want things to be the same as UK I hate the UK,
Hate is a strong word. Australia, being a mainly white, English speaking Westernised country has a lot in common with the UK, be aware some of the things you "hate" about the UK, you may "hate" about Australia too.

I know there will be negatives about aus
Why? I haven't really found any apart from the flies in summer which are a minor annoyance.

if you do not embrace your new culture, country etc rather than not and to behonest if you dont why emmigrate in the firstplace.
Never a truer word said, I would controversially suggest that the majority of people who are not enjoying Australia have not assimilated and are still watching English soccer religiously and reading the International Express.

the uk makes me miserable,
See comments above, your misery may not be due to your surroundings. Be careful with this one, you could still be miserable in Australia.

I wont be posting on here again until i hear from someone that has actually liked emmigrating to aus and is enjoying living there I know I will.
Better start posting then, we love Australia, although we did of course pick the best part of it!

BB
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I would controversially suggest that the majority of people who are not enjoying Australia have not assimilated and are still watching English soccer religiously and reading the International Express.
I'll controversially suggest that it's that kind of utterly patronising response that I'm really fed up seeing! I very much enjoy living here, but I can't see a reason why that should be true for everyone...it's not rocket science. This constant insistence from certain quarters that anyone that decides in actual fact they preferred their life in another country is doing something wrong really baffles me!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
anyone that decides in actual fact they preferred their life in another country is doing something wrong
Maaaate. Keep your knickers on! If someone prefers the UK I have no problem with that. The problem I have is with people who come to Australia (or any other country) and then slag it off because it isn't like the UK.

BB
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:39 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'll controversially suggest that it's that kind of utterly patronising response that I'm really fed up seeing! I very much enjoy living here, but I can't see a reason why that should be true for everyone...it's not rocket science. This constant insistence from certain quarters that anyone that decides in actual fact they preferred their life in another country is doing something wrong really baffles me!
Thanks mate

There are several posters on here that are so pro-Australia it's cringeworthy to read TBH.Have a pop at anything Aussie and they try to shoot you down in flames....pathetic
Old Jul 9th 2010, 7:43 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Louisa
PMSL

You live in the UK,i'm in Aus.You can't possibly comment on what its like to live her until you've done it !

I wait with baited breath for your 2 year report.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone moving to Oz based on a trip here 12 years ago will find a very different place! Prices have risen dramatically in the last few years, work culture is now for longer hours not less so lots has changed.

I've lived here for 3.5 years and before that visited every couple of years since 1997 so I think I can comment and living here daily is still very different to holidays even though we were staying with people i.e. not hotel living.

Nowhere is perfect but you just have to balance out the pros and cons and EVERYONE is different, will have different needs and opinions so we all need to keep a balanced view.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
There are several posters on here that are so pro-Australia it's cringeworthy to read TBH.
But why shouldn't people who have made a conscious decision to live in Australia be pro-Australia? And conversely, why would you think that someone who has made a conscious decision to live in a country (as opposed to being born in it) would want to be negative about it?

BB
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:17 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
But why shouldn't people who have made a conscious decision to live in Australia be pro-Australia? And conversely, why would you think that someone who has made a conscious decision to live in a country (as opposed to being born in it) would want to be negative about it?

BB
Pros and cons.

You seem to only have positives

rose tinted glasses ?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
You seem to only have positives

rose tinted glasses ?
And there's something wrong with that??? I'd prefer to be happy than see negatives in everything!

Here comes another boring Melbourne weekend - setting up my raised beds for my veggie garden today then riding the bay tomorrow on my mates vast power boat.

Life's what you make it.....

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.