Work for wives

Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work for wives

it seems very much to ba a case of individual provinces having a different veiwpoint on certain jobs and maybe also how the company set up the application for that job, hoffmans you can see, the job was/is classed as semi skilled and the company wasn't approved for the pnp, now they are so the lads there are sorted, pei gov site tells you that the proceedure to enter via pnp is to find a job offer with a suitable employer involved in the programe and then submit your application for pnp, so basically your already in the process before you've started the job, as i understand it your then entitled to the same as anyone else doing any job via pnp in the fact that your accompianing family are entitled work?
i've emailed the pei gov office to se if the can give a clearer picture.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by john 2519
I have been working for Hoffmans for a while now and really enjoy the job, but others may give you a different impression it all depends on what you want out of the job.

I will say this who ever is telling you that your CV has been disposed of is not in the know, NO CV'S ARE IN THE BIN ALL ARE BEING CONSIDERED. I can tell you that Dave Adamson is a excelent employee and is thought very highly of within Hoffmans so bad mouthing him will not do you any favours as you to are acting in a very unproffessional manner please note that the managers of Hoffmans do take a keen interest in the expacts site.
Hi John,i do apologize if i came over as bad mouthing and of being unprofessional.John please correct if i am wrong,ARE YOU DAVE ADAMSON! Is your Name Dave John Adamson.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

onrway is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Work for wives

acording to all the paperwork we have it's true it 6 months at home unless you obtain your own work spons
er
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray_Sal
Hi all

We are still in the early stages but I have heard that once you finally get to Canada wives aren't able to work for the first 6 months. Does anyone know what the situation really is? And is it possible for me to get a work visa even if we go because my hubby has a trucking job? There is so much confusing info, I don't know where to start!

Thanks
Rubbish, I would advise for wives to apply for an open visa at the same time as applying for yours, or at Port of entry to Canada. Or Wives can apply at any stage this would mean change of conditions for work permit, having done it this way myself I would advise applying straight off, to avoid delays plus you can start searching for work from the UK. Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:03 am
Just Joined

john 2519 is an unknown quantity at this point

You must be over as a skilled worker which will entitle wives to obtain a work visa semi skilled workers, wives are allowed to work
Old Oct 11th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by john 2519
You must be over as a skilled worker which will entitle wives to obtain a work visa semi skilled workers, wives are allowed to work
Hi John, yes I am here as a skilled worker, I now have my PNP and waiting to next apply for PR. In hindsight my Wife would have applied for the open work visa at the port of entry, it is far easier and less time consuming.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulburt
well i don't mind admitting i'm totally confussed by the whole thing!
as i understand it for truck driving to fall under the skilled worker catagory it has to be listed in A or B sections of the noc, which it isn't even though to apply through pnp it must be on that provinces list of skilled work in demand which it is, in places such as pei, manitoba etc
i can't find anything official that relates to this six month waiting period for the spouse to gain a work permit, but forgetting pnp for a minute, if you go via the skilled worker route (which it seems you can't do for truck driving)then your wife can automatically apply for an open work permit but go on a tempory wp to take a driving job (ontario) then at no time can she get a wp for any type of work?
so if as a driver you go in on the pnp presumably as a "semi skilled" worker but filling a skilled job in demand in that province does that mean for the wife to work she has to apply off her own back and not go purely as a spouse?
what really confuses me is this six month bit, what happens after six months to alter her standing as regards being able to work?
As the case with a lot of things on BE a little knowledge is dangerous (or confusing)

There are no CAST IRON regulations on a spouse being able to work, although most agencies will tell you there is, there are ways for them to gain employment.

The 6 month rule everyone talks about is the time span most provinces will want you in Canada for working for your employer before you can submit your application for PNP after which your employer and you have had time to adjust to each other and the employer makes you an offer of a full time PERMANENT position.

THE FOLLOWING IS FROM MANITOBA PROV GOV:

She can accompany you, but cannot work until you are a provincial nominee.

Thank you for your interest in the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program
213 Notre Dame Avenue Suite 901
Winnipeg MB R3B 1N3

www.immigratemanitoba.com

The Provincial Government will then process that PNP application & if you’re successful you will receive a letter back from the provincial Government saying you have been nominated by that province for PNP status this letter then allows you to apply to the Federal Gov for Permanent Residency. At this point you are now a PROVINCIAL NOMINEE so I believe and from what we have been told spouse can now work.

A spouse can however apply in their own right for a job on a work permit if they gain their own Labour Market Opinion (LMO) letter, i.e. find a job that can not be filled by a Canadian Citizen however the employer will have to prove all the criteria that goes with this and they might not be willing to be bothered with the paperwork etc.

Err

Think this is all correct please come back to me if it is not.

Maybe the immigration forum is best to ask questions on this subject as there are PROPER EXPERTS viewing it all the time
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

thanks dave, as far as truck driving jobs go, it seems the probationary period is critical, only once you've completed this and as you say have a contract of "permenent employment" are you eligable for pnp which makes sense i spose? perhaps those that have been there a while and got pr very quickly served a shorter period (or maybe there were less applying at the time) but at the end of the day it dosn't make much odds, six months is hardly a long time when you plan to spend the rest of your life there!
we've decided to go about it slightly differently because the wifes work here would make her eligable for pnp in her own right over there, so she's going to make enquieries and apply for jobs while we sort the house out etc, weather she'll get a job is a different thing but if nothing else her name will be in the system when we arrive and may eventually lead to something so she ends up doing a job she enjoys.
it does seem theres a lot of info thats not printed on the official sites like renewing temp wp's, it says you must leave the country for four months etc etc once your permit has expired but theres two lads over there that say they were able to renew theirs by the companies reapplying (lmo?) and them crossing the boarder and getting a new permit which is obviously a totally different thing if you've got a house there etc.
somone posted that the wife can obtain an open wp at the port of entry, theres nothing official to sugest thats possible but you can't doubt the blokes word unless you've been over and give it a go! suspect theres a lot of ways round the different regs that may not become apparent until your actually there and getting some local info.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulburt
we've decided to go about it slightly differently because the wifes work here would make her eligable for pnp in her own right over there,so she's going to make enquieries and apply for jobs while we sort the house out etc, weather she'll get a job is a different thing
Makes good sense you can stay home then get job once your PNP comes thru Role reversal or still go out driving on your own LMO . There is a large Hospital in Charlottetown called the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

http://www.qehfoundation.pe.ca/

& also Clinics

it does seem theres a lot of info thats not printed on the official sites like renewing temp wp's, it says you must leave the country for four months etc etc once your permit has expired but theres two lads over there that say they were able to renew theirs by the companies reapplying (lmo?) and them crossing the boarder and getting a new permit
See the following statemant:

Improvements to The Temporary Foreign Worker Program

The federal government took a step forward to assist industry address labour shortages by announcing that, effective immediately, temporary foreign workers in what the government calls ‘lower skilled’ occupations will be able to work in Canada for up to two years, up from the current limit of one year, before having to return to their home country. The government is also putting its Labour Market Opinion (LMO) application process on-line and will allow work permit applications to be processed at the same time as the application for an LMO. This concurrent processing of the employer’s LMO and the foreign national’s work permit should reduce the total processing time for these applications.

The only thing I can think of is that they were on a Low skilled Temp visa and not renewed it in time before the 12 months were up hence having to re-apply or they were on a low skilled WP as above. OR they never applied for PNP or PR status which is unusual as the norm is to apply as soon as poss. Now Long Haul is classed as Skilled Worker application route this should not be an issue as you apply for PNP as a skilled worker and 2 years should be more that enough time to gain PR. LMO's are now also valid for 24 months so I was told.

somone posted that the wife can obtain an open wp at the port of entry
Yes been told that is possible but depends on where you arrive into and if the immigration officer feels like it / having a good - bad day etc etc not a definate rule again.....grey mist.

If you go to one of the Emmigrate Expo's and ask the Canadian High Commission (CHC) questions you'l get another 100 different answers from them I asked the same questions to 3 different officials and got different answers every time as I didn't understand them or belive them, even when I showed them the OP1 (procedures manual) they said err well thats just a guideline we don't always go off that it is up to the CHC officer at the time who is dealing with your application who will make decisions on what they think best...unbelieveable they are you just tear your hair out with them and I have not applied for anything YET.
You think you should ask questions to have the correct paperwork for them and ALL the answers to make everyones life and job so much easier but they are not interested.

PHEW Rant Over
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

"Makes good sense you can stay home then get job once your PNP comes thru"

not exactly what i had in mind but the thought of sitting with my feet up watching the world go by while the o/h brings home the bacon is appealing, think i may put it to her tonight, i'm just of to limber up a bit in case things turn nasty!
plan is to go down the normal route as regards take the job, do the six months etc etc but if our lass can find a job off her own back before we get there then it'll make things much simpler. as i understand it theres no problem having an application each for pnp going through at the same time, i.e which ever one comes first is the one that used, if that makes sense?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 6:08 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in Canada a week after Mal advised them he had a 2 year work permit with my name clearly marked in it and I was still only given a 6 months visitors entry visa. You are right when you say it is down to the individual officer that you go to. The guy I had really new nothing about the system and was not interested. I just took the stamp in my passport and got on my way.

I have been here a month now and will try and sort it out in the Regina office. Watch this space.

Last edited by Lorna_D; Oct 12th 2007 at 6:08 pm. Reason: spelling as ever