Work for wives

Old Sep 18th 2007, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Ray_Sal is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Work for wives

Hi all

We are still in the early stages but I have heard that once you finally get to Canada wives aren't able to work for the first 6 months. Does anyone know what the situation really is? And is it possible for me to get a work visa even if we go because my hubby has a trucking job? There is so much confusing info, I don't know where to start!

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

john 2519 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work for wives

If your husband company has PNP then you will be able to work if not then you can't even after 6 months as he is classed as semi skilled same thing happend to us.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: Work for wives

Ah, ok John thanks for that, that's really helpful. Do you mind me asking who you are working for?

Sally
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:19 am
Just Joined

RJ Hoffman in Lloydminster Alberta.

They have just received the company approval for PNP.

This allows wifes to work after they have been here 6 months.

Regards John
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Work for wives

That's realy helpful, thanks John. My hubby has just been invited to come out for an interview with Hoffmans. Would you recommend them?

Sally
Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray_Sal
That's realy helpful, thanks John. My hubby has just been invited to come out for an interview with Hoffmans. Would you recommend them?

Sally
I suggest you read the Hoffman thread from start to finish,as this will answer most of your questions
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Hi John,it appears that your in the know when it comes to Hoffmans,i e mailed my resume to Hoffmans approximately five weeks ago,i got a reply from Gerald saying" your resume has been forwarded to the Operations Manager" i later found out that a Dave Adamson {Driver at Hoffmans} threw my resume in the Bin,as i know Dave Adamson from previous employment i was surprised by his alledged actions,mind you he wasnt very well liked when at Brake Brothers in St Albans. Im sorry to bring this to your attention,i hope you understand.If these allegations are true i think he is such a coward and very unprofessional.I feel that maybe he doesnt want me to gain employment within Hoffmans for some unknown reason. John i so look forward to your reply,hopefully on this thread.Regards Phil
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

I have been working for Hoffmans for a while now and really enjoy the job, but others may give you a different impression it all depends on what you want out of the job.

I will say this who ever is telling you that your CV has been disposed of is not in the know, NO CV'S ARE IN THE BIN ALL ARE BEING CONSIDERED. I can tell you that Dave Adamson is a excelent employee and is thought very highly of within Hoffmans so bad mouthing him will not do you any favours as you to are acting in a very unproffessional manner please note that the managers of Hoffmans do take a keen interest in the expacts site.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray_Sal

Sally
Hi sally

This is my side of the story John's other half we arrived in Lloydminster the end of last year we were the first British family to come here. We had booked a hotel for a week at at that point had no where else to live RJ Hoffmans were great they welcommed us with open arms. We were hoping to rent to begin with but soon found out that rental properties are few and far between RJ Hoffmans did manage to find a a short term rental but we knew then that we were going to have to buy a house which I was very unsure of doing, however we needed to give our two children some stability this was also a huge step for them. Two weeks later our children started school (Boy 10 Grl 7). The school system here works on where you live children go to the closest school to home you can eiher take them or they can get the bus. Once they were settled and all our furniture arrived from the uk I decided that I to would like to work and like you was under the impresion that after 6 months I would be able to, however my work visa was refused due to the fact that John was here as a semi skilled worker and not skilled which is totally back to front skilled workers earn more and therefore there wives may not need to work or want to as there is probably enough income comming in. Shopping - I would probably say cheaper than the UK as everything is bigger eg washing powder bigger boxes. Meat seems expensive but again you have to take into account what you are getting alot of items sold in bulk.

Would I go back to the UK - no not now but in January/Feburary if you had asked me this I would have got on the first plane back, being the first here was hard did not know anyone and being caught in one of the coldest winter on record was not a great start, but more English families are here now and I have made alot of friends English and Canadian. John really enjoys the job both children love school and I to really love it here now and now that Hoffmans have been granted PNP my work visa has been applied for.

I hope this gives some info if theres anything else let me know.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful

Sally
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point

can i just clarify something? are we saying if the company already has pnp status and the job is on the skilled list as in some provinces, the wife can get a work permit straight away?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Please correct me if Im wrong if you are comming to Canada as a skilled worker and the company has PNP you would come over on the PNP Program which would allow wives to work as well. If you are comming as a semi-skilled worker then you have to perform the job for six months then apply for PNP which once granted wives can work. The Alberta goverment are adding many different semi-skilled jobs onto the PNP Progam as there is such a shortage of workers
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

crazy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john 2519
Please correct me if Im wrong if you are comming to Canada as a skilled worker and the company has PNP you would come over on the PNP Program which would allow wives to work as well. If you are comming as a semi-skilled worker then you have to perform the job for six months then apply for PNP which once granted wives can work. The Alberta goverment are adding many different semi-skilled jobs onto the PNP Progam as there is such a shortage of workers
Truck driving is now listed on the NOC list which makes it a skilled occupation that being said when you come over here on the PNP scheme wives are not allowed to work for the first 6 mths after which the can apply for a work permit once you have got your permanent residency you all can work without a visa even your children, however if your wife's occupation is on the NOC list then she can apply for a work permit solely on her own merrit I hope this clarifies the question.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point

well i don't mind admitting i'm totally confussed by the whole thing!
as i understand it for truck driving to fall under the skilled worker catagory it has to be listed in A or B sections of the noc, which it isn't even though to apply through pnp it must be on that provinces list of skilled work in demand which it is, in places such as pei, manitoba etc
i can't find anything official that relates to this six month waiting period for the spouse to gain a work permit, but forgetting pnp for a minute, if you go via the skilled worker route (which it seems you can't do for truck driving)then your wife can automatically apply for an open work permit but go on a tempory wp to take a driving job (ontario) then at no time can she get a wp for any type of work?
so if as a driver you go in on the pnp presumably as a "semi skilled" worker but filling a skilled job in demand in that province does that mean for the wife to work she has to apply off her own back and not go purely as a spouse?
what really confuses me is this six month bit, what happens after six months to alter her standing as regards being able to work?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

CHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant futureCHRISRICHES has a brilliant future

I have copied the NOC matrix, which lists jobs and skill levels.

As I understand it, to go as a skilled worker your job has to be on level A, B, or O. I have heard of Drivers going as skilled workers, but depends on what experience they have and what job they're going to. I.e. look under print workers and commercial drivers.

I think PNP is granted to a company, if the job they are offering is on the above skill levels, or on the list of jobs in demand (I think RJHoffman's job may be under Oil working/Drilling, or related workers - but also other companies may be able to do the same, printers, logging ect....)

All the above is only what I think - NOT 100% so don't take my word for it!!!

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/generic/matrix.pdf

Last edited by CHRISRICHES; Sep 21st 2007 at 8:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.