Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Wasteservices, Sherwood Park?

Wasteservices, Sherwood Park?

Old Oct 14th 2007, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

janandgaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Wasteservices, Sherwood Park?

We're very new to this. My husband had an interview on Wednesday in Northampton for Wasteservices based in Sherwood Park, Alberta. I've read a lot on this site but can't find out much about this company. They were interviewing all last week (up until Friday) and told my husband he will hear early next week if he's successful. The area looks fantastic and a brilliant place to bring up our children but he's not sure about the job. The pay's ok but they couldn't stress enough how hard the work is. Apparently after the first week he'll have trouble even stirring a cup of tea. He's been told he'll have to collect waste by himself from 1000 households a day in temps as low as minus thirty. Does anyone have any first hand experience of this company or know anything about it? We still don't know if he'll be offered a position as I think they prefer the 25-35 age group (due to the fitness levels required) and he's 36 and maybe not in the best shape! Any advice would be very gratefully received
Old Oct 14th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all
Default Re: Wasteservices, Sherwood Park?

Originally Posted by janandgaz
We're very new to this. My husband had an interview on Wednesday in Northampton for Wasteservices based in Sherwood Park, Alberta. I've read a lot on this site but can't find out much about this company. They were interviewing all last week (up until Friday) and told my husband he will hear early next week if he's successful. The area looks fantastic and a brilliant place to bring up our children but he's not sure about the job. The pay's ok but they couldn't stress enough how hard the work is. Apparently after the first week he'll have trouble even stirring a cup of tea. He's been told he'll have to collect waste by himself from 1000 households a day in temps as low as minus thirty. Does anyone have any first hand experience of this company or know anything about it? We still don't know if he'll be offered a position as I think they prefer the 25-35 age group (due to the fitness levels required) and he's 36 and maybe not in the best shape! Any advice would be very gratefully received
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cr...rvices&spell=1

Wasteservices is this rubbish collection?

Word of Notice

If you have interview in UK, just make sure you ask for a business card and it shows their company, and not that of an immigration type people conducting the interview, do not pay for relocation, they want you to work they PAY for you to go.

Just a word of advice
Old Oct 14th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

He's been told he'll have to collect waste by himself from 1000 households a day in temps as low as minus thirty.
Is that all?!!!!!
Tell him he'll have to buck his ideas up sounds like a cusy wee job to me.

Seriously, because the "Binman" job is classed as short haul he would only be offered a 2 year temp work permit with no gaurantee of PR at the end of it,
bound to be bloody dam cold/dangerous work in the middle of winter though!!!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

janandgaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I know! I think he's being a bit of a wimp personally Thanks for the advice about relocation. They are using a company called VRV who deal with it but everything for the driver is paid for, we'd just have to pay for flights and accommodation for the rest of us. We're aware of the 2 year work permit thing but it's just the actual job that's putting him off a bit....can't think why
Old Oct 14th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Raquelle will become famous soon enough

Hi, don't know anything about the company but if you are looking for permanent residency then this probably isn't your best option as you won't be able to apply for the PNP. As you have kids I think you will probably be looking for a permanent move? There are loads of other truck companies hiring that can lead to PR but most of them involve your hubby being away from home a lot of the time.

As for Alberta, it is a great place, absolutely beautiful and great for kids. Only downside really is that the property prices have risen dramatically in the past couple of years making it an unaffordable option for many. Just really depends on your financial status and how much you have to put down as a deposit etc.

Hope this helps

Rachel