Wages for Truckers

Old May 20th 2007, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

silentwispers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wages for Truckers

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Shelly1,
I'm trying to be objective here:
Do you not think that "only" giving it 3 months in Canada before returning to the UK was being fair to the whole "moving to Canada as a truck driver with family" thing?
Is it not right that your husband was still with his "trainer" and never even experienced driving a truck on his own in Canada before returning home?

Without a doubt Westcan are not perfect (what company are?) but to only have given it a go for such a short time, I feel its not really giving Westcan or for that matter "trucking/living in Canada" justice!!!!
Hi three months with a trainer, (that i don't understand ) something went wrong there, and thats probably earning no money or very little no wonder shelly came back broken hearted and broke.

PETE
Old May 20th 2007, 6:47 pm
Webster

The fact is that you will have a better life in Canada IF you come with a substantial amount of money in the bank. If not, you will be living paycheck to pay check. Plus you will never see your husband so wives and children will be making a life on their own in a new country. You must give it 1 year chance to know if you will be able to cope with the lifestyle and the climate.

Old May 20th 2007, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by silentwispers
Hi three months with a trainer, (that i don't understand ) something went wrong there, and thats probably earning no money or very little no wonder shelly came back broken hearted and broke.

PETE
I don't need to defend myself

Iv'e lived the reality weather it be three weeks, three months or three years.
Its no different

Been there bought the T shirt and now its chucked to the back of the wardrobe with the rest of the junk

Don't build your pedastle too high its a long way to fall.

shelly
Old May 20th 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

nobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant future

if you are coming over make sure that the wives/partners have something to occupy themselves as they cant work untill you get your landed status you can apply for this after six months,my missus was at home through the worst snow fall in 50 years from november to the end of april theres not a lot to do and you end up spending,
try to see the $50,000 on your contract as not guarantee of wages, but its for putting on the mortgage forms and for working out your holiday pay
it may be a better life here plenty of space clean air, but i wasnt too unhappy in good ol' blighty, a couple of friends came out here ones already back in the u.k, i wanted to come over to see what it was like for myself i always wanted to drive the big rigs in the u.s, which was nice,
i do find myself constantly paying out for things, school fees for the two little darlings and all the trips and activities, the youngest has taken up trumpet lessons!!!! wow them things can get loud, perscriptions, dental fees even with the health insurance, petrols gone up 10 cents this month already, and house prices in saskatoon are going through the roof so if your coming get a house quick.
Old May 20th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

daz and jac is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all been following the thread. we came out in 25 jan 07 to work for a firm in lloydminster which is on the border of alberta and saskachewen i started work for an oilfield trucking firm and are home every night i do 7days on then 3off then 7on then 4off whilst i was training i was earning good money on average around $4000 o month take home pay but now i have finished training i am lucky to get $3000 a month if theres no work you don`t get paid so you could end up with 5 or 6 days off. if the lease is wet you may get stuck in the mud so they cancel your work. i understand once the break up between winter and spring as finished things should get better and you will be unindated with work. i am working approx 12hrs aday if i am lucky wages are $22.50 an hour then after 9hrs you get overtime at $33.75hr. but we have just been told that the firm i work for as not met the status for permanent residency through the pnp programe so i may have to look elsewhere as we don`t want to return to the uk and i am not that keen on going longhaul but that`s what i may have to do to stay here. we have about another 7 families here from the uk and 2 of them have returned home already one guy stayed 3 day`s then he went home it`s not for everyone but we do find that general shopping for groceries are on a par with the uk car`s are cheaper as is fuel but gas and electric seem to be expensive and telephone as well car insurance in alberta can be expensive to but electrical equipment is alot cheaper than the uk. we like it here and life can be very hard at first as you seem to be spending all the time and as new immigrants you do seem to hit afew brick wall`s but eventually get over that and start to enjoy yourself. it`s not for everyone so do your research first and plenty of it before you come.
Old May 20th 2007, 8:54 pm
Webster

Thursday Announcement Statistics:
*The increase in the cost of living in Saskatchewan last month was second highest in the country!
*Anticipating a 8.4% annual increase
*Canadian dollar is the highest since 1977
*Food cost increased by 8% in past 12 months
*Housing average gone up $60,000 from last year

Old May 20th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by daz and jac
hi all been following the thread. we came out in 25 jan 07 to work for a firm in lloydminster which is on the border of alberta and saskachewen i started work for an oilfield trucking firm and are home every night i do 7days on then 3off then 7on then 4off whilst i was training i was earning good money on average around $4000 o month take home pay but now i have finished training i am lucky to get $3000 a month if theres no work you don`t get paid so you could end up with 5 or 6 days off. if the lease is wet you may get stuck in the mud so they cancel your work. i understand once the break up between winter and spring as finished things should get better and you will be unindated with work. i am working approx 12hrs aday if i am lucky wages are $22.50 an hour then after 9hrs you get overtime at $33.75hr. but we have just been told that the firm i work for as not met the status for permanent residency through the pnp programe so i may have to look elsewhere as we don`t want to return to the uk and i am not that keen on going longhaul but that`s what i may have to do to stay here. we have about another 7 families here from the uk and 2 of them have returned home already one guy stayed 3 day`s then he went home it`s not for everyone but we do find that general shopping for groceries are on a par with the uk car`s are cheaper as is fuel but gas and electric seem to be expensive and telephone as well car insurance in alberta can be expensive to but electrical equipment is alot cheaper than the uk. we like it here and life can be very hard at first as you seem to be spending all the time and as new immigrants you do seem to hit afew brick wall`s but eventually get over that and start to enjoy yourself. it`s not for everyone so do your research first and plenty of it before you come.
Daz+Jac,
Does the firm you work for have a website?
Your 12hr days what are the hours 6am til 6pm?
How did you find this trucking firm through an agent?
I'm actively looking for "short haul" firms preferably "end-dump"/"hopperbottom" etc to apply to via HRSDC/PNP.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hi all,
Wow some Interesting reading these new threads, and can honestly say that its a matter of choice, but like Shelly1 said it is a big gamble if you have an ok life here in the UK, but if its what you really want and you have the experience to boot too then from my point of view i would certainly try before you buy if you can.
Yeah lots of people have done it and lots have come home, and if right not always feeling that they have failed but like so many of the threads on here not just trucking and living in Canada but that they gave it go no matter how long it was.
Some of the drivers here in the UK have only done the domestic stuff and when away on the long haul wives are left to do it all so they have to be strong and not a great word but hard to the stark fact that even the phone call to hubby helps but it is still them that have to deal with it at the end of the day.
The Army life would have helped any who have been there done that and for likes of me who have done eastern Europe and beyond will have course been away for at least a month or less at a time thou this didnt help the ex mrs Loafy thou she knew what i did.
So to rap this up I would say that all advice is good advice be it good or bad, so if it is your route and you then must do what is best for you.
SO THIER.

All The Best LOAFY
Old May 21st 2007, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

daz and jac is an unknown quantity at this point

hi big truck
the website you want is www.rjhoffman.com
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

I just want to wish everyone the best of luck in what ever they decide to do. I am really grateful to all who have had a input to this thread - good or bad.

We are moving to Moose Jaw at the end of Feb next year, Simon starts work for Westcan at the start of March. We have a mortgage in place, bank account open - with a tidy sum in there, school sorted for our eldest daughter and a fantastic realtor keeping in regular contact with us (she is more like a friend now). We will be really lucky as we will have a large sum of cash from the sale of our house, so this will help us out while Simon is training.

Who ever honestly believes that the Army has your back is sadley mistaken, both Simon and myself believe that Army life is just like being a civvie driver. The saying "shit rolls down hill" is not for nothing. Anyway I am not here to debate on the British Army!!!

GOOD LUCK ALL X X X X X
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

lisa81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help Karla.
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

crazy2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodluck Karla and well done
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hey Karla,
Got that stuff thankyou very much, looks interesting some reading to do there.
Anyway well done and best of luck.

LOAFY...
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by loafy
Hey Karla,
Got that stuff thankyou very much, looks interesting some reading to do there.
Anyway well done and best of luck.

LOAFY...
No problems, anything to help. Well the best of luck for your interview next week and I hope Yanke are all you hoped for.

Karla and Simon x x x x
Old May 24th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

chris12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wages for Truckers

Hi all. Just found this site,reading the threads it is very informative and helpful. I have an interview on the 03/06/2007 in birmingham with Yankee "jenny webb", my family and I are feeling very anxcious and would appreciate as much help as possible. We have done as much research as the internet will let us and jenny has been great, we have a 17yr and 16yr old daughters who at the moment are very anti going especially the 16yr as she is scared of starting a new college, of which we have been told for her to do her beauty course is going to cost apprx $5.000 plus equipment ? our other daughter will be qualified nursery nurse before (hopefully) we come over to canada. We have been allocated Regina as our home base if all goes well.We have read all the comments re the wages and basically we were told the earnings would be around $50. to $60.000 per year, docuementation we have been sent states the contract is for a permanent 2years.The truck we be expected to move on average 20hrs per day I have also been told I will be out between 10 and 12 days at a time and will get 7 days off in 23.Any information will be greatfully recieved. Also can any one tell me what do the wives do as they are unable to work for 6 months. many thanks chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.