Telling it How it is.

Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:47 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Default Re: Telling it How it is.

Originally Posted by Gremmie
CIC posted it on their web page as it had been completed in red and green crayon when they specifically say only blue crayon
yea but my blue crayon was blunt and nursey wouldnt let me use the sharpener after the last incident
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

HeadingNorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kb33
So I followed the link and no mention of any GCSE's

Perhaps Roy (Headng North ) can shed some light , He got Nominated last year and Im not sure if he the GCSE's either

[I]Industry-specific criteria – long-haul trucking industry

Definition of long-haul and short-haul truck drivers

Long-haul: Drivers depart for destinations thousands of kilometres away from home. They cross inter-provincial boundaries and travel over international routes across North America. Drivers are away from home for several days per week or weeks at a time. A long-haul driver is one who operates a tractor-trailer combination vehicle and hauls commercial goods over long distances.

Long-haul truck drivers are eligible under the AINP.

Short-Haul: Drivers typically leave home or the terminal in the morning and travel to destinations within a half day’s or one day’s drive; they make numerous stops to pick up and deliver goods over a relatively short distance.

Short-haul truck drivers are not eligible under the AINP.

As an Alberta Employer in the long-haul trucking industry, you must also:

Have satisfactory recruitment strategies and conditions, employment policies and practices, retention and settlement in order to qualify for allocations.
Allocations will also be based on the number of temporary foreign workers approved under a Labour Market Opinion (LMO), size of company and number of long-haul drivers and past performance (retention rates).
A company will not receive an allocation larger than the number of foreign drivers for which the company has received an LMO.
Allocations will be based on 10 to 15 per cent of the number of long-haul drivers employed by the company.
A review of the retention rate of the company with previous allocations will be conducted. Companies with retention rates of less than 50 per cent may not receive a full yearly allocation. These companies will have to demonstrate improved recruitment and hiring practices.
Provide information regarding recruitment activity and supporting documentation that demonstrates that the foreign trained driver is aware of the scope of their employment, which includes duration of long-haul trips taken, mileage, normal amount of days away from home, and anticipated annual salary.
Show the Candidate has received in-Alberta training. If you provide the training, details of the training program must be provided, including training content, hours of training provided in a classroom and supervised road training, testing methodology, and results.
If the training is provided by a third party, a copy of the program syllabus must be provided including hours of classroom and supervised road training, testing methodology and results.
The in-Alberta training and supervision must certify familiarity with traffic laws, documentation requirements (record of loads, vehicle maintenance log books, mileage, etc.) and areas of specialization (hazardous goods, mountains, winter driving conditions, running in major metropolitan areas etc).
Show that Candidates have prior driving training and related experience in a professional capacity.
Show the Candidate is competent in listening, speaking, reading and writing English prior to nomination. You are responsible for testing and establishing a benchmark of English language capability of the Candidate upon arrival and once again prior to nomination to demonstrate progress.
The Employer shall be responsible for paying the cost of these two assessments (the cost of additional assessments above this limit shall be the responsibility of the Candidate).
Employers are responsible to ensure that initial and subsequent testing is performed through the same assessment service or provide an identical method of assessment.
If the Candidate originated from an English speaking country or has completed secondary or post-secondary studies in English, you are not required to provide proof of Candidate competency in the English language.
Should the Candidate not be competent in English, you must provide the Candidate with an in-house English as a Second Language (ESL) program or cover the cost of the ESL training for the Candidate.
The in-house ESL program shall only be taught by certified ESL teachers.
An Employer will schedule the Candidate’s work in order to meet the requirements of a minimum of six hours per week of ESL training.
Participation shall be on employee time, however, the Employer shall supply and pay for teachers, materials and classrooms.
Participation in the ESL program shall begin within sixty days of the arrival of the PN Candidate and continue for the duration of the work permit
To be eligible for nomination the Candidate must submit proof of 85 per cent attendance rate in the ESL training and must demonstrate a progress in learning.
As a Candidate in the long-haul trucking industry, you must also:

Be working for your Alberta Employer as a long-haul truck driver (refer to definitions above)
Show you have an Alberta Class 1 driver's license and are eligible to meet provincial regulations.
Provide a copy of your foreign driver's license which indicates C+E certification (if from Europe).
Both parts of the license must be provided. If the driver's license is not in English, it must be translated by a certified translator.
Be employed in Alberta for a minimum of six months before applying to the AINP.
Have driven in a professional capacity before coming to Canada and provide sufficient credible documentation to demonstrate your previous driving related training (hazardous goods, etc.) and work experience.
You must provide reference letters on company letterhead, dated, and signed with the title or position of the individual from the company who is providing the reference. E-mail letters are acceptable if they are sent from the e-mail account of the company that is providing the references (not hotmail, gmail or yahoo accounts). The letter must state the occupation of the employee, either HGV/LGV driver, and/or describe the work they performed which clearly indicates the equipment that was driven (articulated, semi, reefer, tanker, etc.).
Preference will be given to drivers who can demonstrate a minimum of three out of the last five years’ work experience as a HGV/LGV driver.
Hey Karen, so sorry to hear about you and your families plight and I really hope you win the fight with immigration.

The education requirements did change in January 2011 and one of the guys who worked in our place had the same issues and was refused nomination. He got lucky as his Wife had a job that qualified as a skilled worker and he quit our place when he got an open work permit through her status.

I took a print off into work and the then immigration person told me” yeah I know about that” and threw it in the garbage!

I received nomination November 1st. 2010, 13 months after applying for it in this company, and yes they did check my education history.

Hey Kevin, believe it or not I am edjumicated, and have even been to Tech College and still went on to drive trucks, lol!

I started this thread as people read the older threads and think things are quick and easy to come here-they most definitely are not and things are getting tougher by the month.

I have watched two people in our place alone in the last five months get forced out of Canada, with two weeks’ notice to leave.
The problem is immigration can do as they please here as what are you really going to do about it? After all, you are “just a temporary foreign worker”. Yes they can, and do, move the goalposts frequently and from what I have seen the people they give the toughest tome to is the Brits-ironic really as North America as you know it today was really started off by us! Hell Canada even has the Queen’s head on its coins.

I will be honest with you we all love it here, but, if we were in the UK now I wouldn’t be looking to come here, I would be trying somewhere different. On the CIC newsletter they have admitted that there are severe problems with the immigration system (there’s nearly a million people in the PR process at present) and that Canada can no longer attract the skilled workers it needs as people see the processing times and problems and head off to a different continent, somewhere you can get a decision made a lot quicker and easier. It’s the length of time here waiting for a decision, with all your family’s lives on hold that’s the real problem. Like you, and so many other families, you start a new life here and settle in, only to be told a long time down the line that you have to leave. It tears people’s lives apart and is disgusting in a so called compassionate, caring country.

Once again I wish you well in your endeavors with immigration, please do keep us informed of you progress.

Last edited by HeadingNorth; Sep 7th 2011 at 8:12 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Like you, and so many other families, you start a new life here and settle in, only to be told a long time down the line that you have to leave. It tears people’s lives apart and is disgusting in a so called compassionate, caring country.
Its a known fact that certain requirements have to be met when immigrating to Canada, and that yes they may not all be fair. But any one emigrating should know this from their research that their is a possibility of refusal on TWP, and should have a contingency plan in place. It has nothing to do with Canada not being compassionate, if an applicant doe not want to take the risk of going the TWP route, they can always apply for PR from the UK and then come across risk free.It just takes 3-4 years.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Like you, and so many other families, you start a new life here and settle in, only to be told a long time down the line that you have to leave. It tears people’s lives apart and is disgusting in a so called compassionate, caring country.
Its a known fact that certain requirements have to be met when immigrating to Canada, and that yes they may not all be fair. But any one emigrating should know this from their research that their is a possibility of refusal on TWP, and should have a contingency plan in place. It has nothing to do with Canada not being compassionate, if an applicant doe not want to take the risk of going the TWP route, they can always apply for PR from the UK and then come across risk free.It just takes 3-4 years.
You end up paying a lot of money up front to the Canadian government,not to mention taxes all the time you work here,and they don't even abide by their own posted timelines!!! Other countries manage it,why not here.

Also they were the ones who encouraged us to be here!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
You end up paying a lot of money up front to the Canadian government,not to mention taxes all the time you work here,and they don't even abide by their own posted timelines!!! Other countries manage it,why not here.

Yes all correct, but if the applicant does not meet the required standards, or lies on the application forms it can not be deemed CIC fault. They do not just refuse for the fun of it do they ?? Their is always a reason, we may not agree with it but their is one.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yes all correct, but if the applicant does not meet the required standards, or lies on the application forms it can not be deemed CIC fault. They do not just refuse for the fun of it do they ?? Their is always a reason, we may not agree with it but their is one.
Agreed Gremmie- it's just that they take so damn long to tell you!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Agreed Gremmie- it's just that they take so damn long to tell you!
Again the time lines are readily available on the web site, so not to hard to research before applying. Either way shitty for those that get turned down, but 99% of the time avoidable.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to come to Canada, and people pay taxes in other countries.

The delays in a administration of the system are not really defensable, but if it would make things better for you I have some magic beans I can let you have for only $500...

Does that sound too good to be true? Would you be sceptical and check out the facts before sending me the cheque? Well why would anyone move across the atlantic without doing the same thing?

I came to Canada on a Temporary Work Permit. The word "Temporary" was a big clue for me that it might not be forever unless I met some other criteria...

Immigration is not in business for the convenience of people who want to live in Canada, its there strictly to serve the purposes of the canadian economy, nothing else. Dont kid yourself otherwise.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to come to Canada, and people pay taxes in other countries.

The delays in a administration of the system are not really defensable, but if it would make things better for you I have some magic beans I can let you have for only $500...

Does that sound too good to be true? Would you be sceptical and check out the facts before sending me the cheque? Well why would anyone move across the atlantic without doing the same thing?

I came to Canada on a Temporary Work Permit. The word "Temporary" was a big clue for me that it might not be forever unless I met some other criteria...

Immigration is not in business for the convenience of people who want to live in Canada, its there strictly to serve the purposes of the canadian economy, nothing else. Dont kid yourself otherwise.
What happens when you originally met the requirements,after checking out everything first,then they go change them?

Of course it's to service the requirements of the country you emigrate to-what country would want to attract people who were of no use to it's economic well being?

The thing is with long haul truck drivers(truck drivers of all types actually)Canada does have a chronic shortage right now,ask the local companies here.Where I work we are getting close to being 100 drivers under strength in Edmonton terminal alone.

I can tell you something-without truck drivers the trucks don't move,and if the trucks don't move there are serious ramifications for that that countries economy. I have witnessed the implications of fuel not being delivered to industries and it isn't good.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats what I said but not so puffy and poncey
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when you originally met the requirements,after checking out everything first,then they go change them?

Of course it's to service the requirements of the country you emigrate to-what country would want to attract people who were of no use to it's economic well being?

The thing is with long haul truck drivers(truck drivers of all types actually)Canada does have a chronic shortage right now,ask the local companies here.Where I work we are getting close to being 100 drivers under strength in Edmonton terminal alone.

I can tell you something-without truck drivers the trucks don't move,and if the trucks don't move there are serious ramifications for that that countries economy. I have witnessed the implications of fuel not being delivered to industries and it isn't good.
But there are truck drivers, ones who are already canadian residents. that is what has changed and thats the whole point of making it harder for foreign workers to becoming permanent. Regulations and requirements change to suit the economic times. There is a recession in this country if you hadnt noticed. The canadian government appears to be paying for training programs for the long term unemployed, I know second hand one woman training as a trucker right now. When there was a boom and no one wanted to drive truck they made it easy to get foreign workers (TEMPORARY foreign worker permit, remember). Now times are tough, canadians will do it for the money. I guess for now they are still "in training" and there is a shortfall that TWP holders need to fill, but 5 years from now who knows, time will tell if the government guessed right...

When they do change the regulations they grandfather in the old applications to the old rules, no one applies and then finds the rules changed. If you apply and get rejected for a lack of high school equivalence now, its because that was the requirement at the time you applied and you missed it.

Even then they still give you the opportunity to show you do meet the requirement before they reject you... you can always try to do an equivalence here to meet the requirement.

Is it exploitation? Perhaps, but should it be a surprise? Not to me its not.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 7th 2011 at 10:01 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Fact is hundreds of Truck drivers have made the move and most got their PR in less than two years , I got mine in 14 months and came over AFTER the OP did , So it must be a very bitter pill to swallow when they change or insist on certain criteria half way through the process. Then lengthen the process times while their at it , (Took me 3 weeks for PNP nomination now its taking 13 months ) So putting your life on hold for over four years is unacceptable in my book , they either want you or they don't .

We were all led to believe PR was a forgone conclusion just as long as you ticked all the boxes as an applicant before you got here . And I for one would not make the move now knowing what I know now.

There is still a massive demand for Truck drivers in Alberta and no signs of a recession either and I'm pretty sure these new tactics from CIC will come back to haunt them .

And after all this thread is all about telling others what pitfalls they may come across if they want to live and work in Alberta as a Truck driver . Which can only be a good thing.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

I have watched two people in our place alone in the last five months get forced out of Canada, with two weeks’ notice to leave.
The problem is immigration can do as they please here as what are you really going to do about it? After all, you are “just a temporary foreign worker”. Yes they can, and do, move the goalposts frequently and from what I have seen the people they give the toughest tome to is the Brits-ironic really as North America as you know it today was really started off by us! Hell Canada even has the Queen’s head on its coins.
It seems that whoever repeats this matra.. “just a temporary foreign worker” still does not get through to the guys who STILL bring out their families and get mortgages etc, then cry when they can't make a living as a truck driver or get booted out.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

But there are truck drivers, ones who are already canadian residents. that is what has changed and thats the whole point of making it harder for foreign workers to becoming permanent. Regulations and requirements change to suit the economic times. There is a recession in this country if you hadnt noticed. The canadian government appears to be paying for training programs for the long term unemployed, I know second hand one woman training as a trucker right now. When there was a boom and no one wanted to drive truck they made it easy to get foreign workers (TEMPORARY foreign worker permit, remember). Now times are tough, canadians will do it for the money. I guess for now they are still "in training" and there is a shortfall that TWP holders need to fill, but 5 years from now who knows, time will tell if the government guessed right...

When they do change the regulations they grandfather in the old applications to the old rules, no one applies and then finds the rules changed. If you apply and get rejected for a lack of high school equivalence now, its because that was the requirement at the time you applied and you missed it.

Even then they still give you the opportunity to show you do meet the requirement before they reject you... you can always try to do an equivalence here to meet the requirement.

There will always be a shortage of truck drivers here. You can’t attract youngsters to the job and the baby boomers are due to retire soon, these are facts and are laid out numerous times in the trucking and government press releases.

The response was to hire foreign workers with the promise of PR at the end for those that wanted to apply. Yes, promise is the right word too, as they well know that very few people would want to uproot and move to another continent for a couple of years only to go back at the end of it.PR is the carrot that is waved to get people to come here.

I have Canadian truck driving friends in Ontario and they tell me that they have still have a shortage of drivers there. Out here in the West there is a chronic shortage of truck drivers and many companies use the PR carrot on their websites and when recruiting in other countries.

Ed Stelmach, Alberta Premier made the trip to the UK and was televised selling the “Canadian Dream” to Brits to come to Alberta, so yes that is exploitation.

Collins English Dictionary definition-“Exploitation: to take advantage (of a person, situation, etc) esp. unethically or unjustly for one’s own ends. See ; abuse, manipulation, misuse, trading upon, using.”

Pretty much sums it all up don’t you think?

This threads purpose,as the title suggests,is to tell people how things are right now here.

As a point of interest iaink I guess you wouldn't mind telling us how long in total your PR process was? Usually the people who are saying everything is good with the current process are the ones that went through quickly with no issues?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

If you read the OP post you will see that they applied before the requirements changed-therefore they did not get grandfather rights.In other words the goalposts WERE MOVED.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.