British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/seafood-express-loafy-chris12-488210/)

andy_sheila Oct 29th 2007 3:08 pm

Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

but if there is a company that does similar work to Westcan there and has something like their "complicated" wagescale where at least you are paid something for working in "their" time I would be interested to know about them.:)

http://www.dayross.ca/information.as...nted&langID=EN

http://www.apta.ca/webcura/files/175.pdf

Check out these 2 links BT, i suspect no company is going to let you be out 2/3 nights although there are a couple of NS firms that are regional.

lilacheart Oct 29th 2007 3:09 pm

Hi again BT,

Dont think you stand a chance for these reasons.

1. They are not looking for drivers at the moment.

2. The amount of PM's I have had would lead me to believe there would need to be a queue if they do need to recruit

3. They dont pay by the hour, why should they change it to suit

4. He watches this thread sometimes, what would he think about the way you slate the expats that are here and the lifestyle that we have chosen?

Lorna_D Oct 29th 2007 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5484156)
OK Kerry,
I'll tell you what,
Get Robin Roach to come on this thread and tell me SFE will pay me $15/hour (not an excessive hourly rate) and I will in turn drive 13/hours/day (unless there are delays) for 6 days at a time for SFE.:)
At the very least I am being paid for all "my time" and a gross of $1170 for 6 days work is reasonable.

Do you think that would happen?:confused:
Not a chance because "most" mileage pay is a scam and there's no other way to describe it.:blink:

Big Truck, I know that you have been a member since 2006, I know that you live in NI and that you and your OH run a trucking company but I know nothing else about you or your family situation, the same as you know nothing else about the other posters on this board (unless you know them personally that is).

We all want different things out of life and have different ways of achieving our goals, different braking points and will put up with different things.

Wear your heart on your sleeve and tell us openly what you want out of a move to Canada, ie areas to move to, what would suit your family, when you would like to move to Canada etc and perhaps the other members of this forum can help you gather enough information for you and your family to make an informed decision to reach that goal.

To move to a different country is a big step without alienating possible future friends, I have made some really good friends since I've been here with the other drivers and their wives and have a good support group cos as you know the men are away for anything from 5 to 28 days whatever is their choice to work. I locked my keys in my old van the other night with the spare sitting in the house. Mal and I standing outside Tim Hortons (getting a quick fix before he went to work at 10:00pm) in the freezing cold with no coats on and all his bedding etc in the van. What do we do? Should have joined the CAA you may say, but no we had friends we could ring they were there in 15 minutes with their car keys to see if our old van would open up and it did.

Sorry, rambling once again but the last paragraph was to show that we are all here to help, so maybe you could be less challenging in your comments and more honest and you will get the information you want to make that informed decision and make a good network of friends in the meantime. :thumbsup:

lilacheart Oct 29th 2007 4:02 pm

Have decided to stop the head to head responses, I refuse to carry on justifying what I believe was the right decison for us and our boys.

I have been as frank and honest as possible but where does it get you?. Some people will always challenge and question our lifestyle which is fine but I am drained by it all.

I will continue to help anyone who wants to PM me but other than that I am going to bail out.

Good luck to you all.
Thanks for the support from some of you , you know who you are xx

Lorna_D Oct 29th 2007 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo (Post 5484326)
Have decided to stop the head to head responses, I refuse to carry on justifying what I believe was the right decison for us and our boys.

I have been as frank and honest as possible but where does it get you?. Some people will always challenge and question our lifestyle which is fine but I am drained by it all.

I will continue to help anyone who wants to PM me but other than that I am going to bail out.

Good luck to you all.
Thanks for the support from some of you , you know who you are xx

:ohmy: Don't dissappear, we need a united front :thumbsup:

Big Truck Oct 29th 2007 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila (Post 5484173)
but if there is a company that does similar work to Westcan there and has something like their "complicated" wagescale where at least you are paid something for working in "their" time I would be interested to know about them.:)

http://www.dayross.ca/information.as...nted&langID=EN

http://www.apta.ca/webcura/files/175.pdf

Check out these 2 links BT, i suspect no company is going to let you be out 2/3 nights although there are a couple of NS firms that are regional.

Andy,
I looked at the Day+Ross website last week,looks good but it seems to be just O/O's they are looking for although it does mention driving for them.:thumbup:
I also read you post about the NS PNP its a bit scary the $6.70/hour minimum wage though!!:eek:

Big Truck Oct 29th 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 5484232)
Big Truck, I know that you have been a member since 2006, I know that you live in NI and that you and your OH run a trucking company but I know nothing else about you or your family situation, the same as you know nothing else about the other posters on this board (unless you know them personally that is).

We all want different things out of life and have different ways of achieving our goals, different braking points and will put up with different things.

Wear your heart on your sleeve and tell us openly what you want out of a move to Canada, ie areas to move to, what would suit your family, when you would like to move to Canada etc and perhaps the other members of this forum can help you gather enough information for you and your family to make an informed decision to reach that goal.

To move to a different country is a big step without alienating possible future friends, I have made some really good friends since I've been here with the other drivers and their wives and have a good support group cos as you know the men are away for anything from 5 to 28 days whatever is their choice to work. I locked my keys in my old van the other night with the spare sitting in the house. Mal and I standing outside Tim Hortons (getting a quick fix before he went to work at 10:00pm) in the freezing cold with no coats on and all his bedding etc in the van. What do we do? Should have joined the CAA you may say, but no we had friends we could ring they were there in 15 minutes with their car keys to see if our old van would open up and it did.

Sorry, rambling once again but the last paragraph was to show that we are all here to help, so maybe you could be less challenging in your comments and more honest and you will get the information you want to make that informed decision and make a good network of friends in the meantime. :thumbsup:

Lorna,
thanks very much for your offer,I don't want to alienate anybody at all.
I posted this before in "wages" for Karla03 but here it is for you if you want to know:
http://www.onlinetruckers.co.uk/inde...ewtopic&t=6296

I'm sorry to the guy's who are with SFE,but I just could not see the sense in moving halfway around the world (even though the houses/countryside are fantastic) to work away for 6/8 days and take home a wage of approx $670.:o

Gremmie Oct 29th 2007 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Seafood Express (Post 5483472)
Big Truck as for saying I skirted around your answers I would have to say no ...and for telling someone to COME OUT AND TRYING IT..you actually think i would tell someone to move there family ..sell there house ...move to a new country ....JUST TO TRY IT....well sorry mate but that is a load of BULL... that you seem to have been slinging on this thread....You live in Belfast not Canada....until you come to Canada and drive a truck....best if you keep your opinions about wages to yourself because you have not a clue what you talk about. All these people that are here or on there way to SFE have done so of there own prerogative and for you too try to burst there bubble for trying to make a new life for them and there family..SHAME ON YOU ..yes we do not pay by the hour but by the mile ..we try to be a fair and honest company and yes we make mistakes... but for you to sit on your butt and criticize when you have not idea what you are talking about because you are not here ...SHAME ON YOU....you take the opinion of one driver whom you have no idea of what happened to them or what they did....we are all free to talk and give our own opinion on what we feel this is mine.
I AM
Robin Roach
Human Resources SFE
email [email protected]
phone 902-566-1102

Did this post go by unnoticed by some of you:confused::confused: read the authors name and title,posted today,fresh from the horses mouth:thumbsup:

Gremmie Oct 29th 2007 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 5484151)
Andy_Sheila, thanks for your Karma it is much appreciated

Now if you get me started on that Gremmie then you may be taking it away again

I gave you karma Lorna,,, so please let me live. please no voodoo dolls,or Welsh equiverlent:eek::rofl::rofl:
PS i locked my self out of my car too,at o3,30 hrs ended up smashing the passenger window as the motor was still running and my stuff was inside:(:ohmy: cost me 250$ that little bit of fun:eek:

Seafood Express Oct 29th 2007 5:30 pm

[
I'm sorry to the guy's who are with SFE,but I just could not see the sense in moving halfway around the world (even though the houses/countryside are fantastic) to work away for 6/8 days and take home a wage of approx $670.:o[/QUOTE]

BT...who and what you are is no concern to me....but when you start talking about something you know nothing about then it is my turn.....you know nothing about what goes on at SFE and what everyone in our company is paid..ONE COMMENT FORM PEOPLE WHO ARE LONGER IN CANADA and no longer work for SFE which was there choice ..does not give you the right to criticize everyone else who works there, or try to figure out what they make. You should be more concerned for yourself then all the rest of the people on this thread. Seems to me by the amount of time you spend on this thread that you spend a lot more time home not driving...But wait you make $30 per hour so you don't have to work all day thats right i am sorry i forgot...
When did you get the right to criticize my employer....and by saying that you quoted me as saying to tell people to come out and give it a try....you must be form OZ and related to the tin man cause you certainly don't have a brain,,,,you actually think i would tell someone to ..sell there house....leave all there family behind... pull your kids out of school so they have to make new friends....JUST TO GIVE IT A TRY...tell you what buckwheat...stay in Ireland ......because you have been seeing way to many leprechauns to be allowed in Canada mate...have a Guinness on me...better wait you pay for it ...you make more money than my drivers mate.....
BTW
I AM
Robin Roach
SFE Human Resources
[email protected]

Gremmie Oct 29th 2007 5:34 pm

To BT. as for these to companies, Glenn trans is part of DC chambers,they are both UNION companies, that means you start at the bottom or lower:ohmy:

andy_sheila Oct 29th 2007 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5484472)
Andy,
I looked at the Day+Ross website last week,looks good but it seems to be just O/O's they are looking for although it does mention driving for them.:thumbup:
I also read you post about the NS PNP its a bit scary the $6.70/hour minimum wage though!!:eek:

I agree, it does look scary but it's a minimum, i can't imagine anyone actually paying that.

andy_sheila Oct 29th 2007 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Seafood Express (Post 5483472)
Big Truck as for saying I skirted around your answers I would have to say no ...and for telling someone to COME OUT AND TRYING IT..you actually think i would tell someone to move there family ..sell there house ...move to a new country ....JUST TO TRY IT....well sorry mate but that is a load of BULL... that you seem to have been slinging on this thread....You live in Belfast not Canada....until you come to Canada and drive a truck....best if you keep your opinions about wages to yourself because you have not a clue what you talk about. All these people that are here or on there way to SFE have done so of there own prerogative and for you too try to burst there bubble for trying to make a new life for them and there family..SHAME ON YOU ..yes we do not pay by the hour but by the mile ..we try to be a fair and honest company and yes we make mistakes... but for you to sit on your butt and criticize when you have not idea what you are talking about because you are not here ...SHAME ON YOU....you take the opinion of one driver whom you have no idea of what happened to them or what they did....we are all free to talk and give our own opinion on what we feel this is mine.
I AM
Robin Roach
Human Resources SFE
email [email protected]
phone 902-566-1102

Gizza job :D

Big Truck Oct 29th 2007 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 5484565)
Did this post go by unnoticed by some of you:confused::confused: read the authors name and title,posted today,fresh from the horses mouth:thumbsup:

Where did that post come from?
I can't find it?

Robin,
as I said it was late at night when I took your call but you WHERE somewhat vague on wages and I standby what I posted.
It tells a very interesting story when all you done in your post was berate the hell out of me but NOT answer a single question of mine regarding SFE and their wages/extra's!!!!!!!!!!:o

Now once and for all is the $674 take home for 8 days work TRUE or FALSE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RodRos&Co. Oct 29th 2007 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5484646)
Where did that post come from?
I can't find it?

Page 15 of this thread