British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/seafood-express-loafy-chris12-488210/)

andy_sheila Oct 29th 2007 12:33 pm

Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by marcustandy (Post 5483193)
:huh: So the following was wasted . . . .

What followed negated and wasted the title

So now there's a rank structure on this discussion forum, is there?? One has to have a certain amount of posts before asking certain questions?? Mmmm, seemed to miss that one in the site rules . . . . . . . .

No rank structure but you might want to gain a little experience and find out how the forum works before shouting your mouth off

I made no demands at any time. I stated what information I was hoping to find within this thread, both good and bad. Some of that information has since been forthcoming with the later posts (thank you Loafy).

You made no formal demands but the whole tone of your post was demanding (i want, i want)

:lol: Catch 22 there - how will I know if I don't like it until I've read it?? :lol:
There have been over 200 replies, surely you know if you like whats been said or not? of course you do, you "asked" us to change because you didn't like it

Likewise with the answers to questions here, however, it seems (further up this thread) that when Big Truck asked an 'uncomfortable' question, there was more effort put into berating him that answering the question itself.
That question had been answered before, more than once (comes down to the 19 posts again, researching the threads and experience) I berate BT because he ask's/points out the same old, same old..............

As it transpires, a combination of some of the recent answers and Big Truck's latest posting have gone a long way to assisting with some of the important decisions that we as a family have to make. Mission accomplished. Thanks to you all.

Good for you but you could have obtained the answers easier if you had asked in the right way

:eek:

BTW Gremmie, the {YouTube} link was quality!! :thumbup:

And finally Andy, I also come from Leeds - is this thread anything to with (or maybe because of) you?? :rofl:

Escape from Leeds!

I haven't read that thread as i hardly go into the other sections any more because they have become the same old questions repeated over and over. so no, it has nothing to do with me. fwiw i was born and raised in Devon, i lived in Leeds for the last 12 yrs before moving here. I didn't escape from Leeds, i left for financial and family reasons. I love Leeds, it's the best city in England and although like any city, it has it's bad areas, i felt no need to "escape"

Good luck to you, whatever you do

Andy

loafy Oct 29th 2007 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5482323)
A spy eh?
if only life could be that glamorous!!!!!:thumbsup:

Loafy,Loafy,Loafy,
Really glad to hear your happy at your job,
but what am I do you with you?:confused:
Give it time mate, the druggies and hookers will arrive especially if you park on the "back row"!!!!:rofl:

Now back to SFE,
So it really is true,you aren 't paid for any extra's at all apart from maybe a layover or two?
Sorry but I don't give my time for free to no man or beast.:thumbdown:
Your $916 gross earnings for 5 and a half days work,approx how manys hours/day did you work for that and approx how much did you end up with after deductions?

A few figures for you:
Drive for SFE@33c/mile @ 3000miles/weekx52 weeks =$47520
Drive for H+R@42c/mile @ 3000milesx52 weeks =$60480 PLUS EXTRA'S!!!!!!!!!
Rent@PEI $750 m
Rent@Lethbridge $1200 month (that much?:unsure:)x12 =$14400

Now how am I working it that you would be AT LEAST $7560 better off with H+R and we still haven't counted in the total yearly extra's with H+R?

No before the "BC hero" asks I'm certainly NOT a spy for H+R!!!!!!!!!:rofl::p;)

Hey Big Truck,
Ah bless ya, you dont have to do anything with me im used to truck stops with whores and Russian mafia and all the shit that comes with it, yeah i have parked at the back of the stop still no nice ladies knocking on my door thou (Boo Hooo LOL).:eek:
To answer your question to the how many hours did i work its all relative to how hard you want to work. You and I know that if you want to play the game you can, Move the goal posts you might say, most have done it from time to time unless you drive a supermarket trolley or for some short haul Co were your time is set out for you.
I didnt bend the rules to suit who ever and if i did it would be for as long as i could and then if for some reason i couldnt make the deadline i would park her up and tell the dispatcher whos job it is to sort it out from here on, I guess they wouldnt be to pleased but im not putting myself in a ditch for a load of fresh produce and never will.
Seafood dont pay for pick ups and deliveries and said so from the start and they are looking into paying for layovers but i would think this would not change much. Other things about the job are a draw back but then they have their plus side too. Goes with every job i have ever done .

Yes i pay that much rent here for my house and land that came with it, it was exactly what me and Clair my wife were looking for as we always wanted a small holding in the UK. While im trucking i will rent at least 6 to 8 acres out to farm as this land is certified organic and have a small income from this too to buy the tools for the jobs i would need to do for this venture at a later date.
Yeah you pay high rent in AB for which you get a house and a garden which is prob what he wants and no more, so he is happy with that and living there fine to on those wages so their really is no comparison to be had as its all to do with what you want and what you can get for your dollar i guess.

Its up to the individual for where he or she goes and what you want and so far i see a period were things will be a struggle but then when its all on an even keel things should be good or thats what i hope for, some things you have no control of so its go with the flow and see what happens and make the most of it.

All the Best to ya,

LOAFY...:thumbsup:

lilacheart Oct 29th 2007 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5482323)
A spy eh?
if only life could be that glamorous!!!!!:thumbsup:

Loafy,Loafy,Loafy,
Really glad to hear your happy at your job,
but what am I do you with you?:confused:
Give it time mate, the druggies and hookers will arrive especially if you park on the "back row"!!!!:rofl:

Now back to SFE,
So it really is true,you aren 't paid for any extra's at all apart from maybe a layover or two?
Sorry but I don't give my time for free to no man or beast.:thumbdown:
Your $916 gross earnings for 5 and a half days work,approx how manys hours/day did you work for that and approx how much did you end up with after deductions?

A few figures for you:
Drive for SFE@33c/mile @ 3000miles/weekx52 weeks =$47520
Drive for H+R@42c/mile @ 3000milesx52 weeks =$60480 PLUS EXTRA'S!!!!!!!!!
Rent@PEI $750 monthx12= $9000
Rent@Lethbridge $1200 month (that much?:unsure:)x12 =$14400

Now how am I working it that you would be AT LEAST $7560 better off with H+R and we still haven't counted in the total yearly extra's with H+R?:confused:!!!!!!!!!!!

No before the "BC hero" asks I'm certainly NOT a spy for H+R!!!!!!!!!:rofl::p;)

Hi Big truck,

I am trying very hard not to sound like a bitch but why are you still in the UK and not working for H+R?

Big Truck Oct 29th 2007 1:48 pm

All the best to you too Loafy.:thumbup:

Can I just ask a question about PEI itself,
The fact that Davie-mac informed me in another post that Charlottetown was about the same size as Lisburn here in NI makes me think its going to be VERY quiet come the depth of Winter.
Now I'm no party animal and I'm really a country boy at heart but do you people think there is much going on in the Dec/Jan/Feb months?
I also have no doubt that you get some amount of "bang for your buck" buying a house wise and the countryside looks beautiful,but is there many other opportunites jobwise on PEI if you get you PR and want to give up the long haul driving?
I take it short haul driving jobs are very limited but is there much available in say the farming/construction sector, are the wages average enough or even worse than the OTR trucking?

andy_sheila Oct 29th 2007 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo (Post 5483773)
Hi Big truck,

I am trying very hard not to sound like a bitch but why are you still in the UK and not working for H+R?

The official tourist brochure for Nova Scotia is called "Dreamers and Do'ers" sums it up nicely i think.

Big Truck Oct 29th 2007 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo (Post 5483773)
Hi Big truck,

Very easy answer to that,
12-16 days away from homebase is not a job for me even if it paid $1/mile and thats the God's honest truth.:cool:

deannos Oct 29th 2007 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5483869)
12-16 days away from homebase is not a job for me even if it paid $1/mile and thats the God's honest truth.:cool:

This is the reason i would like to work for SFE,gives you more time with the family and to enjoy what you have.It's been said before it's a trade off,quality of life and all that:thumbsup:

Loafy mate i've sent you a PM

Deanno

lilacheart Oct 29th 2007 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5483869)

So what do you want? is it out there?

loafy Oct 29th 2007 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 5483851)
All the best to you too Loafy.:thumbup:

Can I just ask a question about PEI itself,
The fact that Davie-mac informed me in another post that Charlottetown was about the same size as Lisburn here in NI makes me think its going to be VERY quiet come the depth of Winter.
Now I'm no party animal and I'm really a country boy at heart but do you people think there is much going on in the Dec/Jan/Feb months?
I also have no doubt that you get some amount of "bang for your buck" buying a house wise and the countryside looks beautiful,but is there many other opportunites jobwise on PEI if you get you PR and want to give up the long haul driving?
I take it short haul driving jobs are very limited but is there much available in say the farming/construction sector, are the wages average enough or even worse than the OTR trucking?

Yeah Charlottetown is small but i think their is plenty to do, depends on what you want to do, It's mostly winter stuff, ice skating and the like but things dont shut down here like they do in Summerside or towards the more tourist areas.
Not sure about the short haul stuff but their are plenty of small trucks running around the island. Loads of jobs here in the construction industry and farming but i think that could be harder to get into as it is a bit of a closed book if you get my gist. Have no idea about how much they pay for these jobs so cant help you much their sorry.

LOAFY...:thumbsup:

CurtNIR Oct 29th 2007 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo (Post 5483900)

Like he said before, he wants more time at home with the family, and most of the companies in the maritime provinces dont hit the road for as long as the western companies do. They usually stick around the eastern corner. They go for more like 5 - 6+days.

lilacheart Oct 29th 2007 2:42 pm

But, they dont earn as much

Big Truck Oct 29th 2007 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo (Post 5483900)

Very easy to answer that as well:
www.dctchambers.com
www.glentransport.com
Both pay a very good hourly rate with decent equipment and no nights out.
But both are in BC with the mega house prices and no PNP for truckers and they are both unlikely to be able to get LMO's.:(
However,
I don't want to scare anybody in the Maritimes especially Nova Scotia,(sorry Andy:D)
but if there is a company that does similar work to Westcan there and has something like their "complicated" wagescale where at least you are paid something for working in "their" time I would be interested to know about them.:)
This is because as "KB33" has posted in "Wages", Westcan seem to be a bit more flexable in the "long haul" part of the PNP as it seems if you get into the right terminal it may be that you have to complete minimum nights away although I wouldn't really mind say 2/3 nights out/week.:thumbup:

lilacheart Oct 29th 2007 2:57 pm

but if there is a company that does similar work to Westcan there and has something like their "complicated" wagescale where at least you are paid something for working in "their" time I would be interested to know about them.:)
This is because as "KB33" has posted in "Wages", Westcan seem to be a bit more flexable in the "long haul" part of the PNP as it seems if you get into the right terminal it may be that you have to complete minimum nights away although I wouldn't really mind say 2/3 nights out/week.:thumbup:[/quote]

This is what I meant about compromise, if this company existed it would be flooded with expats, including us

Lorna_D Oct 29th 2007 3:00 pm

Andy_Sheila, thanks for your Karma it is much appreciated :D:thumbsup:

Now if you get me started on that Gremmie then you may be taking it away again :frown::p:rofl:

Big Truck Oct 29th 2007 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo (Post 5484089)
But, they dont earn as much

OK Kerry,
I'll tell you what,
Get Robin Roach to come on this thread and tell me SFE will pay me $15/hour (not an excessive hourly rate) and I will in turn drive 13/hours/day (unless there are delays) for 6 days at a time for SFE.:)
At the very least I am being paid for all "my time" and a gross of $1170 for 6 days work is reasonable.

Do you think that would happen?:confused:
Not a chance because "most" mileage pay is a scam and there's no other way to describe it.:blink: