Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

AYR Motor UK Drivers not up to the job

AYR Motor UK Drivers not up to the job

Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AYR Motor UK Drivers not up to the job

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Please enlighten on a few points.Firstly,the comment on only intending to be in Canada for a week,what's that all about ? Secondly,if you intended to work for Ayr out of Woodstock why were you in Saskatchewan ?
Did I miss something ?
I had an interview with H&R and at the same time had to update my licence along with a police check.
Also at the same time the offer of work along with a contract come from AYR.
So i had already been in contact with AYR,they had all my details to move quickly

my licence was previously from Saskatchewan
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I just hope any Canada hopefuls read this section and take note, as it has also been my experience that the " Brits " are harder to please than other nationalities

I do agree with you Gremmie we do have high expectations,But dont forget the reasons why they want immigrant drivers.
the Brits have high standards and Moving and living in Canada does no mean you should reject what you left behind,also there are Canadians in Britain.

and being pedantic and belligerent is not an excuse to categorise one section of the British Canadian community or the X British Colonies.{Its not relevant}

In truth it is a pathetic excuse, like a child in a play ground.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hughes3005
I do agree with you Gremmie we do have high expectations,But dont forget the reasons why they want immigrant drivers.
the Brits have high standards and Moving and living in Canada does no mean you should reject what you left behind,also there are Canadians in Britain.

and being pedantic and belligerent is not an excuse to categorise one section of the British Canadian community or the X British Colonies.{Its not relevant}

So what are the reasons ????
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

So what are the reasons ????
Ask a Canadian Employer why.i dont want to digress.

But this forum is about information for the person or family that want to live in Canada.maybe my experience was a one off or maybe its common practice.

But its not acceptable behaviour.
a good working life is a Good start to a new life in a new country.And not all truck drivers have had a bad experiences.
Not all Brits will like it some will love it.

If you have a good employer and you like to Drive its a fantastic Job.

What i am trying to say is if you have a Contract you should Keep to the Contract.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Ask a Canadian Employer why.i dont want to digress.

But this forum is about information for the person or family that want to live in Canada.maybe my experience was a one off or maybe its common practice.

But its not acceptable behaviour.
a good working life is a Good start to a new life in a new country.And not all truck drivers have had a bad experiences.
Not all Brits will like it some will love it.

If you have a good employer and you like to Drive its a fantastic Job.

What i am trying to say is if you have a Contract you should Keep to the Contract.
As far as i can see you didnt have a contract,nor a WP and as far as the reasones go, well you brought it up so clarify them as they may be important for others
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

the Brits have high standards
and Moving and living in Canada does no mean you should reject what you left behind,also there are Canadians in Britain.

Pray explain the reasons so as to inform others,, Please re write that to say " THINK they have high standards " as to my experience a high majority rate them selves highly only to useless waists of time, Who want only to do the bare minimum of work, and moan and bitch about every thing.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I just hope any Canada hopefuls read this section and take note, as it has also been my experience that the " Brits " are harder to please than other nationalities
Perhaps you should employ a certain Irish pair Make the moaning Brits look quite reasonable
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Pray explain the reasons so as to inform others,, Please re write that to say " THINK they have high standards " as to my experience a high majority rate them selves highly only to useless waists of time, Who want only to do the bare minimum of work, and moan and bitch about every thing.
I have had some very good driving jobs in Britain and yes drivers moan and so do the Canadian drivers.

We all take our standard of living for granted.super markets are full of cheap food.you can buy the latest gadget.mobile phone. luxury toys for the kids.

as for the Canadian driver if he can earn the same money doing day work why should they work away for up to 2 weeks at a time.

and for the drivers moving to Canada be prepared for long trips.thats what you sign up for.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Not all of us, Gremmie. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but it wasn't easy over there either. We just accepted that things would be different then made it up as we went along. That, I think, is the only way to do it.

I also had some great driving jobs in the UK. I was even one of Tescos finest when they were still good. But my last boss was, and still is, a complete asshole and workaholic...

If you came here for two interviews then you should have been ready to fly back anyway. Arriving for interviews guarantees you will be waiting for an LMO.

Ayrs practice of paying 14cpm is ridiculous. Nobody can deny that. But if they were keeping you waiting around for 5 days at a time, and they are doing that to others, then how can they still be running? No firm can survive wuth that much waiting around. Same can be said of H&R. If it is totally routine for them to park trucks and drivers for days out of every week then the business isn't safe at all.

I think, by emailing them, you may well have shot yourself in the foot. You only send emails like that when you have no wish to return. My letter of notice to BFS was a bit like that but my reasons for sending it were slightly different and I would never have returned there anyway. I am one of only four drivers that have not been approached to return there. I am almost proud of that statistic..
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

I have had some very good driving jobs in Britain and yes drivers moan and so do the Canadian drivers.

We all take our standard of living for granted.super markets are full of cheap food.you can buy the latest gadget.mobile phone. luxury toys for the kids.

as for the Canadian driver if he can earn the same money doing day work why should they work away for up to 2 weeks at a time.

and for the drivers moving to Canada be prepared for long trips.thats what you sign up for.
Hoorah fanfare correct. If you sign up to be a longhaul truck driver it'll be just like it says on the tin.