Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

AYR Motor UK Drivers not up to the job

AYR Motor UK Drivers not up to the job

Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AYR Motor UK Drivers not up to the job

This was my email to AYR Motor,i have remove names

To Joe & Ralph
my time with AYR Motors inc has been a time for reflection and hope of being a long haul truck driver has been short lived.
from my arrival in Canada on the 23rd of may to obtain my updated class 1 licence and abstract along with a police record.
having obtained all your requirements to gain employment i was invited down to AYR Motors to start work,what was going to be a new start in Canada.[ i informed Ralph of my limited finances, Ralph said no problem ]
it was arranged for me to be picked up by your truck at Regina SK,i was then taken to Winnipeg MB where for a short period i stayed a the comfort inn Winnipeg before being picked up by another driver.
it was arranged for us Both to drive Team to AYR Motor Woodstock for what i was paid for[ this was my first working experience with AYR motor].
on my arrival i was taken by Taxi to AYR House where i was allocated a bed with all the other drivers that stay there from various other countries.
i was told to ring the next morning so i could be introduced to the company policy and short induction where we signed contracts for me to gain a work permit [ i was under the impression this would have been in place as i had sent all relevant documents prior to leaving UK] Ralph was under the impression it would not take long for me to get my LMO.
I asked Ralp for a daily salary he said no but would do what he could for me to have money[ i was given a T_check on my advance salary from the drive down from Winnipeg MB ]
this paid for my food and bedding.
i was then given further work a drive, running team to Toronto ON and back to Woodstock NB
for which i was paid for.
It had taken 3 weeks for me to gain my work permit,during this time i was asked to ring on a regular daily basis for updates.
on obtaining my work permit and green card for border crossings to the US i had to make regular phone calls to either James or Brian every 2 hours this become a regular scenario for five days none stop.
i was then given a team run with a new driver we started at 12,30 but did nt leave until 18,30 for Toronto ON.
we arrived in Torrent to do City work for which i was paid my miles not hourly paid.
our return load back to Woodstock on day 3 at 3AM in the morning i was told to leave the vehicle and return home because their was no work for us.
at 10,30 i had a phone call to be back in another truck,leaving for Moody Alabama US then back to Torrent where we carried on doing City work.
on the second week we had a trip to Winnipeg returning to Toronto then back to Woodstock NB.[ i can not under stand why City work and long haul work as to be mixed?. only to make it more profitable for AYR Motor at the expense of the Driver's].
I then had to have time off, ready for my next team run.[ in this time my wife Sharon booked a return flight back to the uk as we had only planned for me to have 1 week in Canada from the very start ]company procedure for time off is 2 weeks notice if i had been given further work i would have had time to meet these requirements.
instead i had to ring the company every 2 hours all day every day for a further 5 days this would have given me still 10 days to run team.
on the fifth day i was given a team run to Calgary Alberta, but because i informed the company of my temporary return the refuse to give me any more work and was told to stand by the phone and wait.
My experience with AYR Motors Inc as been one of feeling trapped and held by the phone constantly for more than five weeks with out pay,No money.it as been very costly for me and my family and has cost nothing for AYR Motors.
Has a professional truck driver i feel demoralised and dehumanised in all my endeavours to Work.
how much more can one take before making a decision to stay or leave when AYR Motors have not kept to there contract.
So how do i go on from here with out Money because this situation is out of my control through NO fault of my own...regards long haul driver
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: AYR Motor UK Drivers not up to the job

This is the response with out names

Good morning Mr.

Sorry for inviting to work In Canada! Firstly, I did not realize when we first spoke by telephone when you were in Saskatchewan obtaining your new Driver’s License that you were only planning to be in Canada for a week. Had I known that at the time, I would have just wished you well and had you return to the UK as we did not have an official employment agreement. We did the best we could to get you to Woodstock at little or no cost to you. Yes, there were delays in getting your Labour Market Opinion (LMO) but again we as an employer are at the mercy of the federal government in particular Service Canada, HRSDC and CIC to obtain a positive LMO to support the issuance of a Work Permit. After you had your Work Permit in hand, our Driver Planning Department tried to get you through your training to the point where we were going to assign you to a team in order to get you more frequent scheduled work. Unfortunately, by this time you had planned to return to the UK to visit your family. During your stay at AYR you were not charged for your accommodation, we paid your transportation costs locally and you were paid a higher rate than other drivers for the work you completed.

The trucking industry in North America is very different than the UK or Europe. To be successful you must embrace the ways of North America. When in Rome do as the Romans. The weather, the geography, the work ethic and protocols are very different. You have to be willing to put aside your past history of trucking elsewhere in the world and become engaged in how the job is done in Canada and the United States. In North America there are good job opportunities and we know our business. To be successful you must be prepared and willing to adapt. We are not the colonies anymore and frankly unlike citizens from elsewhere in the world citizens of the UK do have some difficulty fitting in and becoming successful but many do along with their families.

This is your second work tour to Canada and you should have had enough experience to be successful if you were adaptable, flexible and focused on the opportunity available to you.

We wish you the best in your future endeavors, Thank you.
Regards,
Ralph
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

it was arranged for us Both to drive Team to AYR Motor Woodstock for what i was paid for[ this was my first working experience with AYR motor].
on my arrival i was taken by Taxi to AYR House where i was allocated a bed with all the other drivers that stay there from various other countries.
i was told to ring the next morning so i could be introduced to the company policy and short induction where we signed contracts for me to gain a work permit [ i was under the impression this would have been in place as i had sent all relevant documents prior to leaving UK] Ralph was under the impression it would not take long for me to get my LMO.
I asked Ralp for a daily salary he said no but would do what he could for me to have money[ i was given a T_check on my advance salary from the drive down from Winnipeg MB ]
this paid for my food and bedding.
i was then given further work a drive, running team to Toronto ON and back to Woodstock NB
for which i was paid for.
It had taken 3 weeks for me to gain my work permit,during this time i was asked to ring on a regular daily basis for updates.

Therefore he was working illegaly with no work permit and getting paid for it? Am I reading this correctly?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Therefore he was working illegaly with no work permit and getting paid for it? Am I reading this correctly?
yes it is "acceptable "when working in North America.this is Normal in this kind of geography
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hughes3005
yes it is "acceptable "when working in North America.this is Normal in this kind of geography

A sarcastic "Acceptable" I presume...

Doubt Service Canada would look on it that way though I take it the company were more than aware of the situation then?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

A sarcastic "Acceptable" I presume...

Doubt Service Canada would look on it that way though I take it the company were more than aware of the situation then?
yes sarcastic .when i pass on the details to CIC this will end in me not being allowed back.
But dont think i was the only one? dont be silly...when you need cheep labour send them out..
trainee drivers double man with out a full licence or work permit.
Like AYR say, its the North American way
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Well thats it. i have just been in contact with my Foreign Worker Officer.
What a bit of a shit to have come so far and we are as expendable as a bag of groceries
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well thats it. i have just been in contact with my Foreign Worker Officer.
What a bit of a shit to have come so far and we are as expendable as a bag of groceries
Where are you currently located?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Where are you currently located?
i am back in the UK.
I am just explaining everything to CIC Saint John NB.
it as taken weeks to get a response from AYR Motors and the Games dont stop.
They keep saying ring tomorrow and then Thursday
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning Mr.

Sorry for inviting to work In Canada! Firstly, I did not realize when we first spoke by telephone when you were in Saskatchewan obtaining your new Driver’s License that you were only planning to be in Canada for a week. Had I known that at the time, I would have just wished you well and had you return to the UK as we did not have an official employment agreement. We did the best we could to get you to Woodstock at little or no cost to you. Yes, there were delays in getting your Labour Market Opinion (LMO) but again we as an employer are at the mercy of the federal government in particular Service Canada, HRSDC and CIC to obtain a positive LMO to support the issuance of a Work Permit. After you had your Work Permit in hand, our Driver Planning Department tried to get you through your training to the point where we were going to assign you to a team in order to get you more frequent scheduled work. Unfortunately, by this time you had planned to return to the UK to visit your family. During your stay at AYR you were not charged for your accommodation, we paid your transportation costs locally and you were paid a higher rate than other drivers for the work you completed.

The trucking industry in North America is very different than the UK or Europe. To be successful you must embrace the ways of North America. When in Rome do as the Romans. The weather, the geography, the work ethic and protocols are very different. You have to be willing to put aside your past history of trucking elsewhere in the world and become engaged in how the job is done in Canada and the United States. In North America there are good job opportunities and we know our business. To be successful you must be prepared and willing to adapt. We are not the colonies anymore and frankly unlike citizens from elsewhere in the world citizens of the UK do have some difficulty fitting in and becoming successful but many do along with their families.

This is your second work tour to Canada and you should have had enough experience to be successful if you were adaptable, flexible and focused on the opportunity available to you.

Regards,
Ralph
Please enlighten on a few points.Firstly,the comment on only intending to be in Canada for a week,what's that all about ? Secondly,if you intended to work for Ayr out of Woodstock why were you in Saskatchewan ?
Did I miss something ?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:45 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, there were delays in getting your Labour Market Opinion (LMO) but again we as an employer are at the mercy of the federal government in particular Service Canada, HRSDC and CIC to obtain a positive LMO to support the issuance of a Work Permit. After you had your Work Permit in hand, our Driver Planning Department tried to get you through your training to the point where we were going to assign you to a team in order to get you more frequent scheduled work. Unfortunately, by this time you had planned to return to the UK to visit your family.
Ralph
no i read it differently - this part says "after you had your work permit in hand"
he woudnt have recieved that without an lmo surely, so he did have lmo and twp!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:58 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

This was my email to AYR Motor,i have remove names

first of all you say this;

from my arrival in Canada on the 23rd of may to obtain my updated class 1 licence and abstract along with a police record.
having obtained all your requirements to gain employment i was invited down to AYR Motors to start work,

then you say this;

i was told to ring the next morning so i could be introduced to the company policy and short induction where we signed contracts for me to gain a work permit [ i was under the impression this would have been in place as i had sent all relevant documents prior to leaving UK]
but you said above you picked them up in canada??

but you were only due to be in canada one week .. see below???

in this time my wife Sharon booked a return flight back to the uk as we had only planned for me to have 1 week in Canada from the very start ]

So how do i go on from here with out Money because this situation is out of my control through NO fault of my own...regards long haul driver
i dont understand any of this - one minute you say you picked up licence, abstract etc in canada, then that you'd sent them from the uk,
why would you start a job with any company in another country without the contract (presumably read and signed by yourself!!), lmo and twp in hand????

my oh is due to start work in the next few weeks, we have had the contract which is reasonable, we are now waiting for the lmo, we'd never dream of just hopping over there without any of these documents!
just out of curiosity were you there on a recce???
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning Mr.

Regards,
Ralph
I just hope any Canada hopefuls read this section and take note, as it has also been my experience that the " Brits " are harder to please than other nationalities
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Gremmie,not happy with your last post !!!!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Gremmie,not happy with your last post !!!!
Yup the truth often hurts... it doesn't please me to write such things, but thats my experience. Please dont mis under stand I dont condone Ayr's actions at all, but Hughes looks like he was also at fault. I was just pointing out about the Brits in general.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.