yanks and pies

Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yanks and pies

Pies aren't really purely an Australian thing as evidenced by the OP posting here. Australia is a Commonwealth country after all.

I used to have steak & kidney pie or chicken & mushroom pie for breakfast. And then lunch. And often dinner too.

Actually thinking about it savoury pies are more common in Canada as well. For example: Simple Simon Pies

Like I said earlier back in the thread, I think it's kind of a regional thing in the US, depends on where the immigrants came from.

Send me your address and I'll send you some Fray Bentos pies.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 2:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
So you haven't been to Australia or know much about the place, yet you pretend to know how things differ there. Figures.
This is a thread about pies, it says so right there in the thread title, on a forum primarily for British people (which I note you are not ), so WTF does Australia and what Australians do with pies, in the context of this thread, have to do with anything? Let me answer that for you: "nothing".
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:43 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
WTF does Australia and what Australians do with pies, in the context of this thread, have to do with anything? Let me answer that for you: "nothing".
Er, did you read the OP?

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Ello my septic pals, hope all is well. There was a program on here in Oz last night which covered an audience opening up a pie shop in the states. He was saying you lot hadn't heard of pies and had to be educated in the art of eating them without cutlery. Is this actually true or are my aussie
countrymen bullshitting
and trying to make out we're a totally unique race???

Mmmmm pies
All that eye rolling doesn't do wonders for your reading skills.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Er, did you read the OP? ....
Yes, it was from a British citizen asking about the availability of pies in the US. At most any mention by the OP of pies in Australia was confined to setting up the context of the question, and has no bearing on the, er, meat of the question, which was about the availability and consumption of pies in the US. Presumably the OP already knows what Australians do with their pies as he lives in Australia, and wouldn't have come and posted in the US forum asking about it.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:54 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

It would behoove you to drop the shovel and stop digging.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:57 pm

It would behoove you to drop the shovel and stop digging.
A shovel is the most appropriate tool for dealing with most of your posts!
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:02 pm
Bloody Yank

I suggested that you drop the shovel. Instead, you've opted to hit yourself in the head with it.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

The pot pie is the closest thing that the US has to an Aussie-style pie, but they aren't that similar. It's more of a meal item eaten while sober than a snack eaten while drunk.
I wouldn't say they are considered a drunk snack in Oz, on par with say a kebab in the UK (we have kebabs for that!). Their main role is as a lunch staple, for everyone from school kids to tradesmen. They are meal of choice at a football match; as in, I remember eating them there when I was 4.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Pies are a meal, or most of one, accompanied by vegetables and perhaps potatoes in some form. They are not generally thought of as food to eat while drunk, though a good beer would be a good drink to accompany a pie-based meal.
A pie is eaten out of a paper bag, accompanied by tomato sauce and a sausage roll
Old Dec 24th 2014, 5:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a pattern with Australians of appropriating culture. Pies seems to be one case, the word mate I mentioned earlier. I also remember a chat I had in Korea, it was a text written in British English slang. The Aussies were all excited that it was written in "Australian" pointing out this and that phrase and word, all of which were used in Britain, at one or two words, they glossed over "not sure what that is" they said over the common Brit words that apparently had not made it to Australia. They do remind me sometimes of the Indian father in Goodness Gracious Me, claiming everything and anything as Australian.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

A fight about pies?
Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by GeoffM; Dec 24th 2014 at 7:07 pm. Reason: CBA
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:49 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I suggested that you drop the shovel. Instead, you've opted to hit yourself in the head with it.
As I said, pies are not a uniquely Australian thing, an "Australian" pie isn't really any different from any number of British pies. Unless they stick vegemite or kangaroo in it.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 5:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I have seen a pattern with Australians of appropriating culture.
What's the difference between Australia and yoghurt?

If you leave yoghurt alone for long enough it develops a culture.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
What's the difference between Australia and yoghurt?

If you leave yoghurt alone for long enough it develops a culture.
Arf arf the old ones are the best. Pie mash and liquor tonight. Nice
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:14 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A fight about pies?
I've been threatened over peas on this very website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.