WTF in America

Old Oct 24th 2014, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
OK, that was a bad example but consider SCO19, the Met's armed response unit - those are armed British policemen, albeit specially trained ones. Letting a beat cop carry a sidearm is just a more direct version of that. I really don't think there is a danger of trigger-happy policemen in the UK but if it acts as any kind of a deterrent for an armed criminal getting his weapon out in public, it isn't a bad thing.

It should only be done if the level of violent crime in a given police district warrants it though, independent of buzz words like terrorism or immigrants. I'm with you on that part.

Plenty of other European police forces are armed. German police are required to carry while off duty. They seem to handle it OK, though. I think it does a disservice to the British police to suggest that they couldn't.
If the police are getting specific threats we need to look at that. If it's Hot Fuzz getting twitchy when they see a beardy bloke, no.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can remember my first trip abroad and seeing an armed French Policeman.

Which did feel very odd.

Having lived in London through the troubles there were armed Police everywhere.

Times change, sometime for the better, sometimes not.

As this is an ongoing situation that I can not see heading anywhere other than downhill then get used to it.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If the police are getting specific threats we need to look at that. If it's Hot Fuzz getting twitchy when they see a beardy bloke, no.
That's what I mean. If violent crime in a district is at a level where the beat cops and the public are at a raised rick of running into armed criminals, then the playing field should be leveled. I have no problem with ordinary coppers carrying a pistol in the same way as German or Australian officers might. Training is key, of course.

I am certainly not advocating a militarised police force. Protection within reason is what I am on about.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

As an ex beardy and occasional stubbler what is wrong with that?
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I mean. If violent crime in a district is at a level where the beat cops and the public are at a raised rick of running into armed criminals, then the playing field should be leveled. I have no problem with ordinary coppers carrying a pistol in the same way as German or Australian officers might. Training is key, of course.

I am certainly not advocating a militarised police force. Protection within reason is what I am on about.
As we said, that's a general policing issue. Using 'terrorist threat' has to be quantified.

Not sure if that's the right word but it looks good.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

As we said, that's a general policing issue. Using 'terrorist threat' has to be quantified.

Not sure if that's the right word but it looks good.
I don't know why they even have to connect it with terrorism. It should be concerned with crime, no matter the source. I guess I'm off topic with respect to the article in question.

If a terrorist threat were to be received, armed response units would be dispatched to handle it. I am actually thinking more about allowing the policeman on the beat to carry a gun for his own protection. If the level of crime in the UK at this time doesn't warrant that, then fair enough, leave it alone.

Quantified looks OK to me, too.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Led by the liberal "lets all be happy, we can leave the immigrants to remain unintegrated in their own community" thinking that has been the dominant political thinking of both the main political parties in the UK, and pretty much all western democracies. We have, indeed, allowed these cancers to develop right under our noses.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know why they even have to connect it with terrorism. It should be concerned with crime, no matter the source. I guess I'm off topic with respect to the article in question.

If a terrorist threat were to be received, armed response units would be dispatched to handle it. I am actually thinking more about allowing the policeman on the beat to carry a gun for his own protection. If the level of crime in the UK at this time doesn't warrant that, then fair enough, leave it alone.

Quantified looks OK to me, too.

Kind of links with our other conversation. The 'freedom-loving' right-wingers strangely seem quite happy to put us under an authoritarian regime on the flimsiest of pretexts.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

One of the issues, here and in the UK...is that there is rarely a frank and honest discussion on the pros and cons of immigration.

Some people benefit from the current policies.
Some people are harmed.

To admit this and to have a balanced view is seen as a weakness in one's position.

That gets my goat...
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hotscot
One of the issues, here and in the UK...is that there is rarely a frank and honest discussion on the pros and cons of immigration.

Some people benefit from the current policies.
Some people are harmed.

To admit this and to have a balanced view is seen as a weakness in one's position.

That gets my goat...
Immigration is not a singular thing though. There are different needs that a country has, eg skills and/manual labour, and then obligations like spouses and historical links with former colonies. With the EU, you're getting a package with trade, free movement and so on. So you'd have to break it down.

Of course everyone thinks their sort of immigrant is the most valued
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:47 pm
I have a comma problem

Kind of links with our other conversation. The 'freedom-loving' right-wingers strangely seem quite happy to put us under an authoritarian regime on the flimsiest of pretexts.
They're all statists at heart ...

This is one of those situations that won't really apply in the case of the UK though because they just don't have the same kind of gun crime as the US does. It's easier for four or five unarmed policemen to take down a guy with a knife than it would be to deal with gun-toting crims. Completely different situations.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They're all statists at heart ...

This is one of those situations that won't really apply in the case of the UK though because they just don't have the same kind of gun crime as the US does. It's easier for four or five unarmed policemen to take down a guy with a knife than it would be to deal with gun-toting crims. Completely different situations.
Agreed. I was looking up the local crime stats here and the weapons column was like

Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:57 pm
I have a comma problem

Agreed. I was looking up the local crime stats here and the weapons column was like

You might see it slightly higher in London, because of the larger population but in general, yeah it's bugger all.

Actually, I'm interested in lansbury's input here, as an ex-policeman, as to whether the job would be made safer/more effective or however best to put it, by arming the local constabulary.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You might see it slightly higher in London, because of the larger population but in general, yeah it's bugger all.
Oh of course, but it was very heartening to see that.

PS has everyone else left the building?

Last edited by Sally Redux; Oct 24th 2014 at 6:01 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

You get the impression knife crime is rife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.