WTF in America

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Boiler
Grandfather of Teen Killed in Oklahoma Burglary Says Homeowner's AR15 Made for 'Unfair' Fight

Grandfather of Teen Killed in Oklahoma Burglary Says Homeowner's AR15 Made for 'Unfair' Fight

He has a point.
Three intruders, one with a knife and the other with dusters, it doesn't really matter whether they were taken out with an automatic rifle or a pump action shotgun. If you intend to commit a crime tooled up (or otherwise on private property) I have zero sympathy if the intended victim gets the upper hand using whatever means are available to them.

My machete would probably still have resulted in mopping the tiles but at least I wouldn't have forty holes in the drywall to patch up.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was amused that he thought the fight should be 'fair'.

AR15 is semi auto and .223 so not an obvious choice.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I was amused that he thought the fight should be 'fair'.

AR15 is semi auto and .223 so not an obvious choice.
Yeah, generally not considered a gun for home defense.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Yeah, generally not considered a gun for home defense. ....
I thought you were living in America now?
Grandfather of Teen Killed in Oklahoma Burglary Says Homeowner's AR15 Made for unfair fight.

Grandfather of Teen Killed in Oklahoma Burglary Says Homeowner's AR15 Made for 'Unfair' Fight. ....
Aren't all matches tilted in favour of the home side?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 3rd 2017 at 3:58 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought you were living in America now?

Aren't all matches tilted in favour of the home side?
Unless you are as cool as a cucumber under pressure then last thing you want is a bullet from a rifle shooting off through an interior wall into who knows where. Meanwhile the jerk in the home has now pulled out his/her firearm.

If I was wanting to shoot a bullet then I'd rather use a handgun where at least it's lighter, easier to maneuver and probably a bit less powerful.

Shooting some buck shot on the other hand is unlikely to go through an interior wall and still the spread is fine enough to probably protect life.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are as cool as a cucumber under pressure then last thing you want is a bullet from a rifle shooting off through an interior wall into who knows where. Meanwhile the jerk in the home has now pulled out his/her firearm.
If I was wanting to shoot a bullet then I'd rather use a handgun where at least it's lighter, easier to maneuver and probably a bit less powerful.
Shooting some buck shot on the other hand is unlikely to go through an interior wall and still the spread is fine enough to probably protect life.
Buckshot can go through several interior walls, (unless they're made of heavy planks or steel), and still kill, but it isn't as likely to go through them and the exterior and go buzzing down the street for a few blocks. Instead of 1 projectile though, there are 9 and they're all getting further off-target with each foot travelled. I've always maintained that the best weapon for home defence is the one you are most familiar with and most proficient at shooting, and if that is a pistol, shotgun, or AR-15 then that's the one you want. Bullet type and velocity have everything to do with how walls slow them down, but any centerfire rifle or pistol, and even a .22 with a little bad luck can go through the wall of your house and take out the neighbour across the street. I wanted to buy a .223 40 years ago but the calibre is too small to be legal for deer where I am, so that was the deciding factor.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 3rd 2017 at 9:21 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Was he sitting back deciding on his choice of weapons? I would assume he chose what was nearest to him,
If facing a home invasion I would choose a shot gun for close order work.
If I didn't have a weapon I would run like hell.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caretaker
Buckshot can go through several interior walls, (unless they're made of heavy planks or steel), and still kill, but it isn't as likely to go through them and the exterior and go buzzing down the street for a few blocks. Instead of 1 projectile though, there are 9 and they're all getting further off-target with each foot travelled. I've always maintained that the best weapon for home defence is the one you are most familiar with and most proficient at shooting, and if that is a pistol, shotgun, or AR-15 then that's the one you want. Bullet type and velocity have everything to do with how walls slow them down, but any centerfire rifle or pistol, and even a .22 with a little bad luck can go through the wall of your house and take out the neighbour across the street. I wanted to buy a .223 40 years ago but the calibre is too small to be legal for deer where I am, so that was the deciding factor.
I get the argument of using the firearm you're most proficient with. However, that's all dependent on the use case. I'd be most proficient hunting a deer with a long barrel rifle, but it would be a pain to sweep rooms in a house with, shoulder and then fire.

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Was he sitting back deciding on his choice of weapons? I would assume he chose what was nearest to him,
If facing a home invasion I would choose a shot gun for close order work.
If I didn't have a weapon I would run like hell.
I doubt it and after all I think the home owner was safe which is the main thing. I'm with you on what I think id do in the situation.

I think it is wise to keep a firearm suitable for home defense near where you'd like be should a home invasion occur. For most this will likely be the bedroom.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You must have been reading my history of posts on home defence weapons, because I have been advocating a shotgun as the optimal home defence weapon for as long as I have been posting on BE, more or less for the reason you mention - the risk of penetration of interior walls. That said, I would not recommend buckshot for the reason Caretaker mentioned - buckshot will also penetrate interior walls and is the same size as a 9mm bullet and you wouldn't want to be firing a diverging cluster of nine 9mm bullets around indoors!

Anyhow, the post of mine that you quoted was really about what is "generally considered" to be a good home defence weapon by Americans - IOW arguably most Americans (who seem to favour a large caliber pistol) really don't understand the risks of using the wrong sort of weapon in their home.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Sawn off and a ready supply of spare sheetrock in the garage.

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Sawn off and a ready supply of spare sheetrock in the garage. ....
When we eventually get around to building a home to our own specs, the hallways are going to have a layer of plywood behind the sheetrock, which will absorb a lot of the energy if they ever needed to.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Today I learned I'm a Nazi
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Today I learned I'm a Nazi
Seems most people are.

Anyway I favour a 9mm carbine, what I do not get is how he killed all 3 of them with a .223? Illegal to hunt most things in Colorado, too small for anything much bigger than a rabbit to be reasonably certain of a kill. Multiple hits?
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Seems most people are.
On this blessed day, we're all Nazis.

Anyway I favour a 9mm carbine, what I do not get is how he killed all 3 of them with a .223? Illegal to hunt most things in Colorado, too small for anything much bigger than a rabbit to be reasonably certain of a kill. Multiple hits?
OK ...
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I keep my guns under lock and key at all times, but have a little Louisville Slugger Official Aluminum T-Ball Bat in the bedroom. 20oz, 26" and already has a slight bend in it. Anyome who doesn't think the AR-15 is an effective home defence weapon is entitled to their opinion, but I'd hate to be shot with one, and I've heard they are very good sellers. It's one of those proven killing tools that doesn't have to be advertised, everyone knows from the news.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 3rd 2017 at 2:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.