WTF in America

Old Feb 4th 2017, 6:36 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by morpeth
I don't know about the Army, and I didn't serve in the military, but I did run a company where we gave a very strong preference to hiring Marines, and last two years I have occasion to speak to recent Marine recruits. Judging from those conversations there were different reasons they volunteered- some from desire to see action, some because economically they didn't see a better path, but most seemed to want a more firm path for a few years to their life. Locally most of the boys did physical training once a week and also heard lectures on life in the Marines for 3 to 12 months before going to boot camp. After boot camp ( which is longer in the Marines than the Navy,Air Force or Navy) exactly as you say many wanted to put their training into action, and developed a belief they were there to support their fellow Marines should they need to be involved in an action.

Some may regret things later on surely as you say. And I don't know if the average Army soldier has the same attitude.
But what's all that got to do with fighting a modern war? The Marines are great guys but this isn't WW2 and Iwo Jima and Marines only account for part of a land force in any invasion force.

You say that the Iraqi army collapsed pretty quickly. Maybe the same might happen to the Iranian military assuming that Russia doesn't get involved on Iran's side but it's what happens afterwards that matters.

The US forces couldn't prevent thousands of it's troops being killed or losing limbs through IEDs or other covert warfare. What makes you think the Iranians wouldn't adopt the same tactics? Iran is a mountainous country with lots of desert, much the same as Iraq and Afghanistan. Very difficult terrain for any military force to operate in.

George Bush wasn't a draft dodger but he dodged Vietnam by getting his daddy to pull a few strings to get him into the Texas Air National Guard, a unit that was never deployed to Vietnam. Trump on the other hand did dodge the draft. Funny how these people are always gung ho to go to war at the drop of a hat.

If Trump goes to war against Iran he'll go it alone. The NATO countries aren't stupid enough to get into that scenario
Trump couldn't even count on Israel to support him militarily. They would never send any of the IDF to Iran. They'd just be happy to let Trump be the fall guy

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 4th 2017 at 6:41 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The Iranians have also just bout either s-300s or s-400s from the Russians. That would make air strikes a bit more difficult.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
We can give personal anecdotes all day. I know of many Democrats who have served in the military. There are a couple of them serving in the US congress --- as we speak.

I have commented on BE numerous times over the years about my friend(s) who are politically active Democrats. He is a career Army office with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. She is/has worked in Texas politics. During the GW Bush administration they were not allowed to drive her car, which had pro Democratic bumper stickers, onto the base.

Just because I've talked to some military people who don't support Trump, I don't go so far as to say, "The troops won't miss Trump." (1) because it's an unfounded, unprovable statement and (2) it's unnecessarily inflammatory and (3) I'd look like I was just making up "stuff" out of whole cloth.

You said, "I don't think Obama will be missed by the troops."

We all watched the same election. There were plenty of military folks who came out against Trump. But Trump won this election and quite possibly even won a majority of the military vote. There's no need to exaggerate that record ... his victory speaks for itself. Gloating and dishonesty does not cover you in glory.
A few thoughts:

Since a large majority of the US military is either (a) working class white males or (b) blacks, their leanings in the 2016 election aren't hard to guess. Then again, so many are in the 'young people' demographic that votes at low rates. I was in the Army in Korea in 2004 during the election- our platoon sergeant asked us how many had sent in absentee ballots- only two of twenty raised our hands.

In my initial Army training I don't recall anyone ever mentioning the apolitical imperative. I know it's different for officers for whom criticizing high officials is a crime.

Since political differences are so highly correlated with racial differences, and racial strife is one of the most corrosive factors in terms of unit readiness, it behooves any commander to shut down political arguments 'with extreme prejudice.'
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
A few thoughts:

Since a large majority of the US military is either (a) working class white males or (b) blacks, their leanings in the 2016 election aren't hard to guess. Then again, so many are in the 'young people' demographic that votes at low rates. I was in the Army in Korea in 2004 during the election- our platoon sergeant asked us how many had sent in absentee ballots- only two of twenty raised our hands.

In my initial Army training I don't recall anyone ever mentioning the apolitical imperative. I know it's different for officers for whom criticizing high officials is a crime.

Since political differences are so highly correlated with racial differences, and racial strife is one of the most corrosive factors in terms of unit readiness, it behooves any commander to shut down political arguments 'with extreme prejudice.'
That all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight. Young people are often not interested in politics, even when political policies affect them directly.

I also think that the word intersectionality, though overused, really applies here. The "troops" are not a monolith and cannot be pigeonholed. Neither can officers.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I also think that the word intersectionality, though overused, .
I have never heard it before. That's not a real word. Is it? That's a bizarre corporate US mumbo jumbo word. Don't use it again. x
Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I have never heard it before. That's not a real word. Is it? That's a bizarre corporate US mumbo jumbo word. Don't use it again. x
It's not corporate US mumbo jumbo. It's socio political US mumbo jumbo. I love it and I'm going to find a way to use it every day. I wish I was pregnant so I could name my baby Intersectionality.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 12:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not corporate US mumbo jumbo. It's socio political US mumbo jumbo. I love it and I'm going to find a way to use it every day. I wish I was pregnant so I could name my baby Intersectionality.
Insect for short.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 1:12 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd seen black bears from a distance several times and got the impression they were about the size of a big dog. Then two or three years ago our neighbour got permission to shoot one as it was ravaging his corn and rampaging around in people's yards. I was amazed when he showed me the carcass, it was huge, about three hundred pounds I think.
Oh yeah, they are big. But if you have to run into a bear, you'll want it to be a black bear. Apparently, they are the easier ones to scare off as long as you aren't between them and their cubs/food source. Brown bears will just **** you up for fun, though.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Where does the coyote work, Acme?
7/11 actually. Unmployment has hit coyotes pretty hard around here.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

We can give personal anecdotes all day. I know of many Democrats who have served in the military. There are a couple of them serving in the US congress --- as we speak.

I have commented on BE numerous times over the years about my friend(s) who are politically active Democrats. He is a career Army office with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. She is/has worked in Texas politics. During the GW Bush administration they were not allowed to drive her car, which had pro Democratic bumper stickers, onto the base.

Just because I've talked to some military people who don't support Trump, I don't go so far as to say, "The troops won't miss Trump." (1) because it's an unfounded, unprovable statement and (2) it's unnecessarily inflammatory and (3) I'd look like I was just making up "stuff" out of whole cloth.

We all watched the same election. There were plenty of military folks who came out against Trump. But Trump won this election and quite possibly even won a majority of the military vote. There's no need to exaggerate that record ... his victory speaks for itself. Gloating and dishonesty does not cover you in glory.
+1

The modus operandi of that poster is to make sweeping generalizations without any evidence or attributions to back up his claims.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 3:06 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Intersectionality Leslie-Boiler has a ring to it. Future POTUS perhaps.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

There was nothing dishonest said. I gave an opinion. If you took that as "gloating" or the opinion offended you, then that was not the intent. As I didn't vote for Trump there is no reason for me to gloat. As you quoted me , I said " I don't think". As far as personal anecdotes, as the one you mentioned, I find they can be helpful in addition to the news. I guess I though so obvious there would be different opinions amongst the troops, that I wasn't meaning all the troops would feel that way- so I accept I should have qualified that statement by saying "most" or other such word.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
But what's all that got to do with fighting a modern war? The Marines are great guys but this isn't WW2 and Iwo Jima and Marines only account for part of a land force in any invasion force.

You say that the Iraqi army collapsed pretty quickly. Maybe the same might happen to the Iranian military assuming that Russia doesn't get involved on Iran's side but it's what happens afterwards that matters.

The US forces couldn't prevent thousands of it's troops being killed or losing limbs through IEDs or other covert warfare. What makes you think the Iranians wouldn't adopt the same tactics? Iran is a mountainous country with lots of desert, much the same as Iraq and Afghanistan. Very difficult terrain for any military force to operate in.

George Bush wasn't a draft dodger but he dodged Vietnam by getting his daddy to pull a few strings to get him into the Texas Air National Guard, a unit that was never deployed to Vietnam. Trump on the other hand did dodge the draft. Funny how these people are always gung ho to go to war at the drop of a hat.

If Trump goes to war against Iran he'll go it alone. The NATO countries aren't stupid enough to get into that scenario
Trump couldn't even count on Israel to support him militarily. They would never send any of the IDF to Iran. They'd just be happy to let Trump be the fall guy
I never have understood how any draft dodger could end up being commander in chief.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 3:46 pm
WTF?

There was nothing dishonest said. I gave an opinion. If you took that as "gloating" or the opinion offended you, then that was not the intent. As I didn't vote for Trump there is no reason for me to gloat. As you quoted me , I said " I don't think". As far as personal anecdotes, as the one you mentioned, I find they can be helpful in addition to the news. I guess I though so obvious there would be different opinions amongst the troops, that I wasn't meaning all the troops would feel that way- so I accept I should have qualified that statement by saying "most" or other such word.
I understand that this is your opinion but you base your opinion on a false narrative.

It's not about my personally being offended, I've stopped being offended ... now I'm just annoyed. Annoyed by the meme that somehow the whole military was anti-Obama and couldn't wait to see the back of him. This is a right-wing talking point based on the few vocal soldiers/officers who have expressed negative sentiments about the Obama doctrine. My opinion is that, much like many sectors of the US, as time goes by, the military will miss Obama more and more. Sometimes, trying to not get them killed is a nice way to "support the troops".

I'm also done with the right-wing co opting the entirety of the military as if there were only white working class males serving. Approximately 30% of the enlisted personnel are categorized as being of minority status. This does not include Hispanics, who make up another 10%. Immigrants make up around 8-10%.

On the other hand, the representation of officers is overwhelmingly white and male. Upwards of 70%.

The saying is, "Support Our Troops" not "Support the Generals Who are Constantly Trying to Take Our Troops into War".
Old Feb 5th 2017, 4:18 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I never have understood how any draft dodger could end up being commander in chief.
Dick Cheney was also a draft dodger.

On the other side of the coin President Eisenhower who had commanded forces in Europe during WW2 and seen thousands of young men go off to their deaths during and after D-Day knew all about war and the emerging influence of the military industrial complex in later years troubled him.

Some wars like WW2 against brutal tyrants such as Hitler were justified and in a noble cause so one cannot say that all wars are evil it's just that some wars like Iraq were worthless, were the root cause of ISIS and destabilized the middle east considerably

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 5th 2017 at 4:23 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I understand that this is your opinion but you base your opinion on a false narrative.

It's not about my personally being offended, I've stopped being offended ... now I'm just annoyed. Annoyed by the meme that somehow the whole military was anti-Obama and couldn't wait to see the back of him. This is a right-wing talking point based on the few vocal soldiers/officers who have expressed negative sentiments about the Obama doctrine. My opinion is that, much like many sectors of the US, as time goes by, the military will miss Obama more and more. Sometimes, trying to not get them killed is a nice way to "support the troops".

I'm also done with the right-wing co opting the entirety of the military as if there were only white working class males serving. Approximately 30% of the enlisted personnel are categorized as being of minority status. This does not include Hispanics, who make up another 10%. Immigrants make up around 8-10%.

On the other hand, the representation of officers is overwhelmingly white and male. Upwards of 70%.

The saying is, "Support Our Troops" not "Support the Generals Who are Constantly Trying to Take Our Troops into War".
I agree with much you have just written. The idea that it is just white working class males among the enlisted men gives a false impression. Among the groups I got to know while most were white males, the percentage of minorities was higher than the percentage of the local population accounted for by minorities. I didn't know it before , but immigrants not yet citizens could enlist as well, and while most received their citizenship on graduation from boot camp, some did not.

Yes I expressed my opinion based primarily on that group of recruits, and also veterans I have spoken to. By no means a scientific opinion based on extensive polling data. Many of recent veterans I spoke to complained bitterly about the rules of engagement they were required to follow.

Haven't spoken much to veteran or serving officers, I would be curious their views compared to enlisted men on these issues.

And I agree, seems those who are vocal we hear about the media may not be at all representative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.