British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

SultanOfSwing Sep 21st 2015 4:55 pm

Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11754310)
Free cake.

Often not a nice cake, though, if it's that godawful kind with raisins in it.

Let's face it, weddings are boring. Going to someone else's wedding is rather pointless and a few pints is the only way you can really make it through the event long enough to reach an inconspicuously civil ****ing off time.

Lord PercyPercy Sep 21st 2015 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11754320)

I wish more weddings would have fruit cake instead of vanilla sponge or carrot cake. Carrot doesn't belong in cake, that's just basic science.

BubbleChog Sep 21st 2015 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11754320)

Let's face it, weddings are boring. Going to someone else's wedding is rather pointless and a few pints is the only way you can really make it through the event long enough to reach an inconspicuously civil ****ing off time.

I don't think I've been to a wedding with a fruitcake in 20 years. All my friends hated it so had proper nice cake

There is also a special section in Hell for people who put raisins in Carrot cake

:sick:

Nutek Sep 21st 2015 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy (Post 11754327)
I wish more weddings would have fruit cake instead of vanilla sponge or carrot cake. Carrot doesn't belong in cake, that's just basic science.

:nod: Damn vegetarians, forcing their agenda on us normal, cake-eating folk.

zargof Sep 21st 2015 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11754329)
:nod: Damn vegetarians, forcing their agenda on us normal, cake-eating folk.

You prefer your cake with bacon then?

SultanOfSwing Sep 21st 2015 5:08 pm

The type of cake is largely irrelevant. Weddings are still shit. It's just a massive look at me festival for the bloody bride anyway. Forcing other people who aren't blood relatives to sit through it is bad enough, but to make them do it without access to a nice pint is bordering on torture.

Nutek Sep 21st 2015 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 11754331)
You prefer your cake with bacon then?

Bacon cake HAS to be better than effin carrots. Stands to reason.

Nutek Sep 21st 2015 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11754334)
Weddings are still shit.

This much is true.

zargof Sep 21st 2015 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11754334)
The type of cake is largely irrelevant. Weddings are still shit. It's just a massive look at me festival for the bloody bride anyway. Forcing other people who aren't blood relatives to sit through it is bad enough, but to make them do it without access to a nice pint is bordering on torture.

That's obvious. I mean who would go to a wedding without the promise of free food and drink? No-one that's who. Hell if it wasn't for the free food and drink, I'm not sure I'd have gone to my own wedding.

zargof Sep 21st 2015 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11754335)

It seems that bacon cake is actually a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon_cake

Lord PercyPercy Sep 21st 2015 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 11754339)
That's obvious. I mean who would go to a wedding without the promise of free food and drink? No-one that's who.

Too true, it was only after the wife had accepted that I spotted the "dry wedding" bit at the bottom, I knew then that I'd be sat at a table of strangers in silence just waiting to go home.

SultanOfSwing Sep 21st 2015 5:13 pm

That's obvious. I mean who would go to a wedding without the promise of free food and drink? No-one that's who.

I'd have had second thoughts about showing up to my own if there wasn't going to be a big feed afterwards, to be honest.

Though, we only invited close relatives anyway - it was the plus side of my wife having a large and dispersed family and mine all being 3,500 miles away :D

Jerseygirl Sep 21st 2015 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11754335)

:hysterical:

You kill me!

Pulaski Sep 21st 2015 5:37 pm

That's obvious. I mean who would go to a wedding without the promise of free food and drink? No-one that's who. Hell if it wasn't for the free food and drink, I'm not sure I'd have gone to my own wedding.

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy (Post 11754345)
Too true, it was only after the wife had accepted that I spotted the "dry wedding" bit at the bottom, I knew then that I'd be sat at a table of strangers in silence just waiting to go home.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11754347)
I'd have had second thoughts about showing up to my own if there wasn't going to be a big feed afterwards, to be honest.

Though, we only invited close relatives anyway - it was the plus side of my wife having a large and dispersed family and mine all being 3,500 miles away. .....

A standard wedding reception round here is ham biscuits, fruit punch, and fluffy tasteless cake hidden under a blanket of sickly-sweet soft icing. When Mrs P's cousin got married we were lucky that shortly after the ceremony a nasty squall blew in, which all-but blew away the gazebo over the buffet, and the rain "ruined" most of the food. We used that as a smoke screen to bü99er off and go get steaks and beer. :lol:

A good friend of Mrs P's got married a few years back, and they had a huge pig-roast BBQ, with barrels of ice packed with bottled beer (which hardly anyone touched :rolleyes:). Dress was casual by order! And they hired a covers rock band that were somewhere between Bad Co and 38 Special. Coolest wedding I've ever been to.

BubbleChog Sep 21st 2015 6:40 pm

Bacon cakes are fully a thing Maple Bacon Cupcakes - Will Cook For Smiles

and taste much better than the bacon chocolate sea salt ice lolly i was subjected to at a recent hog roast