British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

mikelincs Sep 22nd 2015 11:13 pm

Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11755454)
Getting upset over someone so sad they pretend they were in the army.
Stolen Valor - I had no idea this was a thing. I advocate it for everyone, not to steal any valor but equate us all. I want my none military service acknowledge by strangers too. I'm off to buy a uniform.
#BBCTrending: Online activists try to ID Army fakes - BBC News

Not really news though, that was trending in November 2014..:sneaky:

Nutek Sep 22nd 2015 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11755792)
Relevant law for your morning reading....

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or

(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction

Criminal Code.

Oh I don't doubt you. I just don't give a shit and cant really comprehend why anyone would.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 22nd 2015 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11755800)
Oh I don't doubt you. I just don't give a shit and cant really comprehend why anyone would.

Most really wouldn't but the guy caught went onto national TV on Remembrance Day pretending to be a soldier and that created an uproar from veterans and military folks, so charges were laid.

Otherwise I doubt the police would have even cared if he had not gone on TV.

WJS Sep 23rd 2015 4:29 am

Along the same lines in the London area. :)

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/derelict-s...7.html#ZLIps81

Nutek Sep 23rd 2015 5:24 am

Originally Posted by WJS (Post 11756029)
Along the same lines in the London area. :)

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/derelict-s...7.html#ZLIps81

Arfurs lockup!

sir_eccles Sep 29th 2015 5:51 am

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail?After NASA Announces It Found Water On Mars, Rush Limbaugh Says It's Part Of A Climate Change Conspiracy | Video | Media Matters for America Limbaugh says NASA's announcement is part of the climate change conspiracy?

SultanOfSwing Sep 29th 2015 5:56 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11760876)
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail?After NASA Announces It Found Water On Mars, Rush Limbaugh Says It's Part Of A Climate Change Conspiracy | Video | Media Matters for America Limbaugh says NASA's announcement is part of the climate change conspiracy?

If ignorance is bliss, this guy must be the happiest man alive :blink:

Pulaski Sep 30th 2015 2:19 am

I am sure that Sir_Eccles is comforted to know than the the Bolt Force is looking out for him. :rofl:

Anian Oct 6th 2015 8:35 am

US news report: School administration bands American Pride day because it might offend people.
Reality: Students vote what to celebrate, with Pajama Day and Lumberjack Day coming top. The third place voted option, American Pride day is thought not to be too exclusive anyway by the student council (20% of the school are not American). Five students show up wearing US flag clothing (disrespectful to the flag) and make a big deal about celebrating American Pride day all over social media to make everyone else look unpatriotic. Rabid conservatives bite, school admin repeats conclusion of student council, condemned as liberal plot.

SultanOfSwing Oct 6th 2015 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11766338)
US news report: School administration bands American Pride day because it might offend people.
Reality: Students vote what to celebrate, with Pajama Day and Lumberjack Day coming top. The third place voted option, American Pride day is thought not to be too exclusive anyway by the student council (20% of the school are not American). Five students show up wearing US flag clothing (disrespectful to the flag) and make a big deal about celebrating American Pride day all over social media to make everyone else look unpatriotic. Rabid conservatives bite, school admin repeats conclusion of student council, condemned as liberal plot.

At least nobody was shot this time.

Oh, 'Murica, you big, mental problem child, when will you grow up?

lansbury Oct 6th 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11766338)

It was until I read the rest of your post I realized it wasn't a LGTB event. Being in Portland the word Pride triggers a whole new meaning. :rolleyes:

moneypenny20 Oct 6th 2015 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11766365)
It was until I read the rest of your post I realized it wasn't a LGTB event. Being in Portland the word Pride triggers a whole new meaning. :rolleyes:

I think it is in most places tbh.:unsure:

Beaverstate Oct 6th 2015 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11766365)

Wasn't the womens semi-pro football team 12 or so years ago called the 'Portland Pride' ? They showed up at a McMenamins I used to frequent after a home game, the name sort of fit Good thing they weren't sponsored by Nike, imagine the spin off name;)

Anian Oct 7th 2015 1:55 am

It's weird how words get politicised into meaning something else. I was told not to use the word "agenda" because it suggests an underhand evil plan, rather than just a list of things to discuss in a meeting.

Pulaski Oct 7th 2015 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11766831)
It's weird how words get politicised into meaning something else. I was told not to use the word "agenda" because it suggests an underhand evil plan, rather than just a list of things to discuss in a meeting.

Same with "scheme", in the US it seems to be loaded with negative connotations. :unsure: