British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 7th 2015 12:17 pm

Re: WTF in America

Lead?

Pulaski Sep 7th 2015 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11742854)
Lead?

Maybe. :unsure: Definitely cold steel.

WEBlue Sep 7th 2015 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11742787)
She puffs her fur up along her back, and stands completely still, she doesn't bark, seems to not really know what to do.

I pick her up when I spot one, and the bear is usually far enough away to not care and we walk the opposite direction backwards keeping an eye on the bear.

The bears seem so used to people they just don't care, but I have only come across a female with cubs once, and I was in a car so she left right away, would rather not run into a female with cubs on foot, they generally are the one's that cause issues and more aggressive because of the cubs.

We don't let her off leash so she is always on leash. We also have bob cats and coyotes common and both have been known to attack and/or take a dog who was off leash, and at 9 pounds our dog stand little chance of winning a fight.

In another part of the province last year, a small wolf pack snatched a dog off the beach that was off leash with the owner nearby, so not worth risking with a small dog.

Good for your dog that she's cautious when seeing a bear! A neighbor had her little terrier (maybe 6 pounds?) slip out the back door and tear into the woods after a fox, barking its fool head off. My neighbor was terrified and ran after it, and was finally able to lure it into grabbing range with dog biscuits.

But people with the electric dog fences round their gardens are afraid to let the dogs roam within the fence, because the foxes are so close by, and wander freely wherever they wish. We're supposed to have coyotes too, been spotted in the next village, though no one I know has seen one where we live.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 7th 2015 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 11743148)
Good for your dog that she's cautious when seeing a bear! A neighbor had her little terrier (maybe 6 pounds?) slip out the back door and tear into the woods after a fox, barking its fool head off. My neighbor was terrified and ran after it, and was finally able to lure it into grabbing range with dog biscuits.

But people with the electric dog fences round their gardens are afraid to let the dogs roam within the fence, because the foxes are so close by, and wander freely wherever they wish. We're supposed to have coyotes too, been spotted in the next village, though no one I know has seen one where we live.

I know there are foxes in the province (everywhere more or less in Canada) but I have never seen one, but I have not seen a coyote either but we know they are doing well on a diet of house cats. A coyote den was found not long ago and they found dozens of collars from cats as well as remains.

We do get the odd wolf, but very rare in this region to see one.

Bob Sep 9th 2015 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11742846)
WTF is the world coming to? Multiple parts of a child's dismembered body found in a public park in Chicago. I'm speechless. And disgusted. :(

BTW The child's body found in Boston is still unidentified. :(

Someone in town was died a few weeks ago when they came off their motorbike.

Thing is, it happened in the early afternoon, of not a massively busy road, but it's the road to the mall, so busy enough.

She was thrown into the ditch, but her bike was visible by the side of the road.

No one stopped till the following evening.

She had survived the crash. Possibly would have survived had she of received medical attention.

mikelincs Sep 9th 2015 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11744471)

Thing is, it happened in the early afternoon, of not a massively busy road, but it's the road to the mall, so busy enough.

She was thrown into the ditch, but her bike was visible by the side of the road.

She had survived the crash. Possibly would have survived had she of received medical attention.

Something similar happened in Scotland, car went off the road, a major road. A car passed by, and the driver rang 999 to report the car off the road and in a ditch. The police 'found' the car 2 days later, driver dead and passenger seriously injured, passenger died a couple of days latrer. It seems the 999 call centre didn't log the call, so it was never passed on to the police. It's believed that the passenger would have lived had the police responded as they should have done.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 14th 2015 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11744471)

People don't tend to stop and see if someone needs help anymore, people probably just saw the bike, figure the rider left it there, and went on their way.

We have some accidents around here where they were not discovered for a day or 2 despite guardrails being destroyed and evidence a car went through, but people probably assumed it was from a later accident.

There is a sign for witnesses up in town for an assault that took place on the side of a very busy highway, and not one person ever stopped or even called police, so now the victim is trying to find witnesses and there should be some the highway is busy busy.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 14th 2015 11:03 am

Happens everywhere, one in Scotland.

zargof Sep 16th 2015 3:21 am

Ahmed Mohamed, 14, arrested over clock mistaken for bomb - BBC News

Why do Americans shit themselves so easily?

Anian Sep 16th 2015 3:57 am

The reason he was held so long was because "it's a clock" was not considered a good enough explanation as to how it wasn't a bomb. The lack of the bomb was also not a good enough explanation, probably made them more suspicious since they couldn't find it, it's lack of existence being the problem there.

zargof Sep 16th 2015 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 11750235)
The reason he was held so long was because "it's a clock" was not considered a good enough explanation as to how it wasn't a bomb. The lack of the bomb was also not a good enough explanation, probably made them more suspicious since they couldn't find it, it's lack of existence being the problem there.

That's always a problem with WMDs that don't exist.

sir_eccles Sep 16th 2015 4:51 am

I'm sure being brown and having the name Mohamed didn't help. /cynic

sir_eccles Sep 16th 2015 7:20 am

He apparently now has a standing invitation to meet Obama at the White House and another invitation to meet Zuckerberg.

Anian Sep 18th 2015 6:56 am

Another kid is now making headlines for criticizing Obama for using the boy to fit their political narrative. This new boy is a black teenager, which is probably the main reason the Republicans are proudly pushing his criticism as part of their political narrative. Negate the black boy publicity with different black boy publicity!

The biggest shame is that the criticism is a bit crap, pretty much blaming Obama for everything wrong in the country and for reacting more quickly to this than a murder by an immigrant, and the tone is of an angry rant. If it had been a well thought through then it might have created a useful debate rather than just being a big "screw you, Mr President!" but useful debates create change and people don't want that.

Bob Sep 18th 2015 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11742846)

BTW The child's body found in Boston is still unidentified. :(

They are saying they have now identified the child :(