WTF in America

Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Nutek
Agreed, and something I find vastly better here than in the UK.
I remember the frozen ones my mother used to buy, back in the 80's, except when I say "remember", it was more a matter of being scarred by the experience. They had the consistency of a dish cloth, though thicker (but not much), with something reddish smeared on top, scattered with gratings that might have been been cheese, and diced bits that I am fairly certain were not pork. Ugh!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:44 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I remember the frozen ones my mother used to buy, back in the 80's, except when I say "remember", it was more a matter of being scarred by the experience. They had the consistency of a dish cloth, though thicker (but not much), with something reddish smeared on top, scattered with gratings that might have been been cheese, and diced bits that I am fairly certain were not pork. Ugh!
Bought in Iceland, by any chance?

(The store, not the country).
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:45 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, and something I find vastly better here than in the UK.
It's about the only take away that I think is better here....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
It's about the only take away that I think is better here....
I rate American Pizza and Burgers (NOT McBurgers) higher than the UK.

Chinese is, well, Chinese, wherever you get it.

Fish n Chips etc, well, we don't even need to discuss that as it's so obvious.

Kebabs... The lack of them here makes me cry.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:50 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished a cracking pork pie, mushy peas and crinkle cut chip lunch, with proper bread, vinegar and Heinz ketchup..... Don't think I've got room for KFC tonight...the last chip butty just about finished me off for the day....

And yes, Bacon Collective members if you're reading, I know its my turn - been trying to free up some freezer space, but its gonna have to wait till after Spring Break now....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:51 pm

I think the only burgers we ever do as takeaway are fast food, and they're crap the world over...

Chinese - far better in the UK. Hands down no competition.

Fish n chips and kebabs .....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:52 pm

Just finished a cracking pork pie, mushy peas and crinkle cut chip lunch, with proper bread, vinegar and Heinz ketchup
Lovely! Need's a beer to round it off, but that's wishing a bit much for lunch I suppose.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:53 pm

I think the only burgers we ever do as takeaway are fast food, and they're crap the world over...

Chinese - far better in the UK. Hands down no competition.

Fish n chips and kebabs .....
We are lucky with Chinese here. have two of them close by that are very good.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:55 pm

Lovely! Need's a beer to round it off, but that's wishing a bit much for lunch I suppose.
Going to school, otherwise I would....I don't want the Tiger Moms to add "drunk" to my long list of undesirabale attributes, now do I....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You do those funny deep ones there don't you?

My current favorite is a thin crust "white" garlic Pizza. Yum!
They do the deep dish ones with the cheese under the tomato sauce, yeah but there is also a Chicago-style thin crust as well.

I'm not sure what makes it any different to any other thin crusts, except that they cut it into squares instead of triangles.

I love all kinds. Italian sausage is my go-to though.

I tend to agree. Though my old local chippy does the best burgers I have had either side of the pond.

I do like American style Chinese a lot, not better than the UK style but as a variety in its own right. American food in general appeals to me, I have to say. I always have liked it.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:57 pm

We are lucky with Chinese here. have two of them close by that are very good.
Its OK, but it never quite hits the spot - I think its more the way they serve it - plated meal style in those divided plastic cartons.....it needs to be in tin foil with a soggy cardboard top, then plonked in the middle of the table so everyone can dig in and no-one can tell who the greedy b@ast@rd is that took the last bit of duck....
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I rate American Pizza and Burgers (NOT McBurgers) higher than the UK. ....
Correct.
..... Chinese is, well, Chinese, wherever you get it. ....
I can't agree with that one. Some dishes are better here, such as General Zhou's chicken, some in the UK, such as crispy Peking duck. Overall I like American style Chinese, but I'd like it a whole lot more if it didn't have so much dämned broccoli in it.
.... Fish n Chips etc, well, we don't even need to discuss that as it's so obvious. ....

.... Kebabs... The lack of them here makes me cry.
Gyros are a close enough approximation, or at least they would be if they came with chilli sauce.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 7th 2014 at 7:04 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:08 pm

Bought in Iceland, by any chance. .....
I don't think so, we shopped there for a while, after my mother got her first freezer, but the novelty of buying frozen food in a separate shop soon wore off.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:10 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I waited in line to be seated at a deep dish restaurant in Chicago. We then waited like 40 minutes for the pizza to come out because they are made to order. Couldn't they just start cooking it a bit early? Do you think everyone in line was going to try order sushi or something? No wonder the line was so long. Half the place was twiddling their thumbs waiting at their tables. WTF?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I waited in line to be seated at a deep dish restaurant in Chicago. We then waited like 40 minutes for the pizza to come out because they are made to order. Couldn't they just start cooking it a bit early? Do you think everyone in line was going to try order sushi or something? No wonder the line was so long. Half the place was twiddling their thumbs waiting at their tables. WTF?
I don't know what it's like in Chicago itself. We order ours from a takeaway in town, so I don't have to worry about a wait like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.