British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

Nutek Oct 11th 2016 7:16 pm

Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12074001)
I see that Australia is now getting in on the creepy clown craze. Do we know anyone down under who this might impact? :unsure:

Creepy clown arrested at drive through

Creepy clown terrorises two 12 yearold girls in Adelaide

I suspect she is behind it all.

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12073994)
A few years ago when I was visiting some friends in Leeds, we went to this place for Halloween - To DIE For - Halloween 2016 at Yorkshire Scare Grounds.

Basic story themes around the worlds gone to S**t after a zombie-based apocalypse, marshal law is in order you're a doctor and you're being sent in to a containment zone to evaluate whats left. Lots of walking around different themed areas involving field tents, hospitals, an asylum and a (tiny) town. Obviously lots of zombie clowns jumping out (obv alot of clowns were lost during the zombie apocalypse), strobes, smoke and sound FX.

The guy who came out to do the safety talk was dressed as a full on clown... in British Army uniform. Even clown shoes. His safety brief ended with him revving a chainsaw (without the chain - H&S.etc) and running at us. Was an interesting night.

Certainly sounds interesting. Not quite sure why they were zombie clowns, but I'm sure there's a good reason :D

livinginnyc Oct 11th 2016 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12074003)
Certainly sounds interesting. Not quite sure why they were zombie clowns, but I'm sure there's a good reason :D

It actually was pretty good as far as those sort of things go, the worst bit by far was the asylum as its nearly pitch black aside from occasional flashes. It's also a maze of mirrors/cages full of actors patients that jump out, kick props.etc .etc .etc

We did the London dungeons and Tower Bridge experience too.

London dungeons wasn't scary so much as the 'please please please don't pick me for audience participation'. which of course they prey on.

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2016 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12074010)
It actually was pretty good as far as those sort of things go, the worst bit by far was the asylum as its nearly pitch black aside from occasional flashes. It's also a maze of mirrors/cages full of actors patients that jump out, kick props.etc .etc .etc

We did the London dungeons and Tower Bridge experience too.

London dungeons wasn't scary so much as the 'please please please don't pick me for audience participation'. which of course they prey on.

Ugh, 'audience participation' would put me right off.

livinginnyc Oct 11th 2016 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12074014)
Ugh, 'audience participation' would put me right off.

They had a judge setup where they pick 3 people at random to 'confess' to crimes ranging from relations with a horse to witch craft, medieval torture demonstration and insane surgeon where you get put in a chair and they remove your brain/spray some blood (water) at the front row and other stuff.

I got pulled out for the insane surgeon, and one of my friends got pulled out and was burned at the stake as I recall. Think its all changed now though.

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2016 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12074020)
They had a judge setup where they pick 3 people at random to 'confess' to crimes ranging from relations with a horse to witch craft, medieval torture demonstration and insane surgeon where you get put in a chair and they remove your brain/spray some blood (water) at the front row and other stuff.

I got pulled out for the insane surgeon, and one of my friends got pulled out and was burned at the stake as I recall. Think its all changed now though.

At least you didn't get picked for 'relations with a horse' ... :blink:

joto Oct 11th 2016 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12074020)

Probably too many people that would get "offended", "harassed", or otherwise, "mentally harmed", and terminally pc'd, if they weren't already.

Anian Oct 11th 2016 7:43 pm

My neighbour kept their child home from school on Friday because she saw a "threat" from the killer clowns on twitter. They said they would be at every school in the county on that day. Hysteria.

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2016 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 12074029)
Probably too many people that would get "offended", "harassed", or otherwise, "mentally harmed", and terminally pc'd, if they weren't already.

That's all very easy to say until they bring out the horse.

livinginnyc Oct 11th 2016 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12074028)
At least you didn't get picked for 'relations with a horse' ... :blink:

They make a joke about it asking if it was a 'stable relationship' and everyone laughs. I would have called back 'neigh' but pretty sure you then put a target on your back for being sassy and getting pulled out for everything else on the tour.

All I had to do was sit down and not say anything... but they pull a curtain round when something good happens, and people jump. Prob a murder.

Originally Posted by joto (Post 12074029)

This was like 2 years ago, I meant it had all changed as they moved it to the London Eye since I left the UK.

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2016 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12074039)
They make a joke about it asking if it was a 'stable relationship' and everyone laughs.

I'd say a fair few groan as well. That one makes me look funny.

morpeth Oct 11th 2016 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12073781)
Have no clue where in the US you live but if you lived in my former state and neighborhood, you would have all the fresh made mozzarella that you wanted. The same with all the best Italian bread on this continent. (Yup, I'm bias ;) )

Denny isn't a bad place to eat breakfast or lunch, be it here in the US or up in Canada.

As for accepting "low quality food", you eat and enjoy what you are familiar with. The Brits love the foods they left behind and bemoan its unavailability here in some areas of the states. The same with most nationalities. Hey at least you don't have to eat in places you don't like. There is usually a good number of restaurants that you can choose from other than semi-fast food places.

Each to his own taste I guess. My experience in Italy was in southern Italy during many visits, I rarely had a bad meal, and often superb meals. Decent bread, coffee, cheese, variety of dishes, special after diner drinks. Italians whom I visited in their homes definitely eat better than any American I know. Most Italian friends have visited have remarked on same thing. I have lived in three states, and visited more , uniformly have not been impressed either with restaurants or food average person buys in super markets. I never ate in tourist hotel in Italy so I cant comment on that.

Some places of course better to eat than others, California had more variety than where I live now. Some great Chinese food. had a Sicilian friend with an excellent restaurant which was expensive enough he actually would fly in cannoli ,fruit, cheese and other items direct from Sicily.

I admit though I over-pay for silly items from the local British Foods store, just emotional memories, and a good steak in USA is something I do enjoy occasionally.

mrken30 Oct 11th 2016 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12074062)
Each to his own taste I guess. My experience in Italy was in southern Italy during many visits, I rarely had a bad meal, and often superb meals. Decent bread, coffee, cheese, variety of dishes, special after diner drinks. Italians whom I visited in their homes definitely eat better than any American I know. Most Italian friends have visited have remarked on same thing. I have lived in three states, and visited more , uniformly have not been impressed either with restaurants or food average person buys in super markets. I never ate in tourist hotel in Italy so I cant comment on that.

I would agree, even the bad food in Italy tastes good.

mrken30 Oct 11th 2016 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12073791)
NYC Pharmacy Slaps Male Shoppers with Man Tax
Has this gender-equality thing gotten out of hand yet?

Guys can now change babies

https://www.romper.com/p/president-o...dads-too-20010

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2016 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12074082)

Just about every public bog around our way has those in the gents' already.

Pulaski Oct 11th 2016 10:32 pm

Re: WTF in Ameica

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12074002)
I suspect she is behind it all.

Or they are all behind her. :sneaky:

scrubbedexpat091 Oct 11th 2016 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12074087)
Just about every public bog around our way has those in the gents' already.

Cant recall the last time I saw a men's room without a change table, they even sometimes have vending machines for diapers.

SultanOfSwing Oct 11th 2016 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12074130)
Cant recall the last time I saw a men's room without a change table, they even sometimes have vending machines for diapers.

Maybe some regions don't, but I definitely changed my daughter at restaurants and at the store in the men's room.

Pulaski Oct 11th 2016 10:47 pm

They almost all do round here, though there is rarely a sign outside the men's room that there are baby-changing facilities inside.

A year or so back Mrs P commented, on seeing a baby-changing sign along side the "Men" sign, that it was nice to see that they were starting to put baby-changing facilities in the men's rooms. She hadn't realised that they had been there all along, there just aren't signs outside the door! :rofl:

morpeth Oct 12th 2016 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12073781)
Have no clue where in the US you live but if you lived in my former state and neighborhood, you would have all the fresh made mozzarella that you wanted. The same with all the best Italian bread on this continent. (Yup, I'm bias ;) )

Denny isn't a bad place to eat breakfast or lunch, be it here in the US or up in Canada.

As for accepting "low quality food", you eat and enjoy what you are familiar with. The Brits love the foods they left behind and bemoan its unavailability here in some areas of the states. The same with most nationalities. Hey at least you don't have to eat in places you don't like. There is usually a good number of restaurants that you can choose from other than semi-fast food places.

Which state are you referring to ,so I keep in mind. For a while I was doing business in New York but wasn't very impressed with Italian restaurants there, though I do remember a few Italian markets that did have some goods I never saw in California. Havent visited Philadelphia though.

kimilseung Oct 12th 2016 1:16 am

Another reason to make them all unisex. Save money on the installation and everyone gets access to changing facilities.

morpeth Oct 12th 2016 1:20 am

Depends where one lives. In state I am in and two nearby states have never seen change table in men's room, except at the airport.

morpeth Oct 12th 2016 1:40 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12074066)
I would agree, even the bad food in Italy tastes good.

Quite agree. France I have had different experience- some really superb restaurants, but also have encountered ones hardly deserved to have been open. Most French families seem to eat better than Americans but not all, and school lunches were quite impressive.

Both Italians and French I have known in United States remarked how poorly Americans eat and quality of food.

My pet theory ( unscientific I admit) is in America the pressure of competition and time has caused some of the issues as compared to some other countries. And that after a few generations "ethnic food" ( as Italian food considered in say 20's or 30's in much of country) adjusts to the tastes and commercial situation until finally it evolves into a paler imitation of the original.

I guess though I admit some is just taste. In Sicily I like the Granita di Café in the morning with a brioche. Much superior to the "granitas" that I tasted on West coast. And finding a decent brioche I think would also be a challenge.

Though I like going to waffle house ( though avoid steaks there), big breakfast as long as bacon not cooked to total crisp, and watching the characters interacting with each other. The huge omelettes stuffed with half melted American sliced processed cheese I find incomprehensible as something anyone would possibly order, but I see them ordered and people asking for extra cheese.

I will say though it seems an article faith in Italian tourist hotels to make the worst scrambled eggs on the planet.

Pulaski Oct 12th 2016 1:47 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12074226)
I like going to waffle house ..... big breakfast as long as bacon not cooked to total crisp, ....

I recommend the "country ham", rather than bacon, which may or may not be on the menu (if it is, it usually appears with the steaks IIRC). I have always been served country ham when I asked for it, even if I couldn't find it on the menu.

moneypenny20 Oct 12th 2016 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12074127)
Or they are all behind her. :sneaky:

I'm not paranoid. I know they're out to get me! :(

livinginnyc Oct 12th 2016 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12074993)
I'm not paranoid. I know they're out to get me! :(

Get them before they get you! Trust no one.

http://www.texaspoker.dk/files/txp-u...ere-a6fb9b.jpg

Don't forget to fortify your house and make a bug out bag.

Steerpike Oct 12th 2016 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12073197)
I must say after being in America many years, amazing to me how Americans accept such low quality food.

Italians I know who visit after a week or two are appalled at what is served here.

One that gets me is the usual mozzarella sold in grocery stores. Some of it looks and tastes like it is pure rubber.

No Denny's around here, a few IHOP, lots of Waffle Houses.

I would agree there is a good deal of low quality food on offer here, but then, there is also a good deal of great quality food if you know where to look, at least where I've lived. The Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Vietnamese/etc) food in the bay area is fantastic. San Francisco is something like 40% Asian so that's not surprising. Tuscany and Umbria are two of my favorite regions of Italy and I've traveled there a fair bit, and I've found tolerably comparable meals in the Bay Area.

When I travel to remote areas I stick to 'mom and pop' places, and order things like steaks or fried chicken or whatever - and usually enjoy it.

You do realize that the yellow "Mozzarella" they sell in packets is not intended to be a substitute for the Mozzarella that is sold 'fresh' ... I don't know why they even call the former Mozzarella. This is the 'real' mozzarella, and is readily available at most half-decent grocery stores - https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Buffa...6314129&sr=1-2 .

In Scottsdale, I'm finding some really great pizza places, and lots of healthy salad places - quite a surprise. The top rated pizza restaurant in the US is in Phoenix - http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/#about

Edit To Add: When I left the UK in '83, the food situation was pretty dire; the fast food scene consisted of 'Wimpy' burgers, and the road traveler was faced with some really lousy options (names escape me now). Restaurants were pricey, stodgy, stuffy, and served bland over-cooked food. Vegetables were boiled to death. Sandwiches were pathetic. The US was head and shoulders above the UK back then. But I happen to be back in the UK at the moment, in a not-very exciting part of Yorkshire. The food options are very good - local sausages and meats from the 'farm shop', plenty of decent cafe's serving really good food, and plenty of options in the supermarkets. I had 'Pan Fried Pigeon Breast with Black Pudding' yesterday in a cafe next to a farm shop, and it was outstanding. So I have to say, the UK has come a long way food-wise in the past 33 years. My sister-in-law still boils her vegetables to death, but she's served up some killer lamb curries, lamb chops, and chicken dishes so far. And the drink options are also vastly improved - lots of fruit juices, decent coffee, and also, some really nice fizzy drinks like sarsaparilla, Dandelion and Burdock, Ginger Beer, etc.

morpeth Oct 13th 2016 12:31 am

I agree

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12075181)
I would agree there is a good deal of low quality food on offer here, but then, there is also a good deal of great quality food if you know where to look, at least where I've lived. The Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Vietnamese/etc) food in the bay area is fantastic. San Francisco is something like 40% Asian so that's not surprising. Tuscany and Umbria are two of my favorite regions of Italy and I've traveled there a fair bit, and I've found tolerably comparable meals in the Bay Area.

When I travel to remote areas I stick to 'mom and pop' places, and order things like steaks or fried chicken or whatever - and usually enjoy it.

You do realize that the yellow "Mozzarella" they sell in packets is not intended to be a substitute for the Mozzarella that is sold 'fresh' ... I don't know why they even call the former Mozzarella. This is the 'real' mozzarella, and is readily available at most half-decent grocery stores - https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Buffa...6314129&sr=1-2 .

In Scottsdale, I'm finding some really great pizza places, and lots of healthy salad places - quite a surprise. The top rated pizza restaurant in the US is in Phoenix - BIANCO

Edit To Add: When I left the UK in '83, the food situation was pretty dire; the fast food scene consisted of 'Wimpy' burgers, and the road traveler was faced with some really lousy options (names escape me now). Restaurants were pricey, stodgy, stuffy, and served bland over-cooked food. Vegetables were boiled to death. Sandwiches were pathetic. The US was head and shoulders above the UK back then. But I happen to be back in the UK at the moment, in a not-very exciting part of Yorkshire. The food options are very good - local sausages and meats from the 'farm shop', plenty of decent cafe's serving really good food, and plenty of options in the supermarkets. I had 'Pan Fried Pigeon Breast with Black Pudding' yesterday in a cafe next to a farm shop, and it was outstanding. So I have to say, the UK has come a long way food-wise in the past 33 years. My sister-in-law still boils her vegetables to death, but she's served up some killer lamb curries, lamb chops, and chicken dishes so far. And the drink options are also vastly improved - lots of fruit juices, decent coffee, and also, some really nice fizzy drinks like sarsaparilla, Dandelion and Burdock, Ginger Beer, etc.

I miss the fizzy drinks, whenever I find British Foods Store I stock up on them. Vegetables boiled to death brings back memories !

As far as Bay Area I agree some great Asian restaurants, in particular Chinese ones. Dim Sum at the Imperial Palace in Chinatown used to be a favorite when I was there. For Italian food I would agree "tolerably comparable" restaurants can be found in Bay Area, but not many. Years ago the North Beach restaurant was good, but I noticed decline over the years.

When I lived there was only one place in whole of Bay Area one could find a good variety of somewhat fresh French and Italian cheeses, called "Cheese Please" in Burlingame, don't know if still in business.

Moonsquirrel Oct 14th 2016 3:22 am

Why do Americans buy so many mattresses?

md95065 Oct 14th 2016 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Moonsquirrel (Post 12076388)

Because it is patriotic to go out and spend money that you don't have on things that you don't need, especially on national holidays ...

Beaverstate Oct 14th 2016 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Moonsquirrel (Post 12076388)

Because we are compassionate. We dump our slightly used ones on the side of a rural road for the homeless to sleep on.:nod: We care.

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 14th 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 12076551)
Because we are compassionate. We dump our slightly used ones on the side of a rural road for the homeless to sleep on.:nod: We care.

:lol::thumbsup:

Nutek Oct 14th 2016 1:13 pm

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-h6PH5RK-S.jpg

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 14th 2016 1:19 pm

Just a quick reminder to everybody:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6413090221.jpg

BubbleChog Oct 14th 2016 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12076624)
Just a quick reminder to everybody:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6413090221.jpg

I have a problem - SmallChog wants to be a clown, with the ongoing clown hysteria I am afraid she will cause a neighbourhood lock down

SultanOfSwing Oct 14th 2016 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by BubbleChog (Post 12076661)
I have a problem - SmallChog wants to be a clown, with the ongoing clown hysteria I am afraid she will cause a neighbourhood lock down

Win win, she gets all the candy to herself.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 14th 2016 1:46 pm

Do you have 24/7 counselling available?

Nutek Oct 14th 2016 2:04 pm

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...r-daughter.jpg

Should do the trick.

SultanOfSwing Oct 14th 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12076683)

https://i.imgflip.com/1cc7bq.jpg

Nutek Oct 14th 2016 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12076698)

Nah... They wont be able to put up with the blankets tenting over the hula-hoop pants and giant shoes.