British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

spouse of scouse Dec 4th 2019 4:03 am

Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12773943)
Bit of tape over the lens, and he might have been alright.

I'm sure that we're all glad he wasn't alright, what a sick person he his. I'm also sure that if that was done to any of our mothers, wives, sisters or daughters we'd want him locked away in a psychiatric institution, where he so obviously belongs. Or maybe worse....

Steerpike Dec 4th 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12773947)
I wonder why they save video and audio from before being turned on, rather than after being turned off... Rather than having the officers able to control them at all, it would seem sensible to just have them powered up at the start of a shift and turned in at the end.

I think we have some Law Enforcement types on this forum ... would be interesting to know how this works. As a techie, and someone who does a lot of video work, I can see a lot of challenges and issues with such devices. If the stated goal of the bodycam is only to protect the police, then giving control of the camera to the "wearing officer" is fine. But if they want to also protect the public from 'bad cops', then making the device 'tamper proof' becomes important. If I'm a cop, and I do something naughty, then I could - smash the device; lose the device; remove the storage media and wipe it; record over the top of some event; etc etc. It occurred to me the only 'safe' way to implement this would be to wirelessly transmit the image as it's happening to a remote location - cellular, or - via WiFi to a secure capture device in the car, but that approach introduces all manner of technical challenges. Making the bodycams 'sealed' and 'un-controllable' by the wearer might be feasible.

Any LE folks out there with knowledge of this?

ETA - this page has a 'how it works' section:
https://theyarewatching.org/technolo...ce-body-camera

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 4th 2019 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12773945)
I've often wondered about how bodycams work; it would seem rather obvious to me that you wouldn't want the wearer to have control over the recording, since the wearer could just turn it off before doing some 'bad deed'. Are they, in fact, under the direct control of the wearer?

They seem to be at some departments, I saw some body cam footage of some cops at a car accident, one cop tells another to turn his cam and mic off so they can talk.

Some of things cops have been caught doing while wearing a camera that is on, kind of scary what the cops without cameras are doing.

dc koop Dec 4th 2019 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12774254)
They seem to be at some departments, I saw some body cam footage of some cops at a car accident, one cop tells another to turn his cam and mic off so they can talk.

Some of things cops have been caught doing while wearing a camera that is on, kind of scary what the cops without cameras are doing.

Stopping speeding motorists and whacking them with night sticks before asking for drivers licenses and registrations. Getting a few freebies at the local cat house or the donut shop, whistling at pretty young girls from their police cruisers, asking fro bribes from jay walkers and taking an hour or two out while on duty to catch up on some projects at home.

All in jest of course but for every bad apple there are a few million cops who perform their duties honestly and conscientiously. One of the reasons that you and I can sleep safely in bed at night. There's a memorial plaque in City Hall or Parker Center with the names of many LAPD officers who gave their lives while on duty.

robin1234 Dec 4th 2019 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12774290)
Stopping speeding motorists and whacking them with night sticks before asking for drivers licenses and registrations. Getting a few freebies at the local cat house or the donut shop, whistling at pretty young girls from their police cruisers, asking fro bribes from jay walkers and taking an hour or two out while on duty to catch up on some projects at home.

All in jest of course but for every bad apple there are a few million cops who perform their duties honestly and conscientiously. One of the reasons that you and I can sleep safely in bed at night. There's a memorial plaque in City Hall or Parker Center with the names of many LAPD officers who gave their lives while on duty.

What complete and utter nonsense you write! I believe there are less than 900,000 police officers in the United States. So, less than one bad apple in the United States at any one time.

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2019 1:59 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12774299)
What complete and utter nonsense you write!

Bootlickers gonna bootlick.

dc koop Dec 5th 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12774447)
Bootlickers gonna bootlick.

I wondered when our little retro 60s anti everything rebel would get in his three cents worth. Run along boy. The boss has another job for you.

SultanOfSwing Dec 5th 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12774594)
I wondered when our little retro 60s anti everything rebel would get in his three cents worth. Run along boy. The boss has another job for you.

Lib.

dc koop Dec 5th 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12774596)
Lib.

Whenever I hear the word liberal I reach for my fly swat

Zoe Bell Dec 6th 2019 12:13 am

Women of gilead , i mean the USA, I'd leave now while you still can

moneypenny20 Dec 6th 2019 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12774821)
https://twitter.com/rgreggkeller/sta...420160?lang=en

Women of gilead , i mean the USA, I'd leave now while you still can

Wait, that's not a joke? (It would be a bad joke obviously) :eek:

Zoe Bell Dec 6th 2019 12:44 am

nope up there with wanting to track every woman's period, reimplant ectopic pregnancies and forcing abortion centres to spew scientifically inaccurate crap about all the horrible things that will happen to you

SultanOfSwing Dec 6th 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12774723)
Whenever I hear the word liberal I reach for my fly swat

OK.

SultanOfSwing Dec 6th 2019 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 12774837)
... reimplant ectopic pregnancies ...

This one demonstrates such a terrible understanding of human biology that it makes me weep for not only the American education system, but for what kind of a future my daughter is going to have in this hellworld.

Gordon Barlow Dec 7th 2019 10:49 am

Has it ever been decided in a Federal court exactly what constitutes a "militia" as envisaged by the US constitutional amendment #2? This Virginia story (the headline refers to a "Second Amendment Sanctuary adds militia ordinance...") surely challenges the banning of arms.
https://www.heraldcourier.com/news/t...a694602e3.html

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2019 2:27 am

High School Cancels ‘Tarzan’ Production Over Racism Fears

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...r-racism-fears

I wonder what they replaced it with.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2019 2:35 am

A Seattle public official has been suspended after it was reported that she hired a transgender stripper to dance topless at her agency's annual homelessness conference.

Transgender stripper Beyonce Black St James reportedly "danced on tables, gave lap dances, and stripped down to a pair of silver pasties as people threw dollar bills". The
took place at the homelessness conference that was held on December 9. The theme of the conference had been "decolonizing our collective work."

Acting director of King County's coordinating agency for homelessness, Kira Zylstra, had organized the 'All Home' conference and was placed on administrative leave post the incident. City and county employees, donors, and representatives of Catholic Community Services, Mary’s Place, and Neighborhood House had all attended the conference.

As reported by The Seattle Times, St James' striptease had been referred to as a "cultural presentation" in the program. A staffer shared, "No one expected it. So I think some people felt uncomfortable." In a short video, St James, who identifies as a trans woman on her social media page, can be seen doing high kicks and splits, in a tight bodysuit.

https://meaww.com/seattle-public-off...ess-conference

robin1234 Dec 18th 2019 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12780327)
A Seattle public official has been suspended after it was reported that she hired a transgender stripper to dance topless at her agency's annual homelessness conference.

Transgender stripper Beyonce Black St James reportedly "danced on tables, gave lap dances, and stripped down to a pair of silver pasties as people threw dollar bills". staffer shared, "No one expected it. So I think some people felt uncomfortable."

Vegan, I hope. Or plant based, or whatever the contemporary phrase is.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2019 4:21 am

Well you can see in the video clip, usual warning at your own risk etc.

robin1234 Dec 18th 2019 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12780375)
Well you can see in the video clip, usual warning at your own risk etc.

My mistake. I looked up the word “pasty,” learned something new,

caretaker Dec 24th 2019 1:22 am

“I think it’s just crazy for anyone to shoot anybody over a haircut, period,” Wyatt told KHOU.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...as-police-say/

spouse of scouse Dec 24th 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12782097)
“I think it’s just crazy for anyone to shoot anybody over a haircut, period,” Wyatt told KHOU.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...as-police-say/

A Christmas ceasefire à la 1914 would be nice.

robin1234 Dec 24th 2019 8:59 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12782168)
A Christmas ceasefire à la 1914 would be nice.

A football match!

spouse of scouse Dec 24th 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12782181)

A football match!

I like it. Don't play with guns, play football instead.

caretaker Dec 24th 2019 4:27 pm

Robber redistributes wealth in the spirit of Christmas.
Some of the people turned it in...
https://af.reuters.com/article/oddly.../idAFKBN1YT024

BEVS Dec 25th 2019 5:10 pm

Why did the turkey join the band?
Because it had the drumsticks!
:santa:

kimilseung Jan 1st 2020 5:04 pm

15 foot Tumbleweed drifts in Washington State, they used a snow plough to clear the road
https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...7-fda2017b3cff

moneypenny20 Jan 1st 2020 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12784261)
15 foot Tumbleweed drifts in Washington State, they used a snow plough to clear the road

That's bizarre.

BEVS Jan 1st 2020 5:32 pm

You beat me to it.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 1st 2020 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12784264)
That's bizarre.

I am not sure where this video was taken, but was in 2014 and they used a snow plow as well to clear a path.

and this

They are a pain in the rear end, my mom lives in the desert of California and some years she has so many in her yard it takes them a week or 2 to deal with them all.

mikelincs Jan 1st 2020 6:35 pm

Made the BBC Breakfast news this morning watching them removing a huge drift to expose the car that had been buried.

Steerpike Jan 4th 2020 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12784274)
I am not sure where this video was taken, but was in 2014 and they used a snow plow as well to clear a path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEPB01Y_xOc

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUp2KyJjpZw

They are a pain in the rear end, my mom lives in the desert of California and some years she has so many in her yard it takes them a week or 2 to deal with them all.

OMG that is so amazing! Thanks for posting! I've been driving down I5 towards LA when a windstorm would blow them across the freeway, scaring the heck out of me, but absolutely nothing like what we see in these videos! Interesting to read how they form and detach - I had no idea! I've also driven through Victorville once ... I wondered 'who lives here and why' ...

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 4th 2020 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12785200)
OMG that is so amazing! Thanks for posting! I've been driving down I5 towards LA when a windstorm would blow them across the freeway, scaring the heck out of me, but absolutely nothing like what we see in these videos! Interesting to read how they form and detach - I had no idea! I've also driven through Victorville once ... I wondered 'who lives here and why' ...

It would certainly not be my top pick of city's to live in. From the 1940's to early 1990's it was home to an air force base (army air field before it became air force) so I would imagine that kept a fair amount of people living there during that time and allowed the city to grow, and support services like hospitals and such to grow, when the base closed, the airport became the logistics airport it is now which besides being aircraft storage, does maintenance, painting, and other aircraft related services, there are also 2 federal prisons there as well.

I think Wal-Mart has a large distribution center in the area as well.

Most likely live there via whatever job they have and their families and kids follow, can't imagine someone actually waking up and saying hey lets move to Victorville lol

Steerpike Jan 4th 2020 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12785225)
It would certainly not be my top pick of city's to live in. From the 1940's to early 1990's it was home to an air force base (army air field before it became air force) so I would imagine that kept a fair amount of people living there during that time and allowed the city to grow, and support services like hospitals and such to grow, when the base closed, the airport became the logistics airport it is now which besides being aircraft storage, does maintenance, painting, and other aircraft related services, there are also 2 federal prisons there as well.

Most likely live there via whatever job they have and their families and kids follow, can't imagine someone actually waking up and saying hey lets move to Victorville lol

I drove through there circa 2010, not long after the property bust, and saw a lot of brand new housing developments. I think places like Victorville represented the last dying throes of the crazy housing boom that ended in 2008, when people would buy 'anything, anywhere' and assume it would appreciate. I have friends from CA who bought homes in "Queen Creek' AZ (southeast of the Phoenix metro) purely as an investment, at that time. They had no intention of ever living there; they just bought with a view to selling in a year or two. They all still own them 10+ years later, and they are still under water. They rent them out at really low rents ... if they are lucky to even find tenants.

joto Jan 4th 2020 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12785225)

On the way home from Las Vegas, we had to stop in Victorville to go to the loo. Stopped at Stater Bros supermarket. They are usually nice supermarkets, but this one had a security guard on the door, had to ask for a key for the loo doors, and the bottles of booze all were locked up behind glass doors. Not the usual setup at our local one. Couldn't get out of there quick enough.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 4th 2020 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 12785282)
On the way home from Las Vegas, we had to stop in Victorville to go to the loo. Stopped at Stater Bros supermarket. They are usually nice supermarkets, but this one had a security guard on the door, had to ask for a key for the loo doors, and the bottles of booze all were locked up behind glass doors. Not the usual setup at our local one. Couldn't get out of there quick enough.

Reminds me of our trip in California and we stopped for gas in Lancaster, the gas station we stopped at had thick bullet proof glass, and the area was sketchy at best, could not get out of there fast enough. The sign at the freeway entrance was covered in bullet holes, will not stop there again....

I saw that Victorville has a pretty high poverty rate and high rates of poverty can lead to more crime, prisons also don't attract the best people...

kimilseung Jan 4th 2020 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 12785282)
....this one had a security guard on the door, had to ask for a key for the loo doors, and the bottles of booze all were locked up behind glass doors. Not the usual setup at our local one.....

No different to Salford, or parts of Seattle that the tourists dont go to, I assumed every city had its areas.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 4th 2020 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12785296)
No different to Salford, or parts of Seattle that the tourists dont go to, I assumed every city had its areas.

I often wonder if Vancouver is one of the only major city's in US/Canada were the bad part of the city gets a good amount of tourist traffic. Hard as a tourist to miss the DTES as it borders tourist areas like Gastown and Chinatown, and those open top hop on and off tour buses drive right through the bad part of the city. If you have never been to Vancouver before and don't know about the DTES is can be a shocking experience, and one of the only affordable budget hotels Vancouver has is in the DTES.

https://www.vancourier.com/news/how-...ted-1.23920263

Gordon Barlow Jan 5th 2020 5:12 am

WTF, indeed!

A new federal court filing accuses Gaston County of civil rights violations, and 16 names on the complaint belong to cats. Defendants “Boo Loo,” “Tony Tiger,” “Girlfriend Sara,” “Buh Buh Logan,” “Sillygirl Sally,” “Rascal Russell” et al were seized by the county’s animal control officers in early November from the Cherryville home of Damon Fields, court documents show.

Now, both the names of the pets and their owner appear on the cover page of an unusual federal complaint alleging violations of due process — human and feline alike.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...238905783.html

Steerpike Jan 5th 2020 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12785320)
I often wonder if Vancouver is one of the only major city's in US/Canada were the bad part of the city gets a good amount of tourist traffic. Hard as a tourist to miss the DTES as it borders tourist areas like Gastown and Chinatown, and those open top hop on and off tour buses drive right through the bad part of the city. If you have never been to Vancouver before and don't know about the DTES is can be a shocking experience, and one of the only affordable budget hotels Vancouver has is in the DTES.

https://www.vancourier.com/news/how-...ted-1.23920263

Market Street in SF, and especially the Powell St cable-car stop, is very much on the main tourist route. A lot of the cheaper hotels are located 'South of Market' which can be extremely 'colorful'. I feel sorry for those tourists that end up there.