British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

SultanOfSwing Oct 5th 2016 4:32 am

Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12069185)
Bardstown man cited after firing AR-15 to scare off woman mistaken for clown | Lexington Herald-Leader

"A man used his AR-15 gun to scare a woman wearing a white afghan Monday after mistaking her for clown, according to a citation from the Bardstown Police Department."

Clowns are, of course, famous for their incorporation of white Afghans into their costume. I suppose, better that it was 'shot at', rather than 'shot', in this case.

Could that article have made it clearer what type of gun was used though? It was rather ambiguous if you ask me ...

Pulaski Oct 5th 2016 4:35 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12069189)
.... Could that article have made it clearer what type of gun was used though? It was rather ambiguous if you ask me ...

I think calling it an "assault rifle" would have made it clearer. :rolleyes:

zargof Oct 5th 2016 4:36 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12069189)
Clowns are, of course, famous for their incorporation of white Afghans into their costume. I suppose, better that it was 'shot at', rather than 'shot', in this case.

Could that article have made it clearer what type of gun was used though? It was rather ambiguous if you ask me ...

Isn't Afghan a Muslim thing?

SultanOfSwing Oct 5th 2016 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12069191)
I think calling it an "assault rifle" would have made it clearer. :rolleyes:

Maybe so :D

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12069193)

Unless it was a dog.

Oakvillian Oct 5th 2016 5:39 am

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 12069193)

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12069213)
Unless it was a dog.

Or a rug

kimilseung Oct 5th 2016 11:48 am

Does anyone remember the stories at school of the skinheads waiting outside of school for kids and playing OXO on their skin with their Stanleys? I was about 10 when that was a thing.

Gordon Barlow Oct 7th 2016 2:47 pm

Dad: ‘I had to pay $39.35 to hold my baby after he was born’ | fox8.com
Actually, the delivery nurse's explanation seems legitimate enough, but even so it is a genuine WTF moment!

RICH Oct 7th 2016 3:58 pm

If you add WTF to WQM do you get IDGAF?

Gordon Barlow Oct 7th 2016 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12071212)
If you add WTF to WQM do you get IDGAF?

A very interesting question. Maybe you do, maybe you don't! What does WQM stand for?

RICH Oct 8th 2016 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12071238)
A very interesting question. Maybe you do, maybe you don't! What does WQM stand for?

You've not seen this thread then?

moneypenny20 Oct 8th 2016 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12069262)
Or a rug

I used to have and Afghan coat. Jesus they stunk when they got wet!

dj6372 Oct 10th 2016 2:12 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12071892)

Showing your hippy roots!
My sister had one as well, and jeez yes it stunk!

Nutek Oct 10th 2016 3:07 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12071892)

I found a video of someone putting one on.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 10th 2016 3:15 am

Did not realise there were so many old farts around here.

moneypenny20 Oct 10th 2016 7:55 am

People go to an IHOP more than once? WTF America????

Pulaski Oct 10th 2016 8:12 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12073029)
People go to an IHOP more than once? WTF America????

I've never been, not even once. Cracker Barrel, yes, Waffle House, yes, and even Denny's occasionally, but never IHOP.

SultanOfSwing Oct 10th 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12073044)
I've never been, not even once. Cracker Barrel, yes, Waffle House, yes, and even Denny's occasionally, but never IHOP.

I like Cracker Barrel and Denny's.

I've never been to IHOP either, but I'd probably like it there too. The closest Waffle House to me is in Indiana :lol:

moneypenny20 Oct 10th 2016 8:24 am

Daughter's friend who is with us insisted we go. We almost fell into a diabetic coma just walking in the place from the stench of maple syrup in the air.

sir_eccles Oct 10th 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12073046)
I like Cracker Barrel and Denny's.

I've never been to IHOP either, but I'd probably like it there too. The closest Waffle House to me is in Indiana :lol:

Cracker barrel is great value. Love it for road trip stops.

Interesting fact about Waffle House, they have a very comprehensive disaster plan for things like hurricanes. Basically they have a plan to open under most circumstances. If the Waffle House is actually closed you better be leaving town before Armageddon starts. FEMA uses is as a gauge to severity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

Anian Oct 10th 2016 8:27 am

Don't let your arms touch the table or you have to peel them off slowly due to the intense stickiness.

SultanOfSwing Oct 10th 2016 8:33 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12073055)
Daughter's friend who is with us insisted we go. We almost fell into a diabetic coma just walking in the place from the stench of maple syrup in the air.

If they paid for the meal - consider it a win.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12073060)
Cracker barrel is great value. Love it for road trip stops.

The first (and to date only) time I went there was when we were down at Mammoth Cave, so not only did I enjoy the food, I also associate it with being on vacation as well. Double points for me there.

Interesting fact about Waffle House, they have a very comprehensive disaster plan for things like hurricanes. Basically they have a plan to open under most circumstances. If the Waffle House is actually closed you better be leaving town before Armageddon starts. FEMA uses is as a gauge to severity.

That's pretty interesting.

So in addition to not knowing what their food tastes like, having no Waffle House around means I also don't know when I'm about to die in a natural disaster :lol:

livinginnyc Oct 10th 2016 8:41 am

I feel like I'm missing out having never been to/heard of (scratch that just saw the logo and have definitely seen it around) cracker barrel.

I've been to an IHOP once. they screwed up the order, twice.

Is Waffle house something more popular down south? I've seen tons of Sonic's around here, never seen a WH though.

Pulaski Oct 10th 2016 8:52 am

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12073075)
I feel like I'm missing out having never been to/heard of (scratch that just saw the logo and have definitely seen it around) cracker barrel.

I've been to an IHOP once. they screwed up the order, twice.

Is Waffle house something more popular down south? I've seen tons of Sonic's around here, never seen a WH though.

Waffle house is mostly in the south, and is primarily a breakfast diner - none seem to seat more than about 60 people, about 40-50 at tables and booths, mostly in fours, and then 6-10 at the counter. They do some burgers, sandwiches, and a few other things, but despite the name, the signature dish is hash-browns, with a choice of about ten different "toppings" - cheese, onions ("smothered and covered" is WH code for "smothered in onions and covered with cheese"), peppers, mushrooms, chilli, etc.

Cracker Barrel is a "Southern theme restaurant" - basic "home cooking" including such southern staples as "chicken fried steak", cat fish, meatloaf, green beans, and turnip greens. They also do good breakfasts that are too far removed from a British "farm house breakfast, but you can't get sausages, though fried steak or chicken is on the menu. ..... When we lived in Valhalla we used to scoot up to Fishkill for breakfast sometimes on a weekend. :)

moneypenny20 Oct 10th 2016 8:58 am

And wtf is whipped butter all about? :sick:

joto Oct 10th 2016 9:04 am

There's a Waffle House a few miles away, but have never been to it. I might give it a go, if it's not closed because of an earthquake. :eek:

SultanOfSwing Oct 10th 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12073081)
When we lived in Valhalla ...

That's a great town name :D

I'd not be able to live there without putting Immigrant Song on every time I pulled into my driveway. I just couldn't not do that.

sir_eccles Oct 10th 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12073093)
That's a great town name :D

I'd not be able to live there without putting Immigrant Song on every time I pulled into my driveway. I just couldn't not do that.

Viking Kittens | Flash Videos

livinginnyc Oct 10th 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12073081)
we used to scoot up to Fishkill for breakfast

Fishkill NY? I thought Waffle House might be a southern thing. I'm also yet to see a checkers or pop eyes.

On the subject of quick'n'easy food - I do like Friendly's and their waffle fries.

The Cheesecake factory do a good chicken pesto Ciabatta too... Though last time we went, we took my MIL and they royally screwed up a cheeseburger (as in forgot to put the bun on top, it was ice cold and left the side of fries).

SultanOfSwing Oct 10th 2016 9:20 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12073098)

I had a feeling that was going to be a rathergood.com thing before I clicked on it :D

livinginnyc Oct 10th 2016 9:35 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12073102)
I had a feeling that was going to be a rathergood.com thing before I clicked on it :D

On AlbinoBlackSheep.com! I haven't seen that site since I was a teenager!!!! Today has been a nostalgic one for sure for me on BE! (especially as I found an old flash game on it I used to play).

All I need now is to find my old Geocities website full of teen angst and it will be like It's 2003 again.

SultanOfSwing Oct 10th 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12073111)
On AlbinoBlackSheep.com! I haven't seen that site since I was a teenager!!!! Today has been a nostalgic one for sure for me on BE! (especially as I found an old flash game on it I used to play).

All I need now is to find my old Geocities website full of teen angst and it will be like It's 2003 again.

Watch this video, then listen to The Darkness and it'll be so 2003 you won't know what to do with yourself:

Pulaski Oct 10th 2016 9:47 am

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12073100)
Fishkill NY? I thought Waffle House might be a southern thing. ....

It's Cracker Barrel that is in Fishkill, and Cracker Barrel has, IMO, a more stereotypically Southern menu than Waffle House.

Cracker Barrels are more widespread and have turned themselves into a de facto interstate service station chain across much of the US - almost all are at interstate junctions. It's not only a restaurant, they have a shop selling sweets, DVDs, talking books, toys, and all manner of nick-nacks.

livinginnyc Oct 10th 2016 9:49 am

That is a video I've not seen for ages too. Seems like a prophecy now rather than comedy.

Papa Roach, Sum 41, My Chemical Romance.... It's all coming flooding in now. Dear God.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12073118)
It's Cracker Barrel that is in Fishkill, and Cracker Barrel has, IMO, a more stereotypically Southern menu than Waffle House.

How long ago did you go to the Fishkill one? That town isn't *too* far from where I am, next time I'm in the area I'll go see if it's open, so I can check out what Cracker Barrel is all about.

SultanOfSwing Oct 10th 2016 9:59 am

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12073120)
That is a video I've not seen for ages too. Seems like a prophecy now rather than comedy.

Even if we're all ****ed, we can at least still laugh about it ...

Papa Roach, Sum 41, My Chemical Romance.... It's all coming flooding in now. Dear God.

I didn't listen to any of them :lol:

Pulaski Oct 10th 2016 10:25 am

..... How long ago did you go to the Fishkill one? That town isn't *too* far from where I am, next time I'm in the area I'll go see if it's open, so I can check out what Cracker Barrel is all about.

Probably June, 2002, certainly no later than that, because we left NY at the end of June, and I checked, it is still there. :nod:

If you don't make it to Fishkill you'll find Cracker Barrels on the interstates in all directions. I think there is one up I95 in CT, and you can't travel far west or south of New York before you'll find one.

zzrmark Oct 10th 2016 10:31 am

How long ago did you go to the Fishkill one? That town isn't *too* far from where I am, next time I'm in the area I'll go see if it's open, so I can check out what Cracker Barrel is all about.

Just avoid the dumplings which can be best described as large globs of warmed up snot :sick:

Pulaski Oct 10th 2016 10:40 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12073149)
Just avoid the dumplings which can be best described as large globs of warmed up snot. .....

I'd say they're like "thick, overcooked, ribbon noodles", but I agree, they aren't pleasant. :(

morpeth Oct 10th 2016 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12073154)
I'd say they're like "thick, overcooked, ribbon noodles", but I agree, they aren't pleasant. :(

Living in Midwest see biscuits and gravy everywhere, and any time I tried almost vomited. There is a chain in the south , forget the name ( Biscuit Factory ?) and had their biscuits and gravy- one of the best dishes I have every had in America.

Cracker Barrel near here has an "old times" store with products I have seen in years, food isn't anything special but actually great place to buy unique smaller Christmas presents for kids.

Nutmegger Oct 10th 2016 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12073143)
If you don't make it to Fishkill you'll find Cracker Barrels on the interstates in all directions. I think there is one up I95 in CT, and you can't travel far west or south of New York before you'll find one.

Yup, I95 in Milford. Succeeded in avoiding it for decades!

Rete Oct 10th 2016 11:25 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12073149)
Just avoid the dumplings which can be best described as large globs of warmed up snot :sick:

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12073154)

Yuppers. The first time I stopped at one on the way from NYC to Mississippi I had to try the chicken and dumplings. My mother would be turning over in her grave if I had made them and had the gall to call them dumplings. Second and last time I was there, I had a salad.