Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Um, are you for real? A man gets drunk and starts being violent with a woman - that is felony assault, by the way - and gets removed from the situation (because of the felony assault!), and you don't think that is a de-escalation?

The victim in that situation was YOU - NOT your ex. The perpetrator was YOUR EX - NOT the police.

PS - Somehow I doubt your ex, after a night of boozing and beating, was as gentle and mild-mannered with the police as you are trying to make it sound.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is exactly why many people claim to own a gun, .... and so the circle of this thread appears to be complete.
Not quite - they don't show up late because the homeowner has a gun.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:54 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it often is - you won't get hired as a cop in Charlotte NC without a bachelor's degree, and a few years ago when they brought in a police chief who hadn't complete his degree he had to go back to get enough additional credits to get his degree. .... I believe a degree is also required to be hired as a cop in the town nearest to Pulaski Manor.

Otherwise your posts are irrational bordering on paranoid, and not worthy of a detailed response.
The minimum requirement is usually a high school diploma, although an increasing number of police departments require applicants to complete at least one or two years of college coursework or have an associate's degree. A bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement for federal police job
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 3:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
.... The minimum requirement is usually a high school diploma, although an increasing number of police departments require applicants to complete at least one or two years of college coursework or have an associate's degree. A bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement for federal police job.
Did you read my post? Can you even read? ...... Charlotte NC requires recruits to have a bachelor's degree and has done for at least the past 6-7 years. I find it very hard to believe that Charlotte is unique in that regard, especially as the local police department nearest to me also requires recruits to have a bachelor's degree.

BTW posting in red doesn't make your posts more credible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 23rd 2017 at 3:16 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 3:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Um, are you for real? A man gets drunk and starts being violent with a woman - that is felony assault, by the way - and gets removed from the situation (because of the felony assault!), and you don't think that is a de-escalation?

The victim in that situation was YOU - NOT your ex. The perpetrator was YOUR EX - NOT the police.

PS - Somehow I doubt your ex, after a night of boozing and beating, was as gentle and mild-mannered with the police as you are trying to make it sound.
I can't help but wonder why Moi called the police, and what she expected them to do with/to her Ex? .... Give him a stern talking-to? Give him a strong cup of tea and tell him to shape up? Maybe he had been mean enough to deserve a summary spanking?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 23rd 2017 at 3:16 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:25 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
If you don't think something is wrong with the way US police are trained then I can't help you.

This culture we have that leads to many innocent people being shot by the people who are supposed to be protecting them, it's just wrong. And then the mentality afterward, to just accept it because cops deal with bad people, or circle the wagons, is also just plain wrong. That is advocating never changing anything, never getting better, and never correcting problems; and that works until they shoot someone you know.

I never gave calling 999 a second thought in the UK if I needed to. Here, unless my life is in danger, I'm never calling 911. And I'm a White, professional, less-than-middle-aged family man, living in the suburbs.

And for those defending the training as if it's like a UK officer's training - you realize the US has no national standard, that I'm aware of, for police training. It can vary greatly.

This was interesting, from a purported ex US cop: https://www.quora.com/How-do-UK-poli...e-to-US-police

It's a different type of training for a different environment.
Absolutely silly ( my highlight). Somebody kidnaps your child while playing outside. No 911 call ? You did say of course that you would only call if your life was in danger right?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Absolutely silly ( my highlight). Somebody kidnaps your child while playing outside. No 911 call ? You did say of course that you would only call if your life was in danger right?
Of course you're being silly - I'll round up a posse, strap on some six shooters, and mount up.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:56 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Of course you're being silly - I'll round up a posse, strap on some six shooters, and mount up.
Well try not to shoot yourself in the foot as you attempt to mount up.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read my post? Can you even read? ...... Charlotte NC requires recruits to have a bachelor's degree and has done for at least the past 6-7 years. I find it very hard to believe that Charlotte is unique in that regard, especially as the local police department nearest to me also requires recruits to have a bachelor's degree.

BTW posting in red doesn't make your posts more credible.
As does The Sheriffs Office and metro PD where I live. Arguing the toss with ill-informed, but self-righteous keyboard warriors is a thankless task.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I got curious and checked San Diego Police website and it appears they dont require a college degree.

Sheriffs department also does not require a college degree.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:29 pm
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Yet you confidently state that "They are trained to shoot first and ask questions later".

Your statement is not true. They are trained to be wary and vigilant. Dropping their guard is what gets them killed. Since my daughter has been a sworn deputy, we have attended 4 funerals of fellow officers, who were either less than vigilant, or who gave a criminal the benefit of the doubt and paid for it with their lives.

At the time we moved to the US, my daughter was at the Met Training College in Hendon. She was being coached in a very similar way - the only difference being that Met cops are far less likely to be shot to death and their defensive tactics were consequently more focused on bodily assault.

Your comments are very misinformed - and it may be that you just have an inherent dislike of law enforcement - you are by no means unique, if that is the case. Not liking cops is not quite the same as making up bullshit about cops.

By all means, state your opinion - but let's just keep it an opinion.

All of the other ridiculous, bigoted stuff you have written in this thread does give the reader a somewhat unattractive insight about you.
I don't have a dislike of law enforcement I have never actually had cause to interact with them ever in my life apart from at passport control. I don't envy your daughter her job but I just can't imagine the the met police killing this woman with taser or blow to the head from a nightstick or even striking her with a nightstick or using pepper spray when she was in her pj's carrying a cellphone and trying to report a crime

Last edited by albanks2542; Jul 23rd 2017 at 4:35 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:34 pm
Banned

Maybe BLM should concern itself more with the death rate amongst blacks in Chicago.

No... not white cops shooting black folks but black folks shooting black folks. 2,000 deaths this year alone in that city
2000 shootings not deaths. They are not all dead if chicago had 2000 murders so far this far it would be martial law in the city. Death toll is about 450 on a par with the same time last year.

Last edited by albanks2542; Jul 23rd 2017 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by albanks2542
2000 shootings not deaths. They are not all dead if chicago had 2000 murders so far this far it would be martial law in the city. Death toll is about 450 on a par with the same time last year.
Not what the CNN News said. 2,000 deaths since January this year. There should be martial law in place already
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by albanks2542
I don't have a dislike of law enforcement I have never actually had cause to interact with them ever in my life apart from at passport control. I don't envy your daughter her job but I just can't imagine the the met police killing this woman with taser or blow to the head from a nightstick or even striking her with a nightstick or using pepper spray when she was in her pj's carrying a cellphone and trying to report a crime
I didn't know cops here carried nightsticks anymore.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:48 pm
Banned

Not what the CNN News said. 2,000 deaths since January this year. There should be martial law in place already
CNN is way off base and my figures are high also. Crime figures of Chicago Police from their website to July 16th 369 murders 1557 shootings. Murders up 5% on last year at the same time year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.