Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Wikiposts

Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Old Jul 26th 2017, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do the police keep shooting people dead?

Originally Posted by albanks2542
That is not true every officer draws their weapon all the time maybe many do not fire it. I just have been recently watching these police women of name the city shows they filmed over the years. They all had their guns out numerous times on traffic stops, arrests, pursuits, etc etc. Never saw on a fly on the wall cop documentary were the officer didn't draw the weapon.

I would like to know where that info comes from and if it is true what makes the 90% not draw their weapon during their duties when the other 10% do yet they do the same job?

Again what you have written is totally false. I also find it ludicrous you are basing the "reality" of police life on a made-for-TV show.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

One time when the Police came round my house they had their weapons drawn. It may have been because I mentioned the fact that someone was shooting into our yard. It turned out that the neighbor kids were shooting BB guns towards our house/yard.

The two times I have been stopped on the road, neither time did the cop draw their weapon.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That is not true every officer draws their weapon all the time maybe many do not fire it. I just have been recently watching these police women of name the city shows they filmed over the years. They all had their guns out numerous times on traffic stops, arrests, pursuits, etc etc. Never saw on a fly on the wall cop documentary were the officer didn't draw the weapon.
COPS is not a real documentary, you know.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:14 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know where that info comes from and if it is true what makes the 90% not draw their weapon during their duties when the other 10% do yet they do the same job?
A recent rookie graduate from the Los Angeles Police Academy was on her first or second patrol when she was killed in a shooting incident. On the other hand there are cops who have dealt with all kinds of situations where it wasn't necessary to draw a weapon. I think they're trained to assess the situation at hand. From what I've heard drawing a weapon on duty requires the filling out of a report afterwards detailing the reason why they had to draw it and also an interview with a supervisor. It's not all Tombstone or Dodge City.

Last edited by dc koop; Jul 26th 2017 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
From what I've heard drawing a weapon on duty requires the filling out of a report afterwards detailing the reason why they had to draw it and also an interview with a supervisor. It's not all Tombstone or Dodge City.
That is certainly the case in my daughter's agency. In fact they are required to document ANY use of force measure. She trains deputies on firearms use - her mantra being, only unholster your side arm if you fully intend to use it.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:50 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Must have been doing it for one of those TV shows. Possibly not real cops either
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It appears that a lot of Police Departments will take military service in lieu of a degree.
The local requirement is a degree or
2 years of U.S. Military active duty service or 4 years reserve service under honorable conditions.
or
2 years of continuous service and currently working as a:
Law enforcement officer exercising police powers for a recognized federal, state, county, or city (municipal) agency.
State or federal certified parole or probation officer.
State or federal certified corrections officer.

Going from an active war zone to a Police officer is not good. Very different jobs.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago, my RV broke down on the interstate. While waiting for a tow truck, I took my 110lb Siberian Husky out for a pee. Just then, a state trooper pulled up and got out of his car.
As he approached us, the dog made a move toward him and he reached for his gun
I had the dog on a short leash so he didn't get far. I reassured the cop that he was friendly and he relaxed (a bit) but still kept his distance.
Now, I know my dog is friendly, but a cop doesn't. I would probably have reacted the same in his shoes.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Be careful who your neighbors are.

A Mississippi Man Is Fatally Shot After Southaven Police Serve A Warrant On The Wrong House - Ear Hustle 411
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In a violent society, coips have guns and use them. I think I prefer the British system.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Be careful who your neighbors are.
Do you deliberately troll the Internet for shit? Not only is the article poorly written, you can't seriously believe anything written by someone whose name is SunShyne.

Seriously, are you that stupid and are you that desperate to make a point?

Ian
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do you deliberately troll the Internet for shit? Not only is the article poorly written, you can't seriously believe anything written by someone whose name is SunShyne.

Seriously, are you that stupid and are you that desperate to make a point? ....
It seems improbable that a journalism heavy-weight like Ear Hustle would mis-report or over-blow a story.
Originally Posted by scot47
In a violent society, cops have guns and use them. I think I prefer the British system.
You mean where the bad guys have better access to firearms that most of the police?
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Seriously, are you that stupid and are you that desperate to make a point?

Ian
It's from MSN news on my tablet. It's the default news app.

Here is the USA Today version if you want more ads

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...unt/515592001/

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 27th 2017 at 7:52 am.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:34 am
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dc koop
A recent rookie graduate from the Los Angeles Police Academy was on her first or second patrol when she was killed in a shooting incident. On the other hand there are cops who have dealt with all kinds of situations where it wasn't necessary to draw a weapon. I think they're trained to assess the situation at hand. From what I've heard drawing a weapon on duty requires the filling out of a report afterwards detailing the reason why they had to draw it and also an interview with a supervisor. It's not all Tombstone or Dodge City.
The LAPD leads the way for shootings doesn't it. I remember reading about so called LAPD Death Squad of the late 1990s killing them bank robbers and I remember Rodney King and that shooting Johnny Cochrane was working when he got the OJ Simpson case and the 2 teens have been ruled as justified haven't they.

Last edited by albanks2542; Jul 27th 2017 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
A few years ago, my RV broke down on the interstate. While waiting for a tow truck, I took my 110lb Siberian Husky out for a pee. Just then, a state trooper pulled up and got out of his car.
As he approached us, the dog made a move toward him and he reached for his gun
I had the dog on a short leash so he didn't get far. I reassured the cop that he was friendly and he relaxed (a bit) but still kept his distance.
Now, I know my dog is friendly, but a cop doesn't. I would probably have reacted the same in his shoes.
How apalling that he would shoot a dog just for making a move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.