Where is the anger?

Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:34 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the anger?

Originally Posted by droidguy72
I earn over $150k; my wife does not. We'd have been eligible for something if we were USCs/GCs who filed as married. The same goes for the child tax credits. We don't receive the extended child tax credits because my kids are not SSN eligible until they have GCs. They have ITINs, but that is not sufficient. Anyway, missing out on government handouts is not the point of the post, the point is the inconsistency and irrationality in how the current administration, namely President Biden, has approached COVID policies, particularly with immigrants.
The $150k AGI is for married… and it’s $75k if filling single.. so by either metric it sounds like you don’t qualify.

The current administration has basically continued the policies of the previous administration, keeping EO’s and restrictions in places for visa holders, aside for making NIE’s multiple entry, not sure what’s inconsistent ?
Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
The $150k AGI is for married… and it’s $75k if filling single.. so by either metric it sounds like you don’t qualify.

The current administration has basically continued the policies of the previous administration, keeping EO’s and restrictions in places for visa holders, aside for making NIE’s multiple entry, not sure what’s inconsistent ?
Wrong and wrong.

Extended child tax credits phase out over $150k AGI, they do not stop. See: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductio...yments-in-2021

Biden introduced a travel ban, he did not continue anything from Trump. See: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...virus-disease/
Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I think no one should be flying for leisure or family reunions at the moment. There are too many unknowns. Also, several European countries have now reintroduced travel bans.

Covid restrictions started the day I was going to fly with my granddaughter to the UK in 2020. She was going to meet her great grand-dad for his 84th birthday for 1st time, but she wouldn't have seen him even if we had flown out that day as they had already lock-down seniors citizens by then. So I decided pre-emptively that I had to forego the trip. Covid was getting out of hand even by then. My Dad died in Oct 2020. Am I sad I never got to see him again? Yes! But I accepted a long time ago that I wouldn't get there if anything happened to them or the rest of the family. So Covid was just another wrinkle. Next week, my eldest niece is getting married, I had hoped to be there, but it was not to be. I could travel as I am a US citizen. I decided that there were too many unknowns about the vaccine effectiveness and the continued evolution of Covid to risk travelling that distance.
I remember when I came to the USA in 1988 (for a brief nine months), and there was no way to be instantly in touch with your family in the UK other than a long-distance phone call that was too expensive to do too often. So airmail was the only way to keep in regular contact. So imagine if a pandemic had come along at that time. But then, people would have understood the urgency of the situation and rallied around. If a vaccine had come along in record time, as this one did, people would have queued up at the door 24 hrs of the day—none of this vaccine hesitancy.

I am sorry your family hasn't got to each for nearly two years. Moving to another country involves many sacrifices, as you have found out. Just think of how lucky you are to have your immediate family (sons/daughters/wife) with you. You still have so many ways of keeping in touch with your UK family through technology that wasn't even available a few years back. I am sure there are plenty of refugees that would love to be in that situation.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Biden introduced a travel ban, he did not continue anything from Trump. See: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...virus-disease/
It was Trump that introduced the ban on entry from the UK, back in March 2020 (https://www.fragomen.com/insights/alerts/president-trump-adds-ireland-and-united-kingdom-covid-19-travel-ban-effective-1159-pm-edt-monday-march-16)

Biden extended it in January 2021. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ronavirus.html

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 10th 2021 at 8:57 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in several British expat groups and I feel like I am in the minority with my frustrations over Biden's travel ban.
we feel the frustration also, its not just Biden, its the current /previous admin policy.
we feel it for similar reasons, 2 dead relatives recently, unable to visit since at least 2yrs (last time in uk), new child in u.s, all un abled to visit grandparents, one of who has terminal sickness (albeit slow moving) a hug would be nice, right!. We are L1's, marooned unless you take a one way ticket , like majority of 'non residents'.

on the flip side, I personally believe that the best global policy is not to travel, if 1 can travel, thousands will and that will probably be a catalyst for the virus.
However, I am fully agreeing it is totally biased and corrupt they let citizens go and come as they please, they should be stopped also, the thought of one U.S citizen going to the U.K and killing one of my family is not a good one.

Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:01 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong and wrong.

Extended child tax credits phase out over $150k AGI, they do not stop. See: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductio...yments-in-2021

The original EO for China and then Iran etc was extended to EU, UK etc in mid March 2020, if not your not being being able to travel for 2 years would not be accurate, Biden admin only started on Jan 20th this year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51891662

There were different levels of phase out for each, did not really look at the details, if your total AGI was less than $200k you may have seen something:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ks-11615303520

Last edited by tht; Sep 10th 2021 at 9:07 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

droidguy72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's mostly right, but there's a key point to make here: Trump briefly lifted the ban on travel from the UK before leaving office, and Biden reinstated it. Biden did not extend or continue this ban. It was his very own presidential proclamation. I think it's important to state this because even though I agreed with the ban in January, I am now seeing the defence of "ah well it was Trump's thing anyway".
Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:15 pm
tht

That's mostly right, but there's a key point to make here: Trump briefly lifted the ban on travel from the UK before leaving office, and Biden reinstated it. Biden did not extend or continue this ban. It was his very own presidential proclamation. I think it's important to state this because even though I agreed with the ban in January, I am now seeing the defence of "ah well it was Trump's thing anyway".
thats all kind of semantics, and likely due to how the EO process works.

I don’t know if Trump lifted the ban at all, if he did it was the wrong thing to do.

It is not a defence, it is the presidents job to protect USC, whoever he/she/they are.

Trump should have put in place a more extensive travel ban sooner, and then put in place a system of enforced quarantine/testing for anyone who really did need to travel (at their own/employers cost, not the tax payer) look at places like NZ and the infections and deaths per capita there compared to the US…

Last edited by tht; Sep 10th 2021 at 9:20 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2021, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Really struggling to feel indignant when thousands of people are still dying everyday of COVID....
hate comments like this when people are simply missing their loved ones. For every bad situation, we can all give examples of a worse case scenario....

Last edited by karenkaren1; Sep 10th 2021 at 9:38 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
new child in u.s
As a parent of a US citizen, you can come and go as you please, just like US citizens and LPRs. You're not subject to the travel ban. However, any non-US citizen kids that you might have still are, I think.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
hate comments like this when people are simply missing their loved ones. For every bad situation, we can all give examples of a worse case scenario....
Of course but this thread is literally titled where is the anger.

Unfortunately it simply is what it is, covid is by no means over so travel restrictions are 100% necessary. When you moved to the US surely you were aware of the potentially finite nature if your visa (ie you don't have the same rights as a citizen).

I sympathize but many 100s of thousands are in very similar position, and many are in a far worse covid related situation Pointing the finger in search of something/ soneone to blame makes very little difference.

Old Sep 12th 2021, 1:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
They asked where the anger is. I answered. Your problem is what, exactly?

The world has been at Phase 6 for over a year. Until it lessens, I have no sympathy for people complaining about travel.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 1:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Of course but this thread is literally titled where is the anger.

Unfortunately it simply is what it is, covid is by no means over so travel restrictions are 100% necessary. When you moved to the US surely you were aware of the potentially finite nature if your visa (ie you don't have the same rights as a citizen).

I sympathize but many 100s of thousands are in very similar position, and many are in a far worse covid related situation Pointing the finger in search of something/ soneone to blame makes very little difference.
I totally agree with this. Just to take it further, when I moved to the US I was very much aware that the ability to fly back & forth at will, for a reasonable price, was not something that could be taken for granted long term. War, economic collapse, hyperinflation, political instability - any number of unwelcome developments could mean that, at any time, we could be prevented from long distance travel in the foreseeable future. I guess pandemic was always one of the more likely of the disasters hanging over our heads.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not see the connection between your immigration status and Covid.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 4:52 pm
Banned

johnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond reputejohnbrown1938 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
They asked where the anger is. I answered. Your problem is what, exactly?

The world has been at Phase 6 for over a year. Until it lessens, I have no sympathy for people complaining about travel.
The anger is in the UK among your families who cannot visit you and may never be able to visit you again. I think Biden will keep the ban forever against the UK. But hey I got my money back so I am not really that bothered.

Phase 6? What does that mean. I thought Marvel was in phase 4?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.