Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What's your secret tv show obsession?

What's your secret tv show obsession?

Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your secret tv show obsession?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
OMG ... Man In The High Castle is quite the treat! I'm midway through Season 3 now, watching 2-3 shows a night. It must be a wet dream for all the neo-Nazi's out there - uniforms, symbols, images of Berlin 'how it would have been', New York with dirty-great big Nazi symbols all over ... then we have Mengele and his experiments, Edgar Hoover as head of the 'FBI' for the American Reich... It's interesting that the "American Resistance' is portrayed very poorly, and you get to feel sympathy for the main Nazi family (Smith). Definitely worth plowing through the first season, which can be a bit slow at times.
Yes, I love the way that actual historical figures are worked in -- it was nice to get to see Lincoln Rockwell meet his demise! I agree that it really got going after season one; I've finished season three now and hate that I've got to wait a year for the next one . . .
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, I love the way that actual historical figures are worked in -- it was nice to get to see Lincoln Rockwell meet his demise! I agree that it really got going after season one; I've finished season three now and hate that I've got to wait a year for the next one . . .
I'm reminded of the thread somewhere here on BE where they were discussing the fact that Germany has banned Nazi symbolism. I wonder if they watch this show there !
Old Nov 14th 2018, 10:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reminded of the thread somewhere here on BE where they were discussing the fact that Germany has banned Nazi symbolism. I wonder if they watch this show there !
It is on Amazon in Germany. Symbols are allowed in art as long as not propoganda, so I have been told by someone random on Reddit who claims to be German.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 10:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I try to watch "This is Us" every week, along with a new show I like called "A Million Little Things".

Rene
Old Dec 31st 2018, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm perhaps the last person alive on the planet to watch Breaking Bad! Finally started a week or so ago, and am now hooked - watching 2-3 episodes a night, currently wrapping up Season 2. Oh boy! What a show! The acting is great, the story is well-constructed, and just about everything is 'perfect'. My only complaint is that it is almost relentlessly 'dark';
Spoiler:
we have Walt's terminal illness, Meth-heads everywhere, drug dealers, etc. At first, Hank and Marie were comic relief but even they are getting darker now, with Marie's kleptomania and Hank's trauma from the Mexican turtle incident!

I go to bed each night after my 3-show binge feeling just a touch depressed! But still - it's great to watch an extremely well-constructed show. The acting is great across the board, but Jesse seems to be better than all of them - very realistic as a crazy mixed up kid!
Old Jan 1st 2019, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm perhaps the last person alive on the planet to watch Breaking Bad! Finally started a week or so ago, and am now hooked - watching 2-3 episodes a night, currently wrapping up Season 2. Oh boy! What a show! The acting is great, the story is well-constructed, and just about everything is 'perfect'. My only complaint is that it is almost relentlessly 'dark';
Spoiler:
we have Walt's terminal illness, Meth-heads everywhere, drug dealers, etc. At first, Hank and Marie were comic relief but even they are getting darker now, with Marie's kleptomania and Hank's trauma from the Mexican turtle incident!

I go to bed each night after my 3-show binge feeling just a touch depressed! But still - it's great to watch an extremely well-constructed show. The acting is great across the board, but Jesse seems to be better than all of them - very realistic as a crazy mixed up kid!
Once you finish Breaking Bad watch Better Call Saul its excellent too.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 3:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Once you finish Breaking Bad watch Better Call Saul its excellent too.
Better Call Saul is almost better, I think. Both are great shows though.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Better Call Saul is almost better, I think. Both are great shows though.
Oh boy - I just wrapped up season 2 ...
Spoiler:
Jesse is now a heroin addict and his girlfriend died of an overdose; major downers!
I'm so incredibly impressed by Jesse's acting, and the writing for his role. Saul has just been introduced in the last few episodes; it's hard to see how he could spin off into his own show, but - I will keep an open mind!
Spoiler:
I do have to keep suspending disbelief that Walt would take such massive risks, especially when his former partner(s) offered to pay for everything, but once you get over that, the 'architecture' of the show is fantastic. Virtually every person who enters a scene has a contribution, even the minor roles like Walt Jr, Carmen, Skinny Pete, etc.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

I loved Breaking Bad! I used to binge-watch it and knit when I had assignments that needed doing. When I look back at my third year of university, all I remember is a really bad scarf, Breaking Bad, Making a Murderer, and 146541 seasons of Forensic Files. I still love Forensic Files.

My favourite TV show of all time is Six Feet Under. I feel like it went drastically underrated, or maybe social media was just less of a thing in the early 2000s so we shared our opinions less. If you enjoy a bit of dark humour, fantastic acting (I truly felt like I grieved for the main characters once they were off my screen - how sad!), Alan Ball's writing (think American Beauty), and something that will move you in every episode, it's worth the purchase of the DVDs, I reckon. A phenomenal show.

Last edited by KK85; Jan 3rd 2019 at 1:00 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 1:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I binged watched Breaking Bad abiut 6 years ago...brilliant.

Couldn’t get into the spin off Better Call Saul.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 7:33 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

"Rake" on Netflix has had me laughing out loud recently.
Old Jan 3rd 2019, 2:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boy - I just wrapped up season 2 ...
Spoiler:
Jesse is now a heroin addict and his girlfriend died of an overdose; major downers!
I'm so incredibly impressed by Jesse's acting, and the writing for his role. Saul has just been introduced in the last few episodes; it's hard to see how he could spin off into his own show, but - I will keep an open mind!
Spoiler:
I do have to keep suspending disbelief that Walt would take such massive risks, especially when his former partner(s) offered to pay for everything, but once you get over that, the 'architecture' of the show is fantastic. Virtually every person who enters a scene has a contribution, even the minor roles like Walt Jr, Carmen, Skinny Pete, etc.
It keeps getting better from there. Season 2 was a particularly good one, and Jesse is great as a kind of anti-hero throughout the series as well. Vince Gilligan needs to write and produce every TV show from now on, IMO.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I binged watched Breaking Bad abiut 6 years ago...brilliant.

Couldn’t get into the spin off Better Call Saul.
Better Call Saul is a much slower burn than Breaking Bad so it can be harder to get into. If you can make it through the slower parts it is worth it but it is a completely different feel.

Michael McKean deserves all the awards for his performances as Chuck though. Hard to imagine that's David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap when you watch him
Old Jan 5th 2019, 4:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has got me watching Life Below Zero on Netflix. Pretty entertaining.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2019, 5:00 am

Recently finished binge - watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime. Soooo funny and well done! Highly recommend it!

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Recently finished binge - watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime. Soooo funny and well done! Highly recommend it!

Rene
Comcast in CA now integrate Prime (as well as Netflix) into their service. You still have to have a subscription (netflix and/or Prime) but you can pull up your shows through the comcast interface. Not a big deal for those already comfortable with streaming services, but for my g/f, for example, who won't deal with streaming services as such, the fact she can watch 'my' netflix and prime shows is a plus. In AZ, I can watch Netflix shows through the Cox service, but not Amazon Prime shows. All you need to do is say 'netflix' into the voice remote and the Netflix interface comes up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.