Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:20 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was the biggest culture shock when you moved to the USA?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is correct. That is not correct.

The rest of your post is a mix of overstatement, oversimplification, and things which aren't true yet, but might be in the future.
Sorry you dont like it, with one exception it was researched properly from my company info, tata own daewoo in korea not hyundai, which if i'd thought about the other things hyundai do should have made me think more about it when i read it.

Which parts arent true from your investigation, i'm interested?

I worked for some years for the lucas car components co, inan area that looked at expected demands for parts by country. As lucas owns many pretty much global patents though often lapsed eg almost all brakes made are based on girling or lockheed designs and who uses or makes what components is comercially important in the replacement marketplace. Keeping up with who owned whome was also of course important. Read the news for tatas current activities, caution: most of the wikis arent up to date.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Sorry you dont like it, with one exception it was researched properly from my company info, tata own daewoo in korea not hyundai, which if i'd thought about the other things hyundai do should have made me think more about it when i read it.

Which parts arent true from your investigation, i'm interested? .....
Well given that your post wasn't even consistent with the link that you posted I decided that investing further time to debunk your post was a waste of my time. Suffice to say that Tata is, in common with many other manufacturers, adding manufacturing capacity to serve the most populous country in the world largely because of punitive import duties imposed by China on vehicles.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 11:14 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Mines got air suspension on it. I can lower it when the rare occasion arises these days when I need something else bigger.
TMI
Old Dec 28th 2016, 11:31 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Which parts arent true from your investigation, i'm interested?

I worked for some years for the lucas car components co, inan area that looked at expected demands for parts by country. As lucas owns many pretty much global patents though often lapsed eg almost all brakes made are based on girling or lockheed designs and who uses or makes what components is comercially important in the replacement marketplace. Keeping up with who owned whome was also of course important. Read the news for tatas current activities, caution: most of the wikis arent up to date.
Known by many old bikers like me as Lucas the prince of darkness.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:29 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I could tell you stories... I was once sent to lagos [one of the many armpits of africa] to figure out why their alternators ate 900% more o rings than expected. It was because the o rings cost less than specific tap washers and fitted taps... Re the darkness, they have a vast global packing centre near aylesbury. Their miles of warehouses accumulated anonymous cses that were occasionally unearthed and had t obe opened and audited. One year i found - 12 cases marked landrover parts for egypt that contained 3ft dia flywheels, thinking they were a bit big, i enquired about the part nos and found they fitted the engines in chieftain tanks, on which they were rapidly spirited away by someone. The 4 ancient crates that contained REAL king of the road headlamps, the sort fitted to cars in the 1930's and go for a grand each in poor condition as antiques, gave them to beauleau, or the small box of contact breakers marked rotax [lucas aerospce] that i was asked to return to their factory via securicor, made of platinum [refused, once with us we owned them, they could buy them back, sold them to johnson matthey smelters for 12 grand 20 years ago.]

Oh yes - years ago they all went on strike and stopped various factories from being able to make cars. The car factories repplaced lucas with japanese parts and after the strike lucs didnt get all the contracts back... Joke was on the car makers though, the parts were made by nihon lucas in japan...

Last edited by uk_grenada; Dec 29th 2016 at 8:32 am.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Known by many old bikers like me
... and anyone who ever listened to "Car Talk" ...
as Lucas the prince of darkness.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:05 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Sat at many a red light, watching the headlight of my Tiger 90 glow into life every throttle blip and then die away again as the revs drop off.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Nutek
Sat at many a red light, watching the headlight of my Tiger 90 glow into life every throttle blip and then die away again as the revs drop off.
The marvels of a bike maker who didnt want to pay for / rely on a battery - still - it also meant that until the battery actually completely died, you could always get it started. Im pretty sure on some bsa's you could replace the battery with a car capacitor, you didnt get anything unless the engine was running but it was cheap...

Lucas bike electrics were rubbish no doubt, finest i ever had was a laverda jota. Italian engine and frame, british suspension and i think suzuki electrics, japanese definitely. Only issue was it wasnt really run in till it had done 20k miles, but on the other hand i sold it with 60k and it was still pristine, replaced with a silk 700, even more long lasting, 25 years later - stilll rust free and running [all hail to the wd40 god, apply autumn, wash off spring, still shiny shiny...]
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:48 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

silk 700,
Damn... It's been as long time since I heard that.

Beautiful.

I was thrashing around on a GT750 kettle around that time I think.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:56 am

Its of course a scott at heart. I have 3 sets of heads, so i can get all racy in about 20 mins... You can get spare parts quite easily, the scott / silk owners club are the sopranos of bike collectors.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I could tell you stories... I was once sent to lagos [one of the many armpits of africa] to figure out why their alternators ate 900% more o rings than expected. It was because the o rings cost less than specific tap washers and fitted taps... Re the darkness, they have a vast global packing centre near aylesbury. Their miles of warehouses accumulated anonymous cses that were occasionally unearthed and had t obe opened and audited. One year i found - 12 cases marked landrover parts for egypt that contained 3ft dia flywheels, thinking they were a bit big, i enquired about the part nos and found they fitted the engines in chieftain tanks, on which they were rapidly spirited away by someone. The 4 ancient crates that contained REAL king of the road headlamps, the sort fitted to cars in the 1930's and go for a grand each in poor condition as antiques, gave them to beauleau, or the small box of contact breakers marked rotax [lucas aerospce] that i was asked to return to their factory via securicor, made of platinum [refused, once with us we owned them, they could buy them back, sold them to johnson matthey smelters for 12 grand 20 years ago.]

Oh yes - years ago they all went on strike and stopped various factories from being able to make cars. The car factories repplaced lucas with japanese parts and after the strike lucs didnt get all the contracts back... Joke was on the car makers though, the parts were made by nihon lucas in japan...
Was this the one in Buckingham? I used to work next door.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Made country lanes interesting, meant you had to keep the revs/speed up round the bends.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
Was this the one in Buckingham? I used to work next door.
It was in the village of haddenham - windmill rd. You can see its gone now, taken over by other conpanies

Last edited by uk_grenada; Dec 29th 2016 at 4:23 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:45 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

It was in the village of haddenham - windmill rd. You can see its gone now, taken over by other conpanies
My grandmother lived in Haddenham, very close to Windmill Road. Back then I had no interest in Land Rovers or the Prince of Darkness, but I do remember the signs for Lucas, Hozelock and another firm.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree with Tonrob - everything is different, but usually only a little bit. I think it is the superficial similarity of almost everything that makes the universal small differences unsettling - like entering a parallel universe that diverged from the one you are familiar with 240 years ago!

I think the difference that struck me is how quickly it became normal to drive distances that would be considered insane in the UK. The distance to our nearest Walmart is the same as driving from the house where my mother lives in Gloucester all the way to Cheltenham, driving five miles for lunch or thirty miles for dinner has become quite normal - despite the massive difference in the price of petrol, we spend as much on petrol as we did in the UK because we drive 3-4 times as far!

Also, American houses are junk - they need perpetual repairs and maintenance just to keep them working properly and looking good. You will need to either get familiar with household plumbing and electrical work, as well as finish carpentary, painting, and sundry other handyman skills, or expect to be paying an average of a couple of hundred dollars a month on service calls. I enjoy doing DIY projects, and I used to joke that my house wasn't just a home, it's a hobby too. But after almost fourteen years, and with no end in sight to the relentless stream of tasks, the joke is wearing a bit thin.
Are you joking? Please tell me you are ...Our house in Sunbury is a Victorian cottage and I complain it all the time...so we are excited about the future house in US as we expect it is big and good quality ....ok never mind , I will ask hubby to take the tool box then...maybe he can have a second job as handyman there ,lol....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.