Wedding costs

Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding costs

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have been told it's the same here too. Trouble is you're a bit of a pariah if you don't accept. As usual is all about $$$$'s not people or friendship.

I refuse to get involved. Why on earth would I want to attend the wedding of someone I have never even met?

And who actually enjoys weddings? (I mean the big OTT affairs requiring special outfits - hats!! - formal receptions etc.)

And when did it become acceptable to include registry details with the invitation??
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I refuse to get involved. Why on earth would I want to attend the wedding of someone I have never even met?

And who actually enjoys weddings? (I mean the big OTT affairs requiring special outfits - hats!! - formal receptions etc.)

And when did it become acceptable to include registry details with the invitation??

If it's someone we know and like we go...if not we refuse.

I don't particularly enjoy weddings...unless it's someone close to me.

We give according to our relationship to the bride or groom...not to pay for their costs.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
That's how they work in Spain too.. they are a bit of a business though. When you are invited to a wedding you have to make sure that you give enough in cash/present to cover for your meal and some more for the couple.. This means that the more people you invite the more money you get so people tend to invite everybody they know..

Weddings usally pay themselves..
like that in Japan....though usually you just hand over an envelope with the money, but it isn't marked, that way they don't know how much people have given, just as much as they can afford, though it is usually expected to cover the cost of the meal etc...can be a fair whack of money though, people often use it to put a down on aplace...
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

people wear hats?

well the registry thing ain't to bad, especially if they have been together for a while and have most household things...but we haven't gotten registry things, usually have a look to see what sort of things there after though and get something we think they would like that's a bit different.

Don't forget, that a lot of these stores have an after marriage deal where you can buy stuff on your registry for 10% discount...so that's probably why a lot of people do it...that and the freebies
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
people wear hats?

well the registry thing ain't to bad, especially if they have been together for a while and have most household things...but we haven't gotten registry things, usually have a look to see what sort of things there after though and get something we think they would like that's a bit different.

Don't forget, that a lot of these stores have an after marriage deal where you can buy stuff on your registry for 10% discount...so that's probably why a lot of people do it...that and the freebies

It's not the registry I object to - but including the registry details WITH the invitation is ... not acceptable. Or at least that's what my mama told me
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:57 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If I remember correctly in England the bride and groom's friends and family are invited. Here it seems many of the parents' friends are invited too. We have been invited to weddings and we've never even met the bride or groom and haven't seen them since. Seems to be a competition...which family can get the most guests...perhaps it's a popularity contest.
I worked on lots of weddings where the Bride and Groom didn't know a fair few of the guests because they were friends of parents etc.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Chaperone and witness yup ..we could marry them in the pool
And baptism as well.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:59 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

The whole wedding thing here is just another part of the Social climbing that everyone wants to do. Often people will invite co workers or bosses to their childrens weddings. It's also competative, like how some people are with christmas decorations, always keeping up with (or outdoing) the Jones's.

We were married in a small chapel in TN, about 80 guests. My wife and mother in law did the flowers themselves and they were very impressive, we had simple snack food for a short reception. We had to go to New York to get my wife her UK visa so this was our Honeymoon.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:00 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Before we moved here some of my work involved weddings and brides

Not all of the brides appeared to be rolling in it but thay still spent a fortune on their wedding and started planning it sometimes 2 years in advance to be able to have the date and venue they wanted. They obsessed over everything and were often a huge pain to work with, thinking nothing of phoning at 6am or my worst one.....2am on Sunday morning.

The honeymoons were often really expensive and I used to wonder if they really enjoyed them because they were so stressed by the time the wedding happened.
I dealt with them at the beginning of the whole thing and then right at the end. By the day before they were often spotty with all the stress and crying over the slightest thing.

But I miss taking their money

Were you a wedding planner? I've dabbled in event planning - I always enjoyed the end result even though it turned me into a stress head during the process.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:01 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the registry I object to - but including the registry details WITH the invitation is ... not acceptable. Or at least that's what my mama told me
I did some work for a very famous wedding and they put the registry details in with the invitation. The couple are soooooo rich I am amazed they wanted gifts at all. (And I cannot tell you who they are because I had to sign a secrecy agreement and I just know they follow everything that goes on on BE )

Last edited by jumping doris; Nov 16th 2006 at 4:02 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:04 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Were you a wedding planner? I've dabbled in event planning - I always enjoyed the end result even though it turned me into a stress head during the process.
No, I am a calligrapher and I did their invitations,seating plans, guest books etc.
I did lots of other calligraphy commissions, the weddings were just a small part of my day but often the most stressful.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:04 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Before we moved here some of my work involved weddings and brides

Not all of the brides appeared to be rolling in it but thay still spent a fortune on their wedding and started planning it sometimes 2 years in advance to be able to have the date and venue they wanted. They obsessed over everything and were often a huge pain to work with, thinking nothing of phoning at 6am or my worst one.....2am on Sunday morning.

The honeymoons were often really expensive and I used to wonder if they really enjoyed them because they were so stressed by the time the wedding happened.
I dealt with them at the beginning of the whole thing and then right at the end. By the day before they were often spotty with all the stress and crying over the slightest thing.

But I miss taking their money

American women are much more psycho than english girls when it comes to weddings.

I think some part of their brain just switches off....
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:05 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

I did some work for a very famous wedding and they put the registry details in with the invitation. The couple are soooooo rich I am amazed they wanted gifts at all. (And I cannot tell you who they are because I had to sign a secrecy agreement and I just know they follow everything that goes on on BE )
I think the David Beckham posts just after the world cup may have been fake
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:06 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
American women are much more psycho than english girls when it comes to weddings.

I think some part of their brain just switches off....
Which is why, when I can work here it will not be with American brides.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
And baptism as well.
Small extra charge ........of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.