British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Wedding costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wedding-costs-408329/)

Sally Nov 15th 2006 10:00 am

Wedding costs

Just interested in people's views on this.

We know a couple aged about 30, not very well-off, living in rented accommodation and he has no medical insurance. However, they are planning to spend all their savings on a fancy wedding.

I would advise them to use their money towards their future, but am I just being unromantic?

Ray Nov 15th 2006 10:04 am

Re: Wedding costs

Originally Posted by Sally

We know a couple aged about 30, not very well-off, living in rented accommodation and he has no medical insurance. However, they are planning to spend all their savings on a fancy wedding.

I would advise them to use their money towards their future, but am I just being unromantic?

My wedding cost Joycee $188.50 ... in total
a great day ...

Bob Nov 15th 2006 10:11 am

blimey, depends on your priorities, but I'd rather put savings down on a nice pad than on a wedding, they could always renew there vows when there a bit more plush.

I think our wedding was a few grand all in, including me flying over :D

Lord Lionheart Nov 15th 2006 10:16 am

Has he not shagged her yet :confused:

anabella Nov 15th 2006 10:16 am

In the UK people spend on average £18,000. To me it isn't justified to spend that amount of money in a single day..

We just had a very simple wedding at the local register office; just us and 2 witnesses. We meant to have a proper wedding at a later date in Spain but then we felt that we were already married and it wasn't worth it.. I still feel that maybe we should do some kind of celebration for our familes to get together, but I'm not sure what or where.. we'll see..

Lord Lionheart Nov 15th 2006 10:19 am

Originally Posted by anabella
In the UK people spend on average £18,000. To me it isn't justified to spend that amount of money in a single day..

I just had a very simple wedding at the local register office; just us and 2 witnesses. We meant to do a proper wedding at a later date in Spain but then we felt that we were already married and it wasn't worth it.. I still feel that maybe we should do some kind of celebration for our familes to get together, but I'm not sure what or where.. we'll see..

Elina and I aren't married yet. We've only been together 17 years and have 2 kids. I'm just making sure she's right for me first

Ray Nov 15th 2006 10:20 am

Originally Posted by lionheart
Elina and I aren't married yet. We've only been together 17 years and have 2 kids. I'm just making sure she's right for me first

I'll will officiate your wedding for a pittance ...........

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 10:20 am

Originally Posted by anabella

We just had a very simple wedding at the local register office; just us and 2 witnesses. We meant to have a proper wedding at a later date in Spain but then we felt that we were already married and it wasn't worth it.. I still feel that maybe we should do some kind of celebration for our familes to get together, but I'm not sure what or where.. we'll see..

We did the same...7 guests...lunch afterwards...down the pub in the evening. No honeymoon. No regrets.

Sally Nov 15th 2006 10:23 am

Wouldn't it be great to be married by Ray :)

Sally Nov 15th 2006 10:23 am

Originally Posted by lionheart

Best not to rush these things.

Lord Lionheart Nov 15th 2006 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Ray
I'll will officiate your wedding for a pittance ...........

One fat ugly old bastard Englishman is enough for any wedding

anabella Nov 15th 2006 10:24 am

He would make the day fun for sure..

Ray Nov 15th 2006 10:24 am

Far better than being married TO Ray

Irn-bru Nov 15th 2006 10:25 am

no you're not. I don't know why the US seems to put such a big thing on weddings and apparently every girl dreams of her wedding day growing up (I didn't).
I had a nice but small wedding, friends to do the flowers and cake. And our money like most canny Brits went towards the down payment.

Sally Nov 15th 2006 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Far better than being married TO Ray

:scared: