British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Wedding costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wedding-costs-408329/)

gardnma Nov 15th 2006 10:42 am

Re: Wedding costs

Originally Posted by Sally
Just interested in people's views on this.

We know a couple aged about 30, not very well-off, living in rented accommodation and he has no medical insurance. However, they are planning to spend all their savings on a fancy wedding.

I would advise them to use their money towards their future, but am I just being unromantic?

Absolutely.

Maz Nov 15th 2006 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Far better than being married TO Ray

Heh heh... great minds think alike. :p

Yeah they *should* have a small, simple 'do', but this is (hopefully) one of the turning-point most memorable days of their lives. Friend of mine broke off her engagement when much of the wedding had already been paid for, including hiring the city's art gallery for the reception. She said it was better to lose some dosh, than go into the marriage unhappy to begin with, and spend more thousands on divorce after that.

Ours cost about $5,000. Had a harpist play, 'twas very nice. Band (no crappy DJ for us :D ) was one of hubby's friends, so we got a good rate for that.

Sally Nov 15th 2006 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Maz
Heh heh... great minds think alike. :p

Yeah they *should* have a small, simple 'do', but this is (hopefully) one of the turning-point most memorable days of their lives. Friend of mine broke off her engagement when much of the wedding had already been paid for, including hiring the city's art gallery for the reception. She said it was better to lose some dosh, than go into the marriage unhappy to begin with, and spend more thousands on divorce after that.

Ours cost about $5,000. Had a harpist play, 'twas very nice. Band (no crappy DJ for us :D ) was one of hubby's friends, so we got a good rate for that.

$5,000 sounds ok. They are thinking quite a bit higher.

sambuc Nov 15th 2006 1:58 pm

We know a couple aged about 30, not very well-off, living in rented accommodation and he has no medical insurance. However, they are planning to spend all their savings on a fancy wedding.

I would advise them to use their money towards their future, but am I just being unromantic?

Who said a romantic wedding only comes with a high price tag. The wedding ceremony costs relatively little. Its all the stuff that we are brainwashed into thinking we need and should have that costs the earth.

And don't get me even started on wedding planners........... wtf

Sally Nov 15th 2006 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by sambuc
Who said a romantic wedding only comes with a high price tag. The wedding ceremony costs relatively little. Its all the stuff that we are brainwashed into thinking we need and should have that costs the earth.

And don't get me even started on wedding planners........... wtf

That's the problem I think-they have fallen prey to a wedding planner.

snowbunny Nov 15th 2006 3:00 pm

:rolleyes:

Ditch the wedding planner.

So much of the cost comes from trying to please the guests and not the couple. In my view the guests should come because they wish to share the happy day, NOT so that they can have a gourmet dinner and drink themselves shitfaced on someone else's tab.

The prettier the place(s) that are chosen for the wedding/reception the cheaper it is to decorate. Everything else should be done for the bride and groom to remember their day by.

Where I grew up, weddings were held at the (Baptist) church and there was nothing more than the preacher, the congregation, and some flowers. After the wedding there was a reception with wedding cake, non-alcoholic punch, peanuts, and cream mints. THAT WAS IT.

Sally, is the couple in LA? Geez, have the wedding at the Huntingdon gardens, it doesn't get any more beautiful than the rose garden in spring!

Sally Nov 15th 2006 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

In my view the guests should come because they wish to share the happy day,

Sally, is the couple in LA? Geez, have the wedding at the Huntingdon gardens, it doesn't get any more beautiful than the rose garden in sprin!

Yes and yes.

I am going to try and stick my nose in on this one because they really need the money.

Deer Hunter Nov 15th 2006 3:23 pm

Our wedding cost a fair whack but I don't regret a thing about it. We only invited the people that we wanted there and had a 15 min exchange of vows thing and then a huge fancy dress dinner/piss up. I've never been obsessed with having a big white wedding but I'm really glad we did it with all the people we care about around us. :) Then again we could afford it, we wouldn't have gotten into debt trying to pay for the wedding.

BritGuyTN Nov 15th 2006 3:32 pm

I personally think they are retarded.

Ours cost $8-10k whhich I think was very modest in the scheme of things, but nothing was tacky or cheap. we were originally going to split 50/50 but after my future mother in law insisted on inviting 60 people my wife hadn't seen for 15 years I told her that she was going to be picking up my half of the tab....

that worked out quite well for me... (I did pay for the rehearsal dinner and the antique rolls....)

one of my mates psycho wifes forked out $60k of her own money on their 450 person wedding....

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

So much of the cost comes from trying to please the guests and not the couple. In my view the guests should come because they wish to share the happy day, NOT so that they can have a gourmet dinner and drink themselves shitfaced on someone else's tab.

The prettier the place(s) that are chosen for the wedding/reception the cheaper it is to decorate. Everything else should be done for the bride and groom to remember their day by.

Where I grew up, weddings were held at the (Baptist) church and there was nothing more than the preacher, the congregation, and some flowers. After the wedding there was a reception with wedding cake, non-alcoholic punch, peanuts, and cream mints. THAT WAS IT.

Sally, is the couple in LA? Geez, have the wedding at the Huntingdon gardens, it doesn't get any more beautiful than the rose garden in spring!

I am too much of a control freak to ever have anyone organise anything for me. :o

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 3:55 pm

Yes and yes.

I am going to try and stick my nose in on this one because they really need the money.

Cheaper still...small wedding on the beach.

Ray Nov 15th 2006 4:06 pm

They could fly to florida have a weeks honeymoon and get married for a fraction of that

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2006 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
They could fly to florida have a weeks honeymoon and get married for a fraction of that

Pssst....you could push the rental Ray...an all in package.

Sally Nov 15th 2006 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

You do packages don't you?

lol snap

frrussre Nov 15th 2006 4:10 pm

Sad truth, its mostly to impress others.
They should take every dime they have & save it, put down a deposit on their own home or at least invest in the future.
Seem to remember ABC, did a Diane Sawyer show on the fancy wedding deal. Parents were taking 2nd mortgages to pay for (Impress the relatives) weddings. $50 $60 $80k. Bloody stupid, especially when they may well be divorced, few years up the road.
Reg. Frank R.