Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

WalMart Food and Drink

WalMart Food and Drink

Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WalMart Food and Drink

I understand that some companies have low wages and minimal benefits but do some workers get treated badly on purpose, in some manner?
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:49 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Costco were meant to be reasonable as employers. Just random stuff I've heard, nothing to back it up.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that one of the best retailers to work for is Trader Joe's. I do know that even part-timers get health and other benefits and I've never seen an employer with anything less than a positive attitude.

Another store with almost all happy employees is Publix, which I think may have something to do with the fact that all employees get a share of the profits!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I understand that some companies have low wages and minimal benefits but do some workers get treated badly on purpose, in some manner?
More or less yes. Some of these large retailers create a very negative work environment, and many make it known from the start you need them more then they need you and you are replaceable. They see employees as a liability and not any sort of asset to the company.

But if you have an awesome local store manager, that makes a world of difference, but most these days tow corporate banner.

Wal-Mart actually prefers to hire in store whenever possible, but many retailers prefer the opposite. You can actually start in Wal-Mart at a low wage and quickly move into middle store management with just experience, its largest competitor doesn't and prefers recent college grads.

In front line customer service work, generally the lower the wage the more miserable the job and work environment in my experience.

But on the flip side even small employers who people like to claim are better then big evil box stores do the same to their low wage employees, so size of the company doesn't seem to make much difference.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I thought Costco were meant to be reasonable as employers. Just random stuff I've heard, nothing to back it up.
If you have to work retail Costco is the place to do it, they have both above average starting wages, and better perks and last I knew tried to keep their employees happy and retain them for the long term. (Most retailers want the exact opposite.)

Same with In-N-Out burger, if you have to work fast food, they are the place to be. (but they are small chain not found in many places) but their starting pay is above average, and they like to retain employees long term.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hearing Chick-Fil-A is a good place to work. I think they have a scholarship program where if you work a certain amount of hours you get money to go to college.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

So some retailers don't think that happy employees leads to better service? Weird.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Same with In-N-Out burger, if you have to work fast food, they are the place to be. (but they are small chain not found in many places) but their starting pay is above average, and they like to retain employees long term.
Five Guys, is another one that's supposed to be good.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
So some retailers don't think that happy employees leads to better service? Weird.
Short term focus... plus they assume - correctly in many cases - that people will put up with crap service in exchange for lower prices.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
More or less yes. Some of these large retailers create a very negative work environment, and many make it known from the start you need them more then they need you and you are replaceable. They see employees as a liability and not any sort of asset to the company.

But if you have an awesome local store manager, that makes a world of difference, but most these days tow corporate banner.

Wal-Mart actually prefers to hire in store whenever possible, but many retailers prefer the opposite. You can actually start in Wal-Mart at a low wage and quickly move into middle store management with just experience, its largest competitor doesn't and prefers recent college grads.

In front line customer service work, generally the lower the wage the more miserable the job and work environment in my experience.

But on the flip side even small employers who people like to claim are better then big evil box stores do the same to their low wage employees, so size of the company doesn't seem to make much difference.
In my opinion, small retail stores are generally the worst such as independent convenience stores or fast food places. They do whatever they want because lawyers know that the owners probably don't have deep pockets or the owner can transfer assets to his wife or skip town if he losses a lawsuit.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Michael
In my opinion, small retail stores are generally the worst such as independent convenience stores or fast food places. They do whatever they want because lawyers know that the owners probably don't have deep pockets or the owner can transfer assets to his wife or skip town if he losses a lawsuit.
I worked for a small employer in hospitality in California (a hotel) and the violations of labor code and other things was amazing, I stayed 2 months before leaving when they tried to not pay over-time for scheduling me 12 hours a day, it was a miserable place.

I've worked for a few small employers since then and haven't found one that was a decent place, very cheap, employees were what seemed like a nuisance to them, no benefits, just poor working environments.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I realise that, I do not like shopping Big Box stores who rarely have what I want in stock anyway.

Easier and cheaper to buy on line.