Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

WalMart Food and Drink

WalMart Food and Drink

Old Feb 16th 2014, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default WalMart Food and Drink

Pleasantly surprised to see Tetley tea bags and Scottish caramel shortcake in the local WalMart yesterday.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:37 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WalMart Food and Drink

I don't trust anything from Walmart if there is a possibility that the product made for Walmart could have been made to "different" standards (she said euphemistically) from the same product not sold to Walmart. Or, in short, Walmart dictates the price they want to pay, and the supplier provides them with a custom low-quality product that they can afford to produce for that price. I've seen this in many departments all over the store. "Made for Walmart", if it appears on the label, seems to be a common passive-aggressive way of informing the customer that they're getting the shoddy product instead of the product the vendor would rather be known for.

tl;dr I don't buy anything at Walmart where the quality matters.

(Husband commented, "It's really not like Asda here, is it." Me: "No, honey, from what I can see it's really not.")

Last edited by Speedwell; Feb 16th 2014 at 6:42 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with you in that respect.
However I often buy staples and veggies when I can get a good deal.

I may try the products I mentioned but I usually do a stocking up run when I'm back in Scotland.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

They recently started selling big boxes of pg tips too. And Heinz vegetarian beans for a buck.
I really don't shop there at all but when I was a stay at home Mum with three children their prices on things were a lifesaver to us.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Vegetarian beans? Fancy that
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

To my taste they're the closest to the UK version. My kids love them on toast
Old Feb 16th 2014, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yup!
Beans on toast. One of the perfect foods from my student days.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
To my taste they're the closest to the UK version. My kids love them on toast
Wegmans own brand are slightly closer, certainly a lot cheaper, but yes, the Heinz Veg, in the green can isn't bad.

The Tetley tea bags aren't bad in a pinch, but they don't seem the same, but you can't beat the price.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Wegmans own brand are slightly closer, certainly a lot cheaper, but yes, the Heinz Veg, in the green can isn't bad.

The Tetley tea bags aren't bad in a pinch, but they don't seem the same, but you can't beat the price.
Tetleys are way to weak for me. I love the pg tips 'builder' strength which you can only get back home. Failing that just pg tips. Whats Wegmans? Is that a store?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Whats Wegmans? Is that a store?
Yes, massive grocery store. They're slowly moving up the coast, opening two more in MA and maybe moving up to NH/ME later.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

With Tetley you need to check whether they are import, or the 'British Style' manufactured in NJ.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Will it say on the box/bag?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wamart 'Great Value' black tea is really cheap and doesn't taste that bad. They also have some decent oven chips that taste more British than most.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:12 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Some "made for Walmart" stuff is good. For instance, Ben & Jerrys ice cream is great but most of their varieties are just too rich and have to much stuff in them. (For my taste.) Their Walmart flavors seem to be simpler but still have the basic good Ben & Jerrys quality.

I wouldn't buy fruit and veg or meat at Walmart, though. The few times I tried the quality was horrible.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:58 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffie77
With Tetley you need to check whether they are import, or the 'British Style' manufactured in NJ.
Yes, absolutely! Any brand of teabags manufactured here in the US--no matter how 'respectable' or how 'British' the brand name--has less actual tea inside the bag than the same brand across the Pond. I don't understand why Americans put up with such weak wimpy teabags!

Pathetic that you can't trust the brand name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.