Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Very cool Chase/BA card if one has some dosh

Very cool Chase/BA card if one has some dosh

Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very cool Chase/BA card if one has some dosh

Originally Posted by tonrob
Anyone booked with their BA points yet?

Mrs tonrob and I have the full monty (200k) between us via this offer and we've been tossing up our options between:

1) Taking a holiday to South America (why not?) although I'm still trying to find out how to best find the options we have for traveling to various countries/cities and how many points this would be for economy/business etc.

2) Going to Europe and blowing all the points to go first class on BA.

3) According to some very useful but long-winded and confusing threads from the mileage boffins on FlyerTalk the best value/bang-for-buck you can get from these points to buy World Traveler Plus (BA's "premium economy") and then use miles to upgrade to Club ("business"). At 25k points a pop each of our Chase cards would give 4 upgrades each! Even better, as you are buying the base ticket you actually earn about 10K miles each time you do this! (So, essentially - if we went home once a year and paid WT+ we could upgrade free to business for 4 or 5 years!)

So many options, so little vacation allowance.

Edit: Pat - this has got to be worth $75....
I think the flyertalk boffins advice is probably good - been playing around with dates and suchlike - as per most mileage programs the blackouts are all over the place. Best to buy and upgrade...
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Another way you can use BA miles is by flying in the US or to Central America on American Airlines.

30,000 miles would get you a return from San Francisco to Miami for about $15.00 , or any other route they serve. I think 35,000 miles would get you to Central America .

The last poster was right, the best way to use BA miles when using BA is to upgrade your class, which believe me is quite a treat if you are on a plane for 10 hours.

The lounge at Heathrow has free food, booze and showers.

Mick
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:53 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Be on the lookout if you have a BA (or other Chase) card. They're giving away more miles in a series of offers. Common ones seem to be 5,000 miles for adding an additional cardholder and 10,000 miles for spending $1,000 in each of April, May and June.

Invitations to subscribe are being sent by mail and/or e-mail - not everyone is getting the offer - seems to be targeted.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Be on the lookout if you have a BA (or other Chase) card. They're giving away more miles in a series of offers. Common ones seem to be 5,000 miles for adding an additional cardholder and 10,000 miles for spending $1,000 in each of April, May and June.

Invitations to subscribe are being sent by mail and/or e-mail - not everyone is getting the offer - seems to be targeted.
Just got my 10,000 offer - no catch as far as I can tell...wonder why they are so bent on giving away extra stuff on top of the initial outstanding deal? Must be trying to bump up their usage stats or something.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:08 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Just got my 10,000 offer - no catch as far as I can tell...wonder why they are so bent on giving away extra stuff on top of the initial outstanding deal? Must be trying to bump up their usage stats or something.
People on Flyertalk were saying that maybe Chase bought too many BA miles.

You need to be quick to get your $1K spend in before the end of April though!

Other good deals seem to be 50K United miles (Chase) and 25K Starwood points (Amex).

Marriott are also doing up to 40K points and a 10% cash bonus when buying gift cards via a Honeymoon registry offer.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

You need to be quick to get your $1K spend in before the end of April though!
Ha, no problem there.... (We put every last cent on this card and pay off in full every month - maximum miles for old rope).
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:22 pm
Septic Sprout

Could the BA Chase card be even more generous?

Having amassed a whopping quarter of a million miles so far in bonuses alone (between myself and Mrs tonrob), just got a letter offering triple miles between June 9 and August 8, making this card my first go-to for that period. Check your mail!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:31 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

My impression is that it's BA and not Chase that are giving away the bonus miles, and they're doing it to try and keep their most valuable loyal customers through the whole volcano and strike fiasco.

On top of all the bonuses, I seem to suddenly have TWO companion vouchers on my account (terms and conditions say only one per 12-month spend), which is a very good deal indeed!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:33 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by dbj1000
My impression is that it's BA and not Chase that are giving away the bonus miles, and they're doing it to try and keep their most valuable loyal customers through the whole volcano and strike fiasco.

On top of all the bonuses, I seem to suddenly have TWO companion vouchers on my account (terms and conditions say only one per 12-month spend), which is a very good deal indeed!
The consensus on Flyertalk (at least in the recent past) seemed to be that Chase had bought too many BA miles and was looking to offload them.

Either way - as long as things don't go completely tits up this is likely to be the best credit card offer I ever signed up for.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:37 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

The consensus on Flyertalk (at least in the recent past) seemed to be that Chase had bought too many BA miles and was looking to offload them.

Either way - as long as things don't go completely tits up this is likely to be the best credit card offer I ever signed up for.
If the Flyertalk consensus is that, then I believe it.

Unfortunately we didn't get the 100,000 miles because they apparently simply ignored my wife's card application! She submitted the whole thing online, and we never heard another word, which sucks.

Still, the other bonuses are welcome, and the companion coupon(s) for $30k spend are a great extra perk.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:41 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by dbj1000
If the Flyertalk consensus is that, then I believe it.

Unfortunately we didn't get the 100,000 miles because they apparently simply ignored my wife's card application! She submitted the whole thing online, and we never heard another word, which sucks.

Still, the other bonuses are welcome, and the companion coupon(s) for $30k spend are a great extra perk.
But you got the 50k sign-up then the 50k initial spend bonus, didn't you?

And the 10k for $1k in April, May and June and the 5k for additional cardholder...?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:10 am
Arrogant ****

But you got the 50k sign-up then the 50k initial spend bonus, didn't you?

And the 10k for $1k in April, May and June and the 5k for additional cardholder...?
I've had my card since 2003. I think I got 25k + 25k when I signed up initially.

Yes I got the 10k in April, May & June, and the 5k for an additional cardholder.

I'm still 100,000 short based on the original offer in this thread though.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Could the BA Chase card be even more generous?

Having amassed a whopping quarter of a million miles so far in bonuses alone (between myself and Mrs tonrob), just got a letter offering triple miles between June 9 and August 8, making this card my first go-to for that period. Check your mail!
Ditto....we were also up to the 250,000 mile mark - just redeemed 150,000 of them for three round trip tickets to the UK at the end of November. Still cost us $1000 in taxes and fees mind....BA does seem to be the worst of the bunch for that. But, a saving of over $1700 still can't be sniffed at.

I do notice that on the BA website, the dates for mileage redemption are extremely limited; if you try to book business class, even more so - I was only able to book economy.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Still cost us $1000 in taxes and fees mind....BA does seem to be the worst of the bunch for that
Quite right ! If you want to avoid the taxes fly American Airlines, a r/t ticket across the US is about 30,000 miles and around $15 in taxes.

Flying BA, people mostly use them to upgrade their cabin, the best deal is booking WT + and upgrading to Club World , ( 25,000 miles R/T ).
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:12 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

If you fly after Oct 15th & before May 15th on American Airlines You can get round trip to London for 40,000 miles taxes where approx $117, the last twice I flew to London I did this, now out of airmiles but it was great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.