UK MP murder

Old Jun 17th 2016, 3:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK MP murder

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It isn't, or wasn't, about gun control in the UK. It was attitude self-control. We aren't, or weren't, the kind of culture that wanted to be armed, still less the kind of culture that thought that shooting people was an acceptable response to anger, frustration, sadness, fear, etc. etc. British culture isn't, or wasn't, like American culture. Just like Switzerland, where all the men have a gun but don't use them to shoot people. American culture apparently cannot handle being armed. British culture is, or was, different. The escalation of hysteria, fear and xenophobia of late is helping not one bit.
I agree.

I feel that with the TV news cycle and social media, some low information British people vaguely think they are living in a single "US-UK" polity. Like the French idea of the "Anglo-Saxons."
Old Jun 17th 2016, 3:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel that the police should come down very, very hard on these far right groups.

Certain categories of speech can be prosecuted as criminal in the UK. Guns and explosives may be found in their houses. Shut those organisations down, lock the leaders and the foot soldiers up.

I know some will say they are just harmless fringe groups, arresting people and raiding their houses will just give them undue importance, but if it's done right maybe the country can really shut them down, and prevent more young people and vulnerable people from being radicalised.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 4:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I read it was just 2 shots. This may have been a lot worse if weapons were readily available in the uk
In fact she was shot 3 times, stabbed and given a kicking while she was on the ground. So in fact IMHO a lot worse than just 2 shots as if being shot twice isn't bad enough.

A shame 2 traffic officers chased the animal down and got him before the firearms unit got there.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 4:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I really feel that the police should come down very, very hard on these far right groups.

Certain categories of speech can be prosecuted as criminal in the UK. Guns and explosives may be found in their houses. Shut those organisations down, lock the leaders and the foot soldiers up.

I know some will say they are just harmless fringe groups, arresting people and raiding their houses will just give them undue importance, but if it's done right maybe the country can really shut them down, and prevent more young people and vulnerable people from being radicalised.
I don't think we can. Who is to decide how far right is too right? Or too left. Or too religious. Is that a decision we want in the hands of the police? The government? Probably not.

But I do very much believe in normal, decent general public speaking up loud and clear. There should have been universal condemnation yesterday of Farage's poster, although I would not have wanted him arrested however momentarily satisfying that might have felt. People need to speak up, to shun those who espouse such views and use such methods and - voluntarily, because it is the right thing to do - do not give them the oxygen they crave.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite surprising all the public racial hatred. It makes me realize how easy it would be for another Hitler to rise to power. Normally keep all this hatred to themselves.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 4:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite surprising all the public racial hatred. It makes me realize how easy it would be for another Hitler to rise to power. Normally keep all this hatred to themselves.
It's quite easy to get people hysterical en masse - look at Princess Diana's funeral. Look at all the nationalist, populist governments and parties around the world, and the things that people do for and with them as a result. Don't need to go as far as a Hitler.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 4:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I don't think we can. Who is to decide how far right is too right? Or too left. Or too religious. Is that a decision we want in the hands of the police? The government? Probably not.

But I do very much believe in normal, decent general public speaking up loud and clear. There should have been universal condemnation yesterday of Farage's poster, although I would not have wanted him arrested however momentarily satisfying that might have felt. People need to speak up, to shun those who espouse such views and use such methods and - voluntarily, because it is the right thing to do - do not give them the oxygen they crave.
Certainly I didn't mean UKIP or Farage. I was referring to extremist groups who already committed crimes (such as hate speech or storing illegal weapons.) In Britain there are criminal charges available, while in the U.S. such groups are able to hide behind first amendment, second amendment etc.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I hate that one tabloid had a headline like 'Brexit maniac shoots MP dead.' We don't know the full story yet, except that he'd had mental health problems, and they've made an assumption that it was all to do with the EU referendum.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 7:26 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I hate that one tabloid had a headline like 'Brexit maniac shoots MP dead.' We don't know the full story yet, except that he'd had mental health problems, and they've made an assumption that it was all to do with the EU referendum.
It's headlines like that that sell newspapers
Old Jun 17th 2016, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I found this so upsetting. We're hurtling towards some kind of right-wing apocalypse and seem to be unable to put the brakes on.
Agreed.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

From the press reports, the killer was a nice quiet guy that used to help out people with the odd gardening job. Be interested to know what tipped him over the edge. I think there is a lot of tension over immigration and the Brexit at the moment. Some people get quite worked up and she was outwardly supporting the IN vote.
You didn't read about his links to the Springbok Club?
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Is it ok to jump to conclusions when a muslim does something?
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
As long as they are brown-skinned, you can. Doesn't even matter if they are Hindi either, like the other guy a week or so ago, you can blame Islam for that too.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It's obligatory
Old Jun 17th 2016, 8:41 pm
Banned

riversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond reputeriversofblood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's obligatory
And that makes you happy ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.