Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Old Feb 13th 2020, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
dear god
​​​​​
Old Feb 13th 2020, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Sadly, I read that there was a big spike in deaths in China today. It's worrying, but as I'm no epidemiologist, I can't say what the significance of this is for the degree to which the government there is getting the situation under control...
Old Feb 13th 2020, 6:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
And I suspect the older population of China have not had the pneumococcal vaccination that older people or people in at risk group are given by their GP in UK. They are close to 60,000 cases in China right now with death toll of about 1400 a mortality rate of about 2.2%. When and if the United Kingdom and it's NHS face 60,000 cases of this infection I doubt 1400 of those will die. Our death rates will be less probably 3/4 less. Why? Because we have better health care and quality of living and that why it is hitting them so hard.

And you think there is no way this country will hit 45,000 or 60,0000 cases of this virus. It will eventually.
From what I've heard, the majority of people dying from this virus are over 60.
Flu virus each year is aimed at very specific forms of the flu virus.
The pneumococcol vaccine you mentioned previously protects against a bacterium that causes pneumonia. It's pretty specific.
The only way either one of the above mentioned would offer any benefit towards the at-risk population ( over 60's) is if they have already had these vaccines they are less likely to be already sick when they come into contact with coronavirus. Neither will offer direct benefit at overcoming the coronavirus.

If you are concerned then wash your hands frequently, get the flu vaccine (so you don't get sick from something which is a much greater risk for all of us) and keep healthy.

Old Feb 13th 2020, 8:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... The pneumococcol vaccine you mentioned previously protects against a bacterium that causes pneumonia. It's pretty specific.
The only way either one of the above mentioned would offer any benefit towards the at-risk population ( over 60's) is if they have already had these vaccines they are less likely to be already sick when they come into contact with coronavirus. Neither will offer direct benefit at overcoming the coronavirus. ....
I suspect that the chances of a vaccine developed to protect against pneumococcol bacteria providing any protection whatsoever against a coronavirus, is as near to zero as makes no difference, because the former is a bacteria, and the latter is a virus, so they are fundamentally types of pathogen.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 8:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that the chances of a vaccine developed to protect against pneumococcol bacteria providing any protection whatsoever against a coronavirus, is as near to zero as makes no difference, because the former is a bacteria, and the latter is a virus, which are fundamentally types of pathogen.
I know, I didn't want to belabour it but one is a bacterial infection and the other is a virus.....
The only way it could possibly be helpful is that if you've had the vaccines mentioned you are less likely to be sick when you come into contact with coronavirus, thereby increasing your chances of getting through it unscathed.
Personally, I think they should be concentrating on getting flu vaccine to everyone.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I didn't want to belabour it but one is a bacterial infection and the other is a virus.....
The only way it could possibly be helpful is that if you've had the vaccines mentioned you are less likely to be sick when you come into contact with coronavirus, thereby increasing your chances of getting through it unscathed.
Personally, I think they should be concentrating on getting flu vaccine to everyone.
Would be nice if flu vaccine was free to all, bet the uptake would increase. It's not free where I am in Canada for most, high risk persons receive it free while the gov't supplies last, but for most they have to pay, and probably plays a role in why many don't get it.

Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:59 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've heard, the majority of people dying from this virus are over 60.
Flu virus each year is aimed at very specific forms of the flu virus.
The pneumococcol vaccine you mentioned previously protects against a bacterium that causes pneumonia. It's pretty specific.
The only way either one of the above mentioned would offer any benefit towards the at-risk population ( over 60's) is if they have already had these vaccines they are less likely to be already sick when they come into contact with coronavirus. Neither will offer direct benefit at overcoming the coronavirus.

If you are concerned then wash your hands frequently, get the flu vaccine (so you don't get sick from something which is a much greater risk for all of us) and keep healthy.
You have hit the nail on the head with the bottom sentence. The reason for the extreme spread in China must be the lack of a flu jab among the population and the really poor hygiene they must be keeping. Though I still fail to understand how it is spreading so rapidly in China when every picture you see of Beijing many people are wearing a face mask because of the smog and pollution.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 6:46 am
Account Closed

You have hit the nail on the head with the bottom sentence. The reason for the extreme spread in China must be the lack of a flu jab among the population and the really poor hygiene they must be keeping. Though I still fail to understand how it is spreading so rapidly in China when every picture you see of Beijing many people are wearing a face mask because of the smog and pollution.

The face masks do very little. This is not the flu! So the flu shot will make zero difference.

The spread is not at an unexpected rate, one person can easily carry the disease without contracting enough of the disease to appear ill or they can pass it on whilst it is incubating.

Please do some research before you continue posting such irrational nonsense.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 10:58 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
The face masks do very little. This is not the flu! So the flu shot will make zero difference.

The spread is not at an unexpected rate, one person can easily carry the disease without contracting enough of the disease to appear ill or they can pass it on whilst it is incubating.

Please do some research before you continue posting such irrational nonsense.
Quotation of CDC website is below.

" Person-to-person spread is thought to occur mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes."

With this in mind surely wearing a face mask would greatly reduce the chances of catching via "respiratory droplets". AND good hand sanitation would also greatly reduce the risk of the catch the virus. They have the first bit down in China but perhaps not the second bit? And how the hell are the medical staff getting it wearing full biohazard suit or what the chinese call biohazard suit? The equipment they have must be substandard?

Maybe the flu shot does help there no proof either way I would say. Maybe it doesn't stop you from getting it but maybe it helps you fight it off once you have it.

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 15th 2020 at 11:06 am.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

" Person-to-person spread is thought to occur mainly via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory pathogens spread. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes."

With this in mind surely wearing a face mask would greatly reduce the chances of catching via "respiratory droplets". AND good hand sanitation would also greatly reduce the risk of the catch the virus. They have the first bit down in China but perhaps not the second bit? And how the hell are the medical staff getting it wearing full biohazard suit or what the chinese call biohazard suit? The equipment they have must be substandard?

Maybe the flu shot does help there no proof either way I would say. Maybe it doesn't stop you from getting it but maybe it helps you fight it off once you have it.

The masks have to be of a suitable grade most are not.

Of course good sanitation will help but it's still relatively easy to not have nearby hand washing, or efficient disinfectants, many bacterial handsoaps have such a ridiculous contact time that they are useless.

It is not the same disease as the flu! So the vaccination is completely irrelevant.

You seem intent to lay blame on the Chinese population....
Old Feb 15th 2020, 1:16 pm
Banned

The masks have to be of a suitable grade most are not.

Of course good sanitation will help but it's still relatively easy to not have nearby hand washing, or efficient disinfectants, many bacterial handsoaps have such a ridiculous contact time that they are useless.

It is not the same disease as the flu! So the vaccination is completely irrelevant.

You seem intent to lay blame on the Chinese population....
No I am intent on arguing against the crap that coming out of the uk papers like the sun for instance who are saying 400,000 are going to die in this country alone and the world is coming to an end and the sky is going to fall down. And I am off the view that outbreak is being used to bring china to it's knees for some reason. The U.S government would not dare treatment europen allies the way it has treated the Chinese people over this.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 1:19 pm
Austin. TX.

I was going to write asking you to just stop writing such utter rubbish. I doubt very much you would know how to find proof, much less read and understand it.
FLU shot cannot immunise against coronavirus. There is no vaccine for coronavirus yet.
Flu shot can stop you getting flu. Coronavirus is not the flu.

BUT - We're all having a good laugh at you so just carry on.

Old Feb 15th 2020, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

BUT - We're all having a good laugh at you so just carry on.
Im not even sure if he's just trolling

Are you trying to insinuate chemical warfare? Or is the US deliberately spreading the virus in China?

newspapers thrive on sensationalism so of course they will predict the worst scenarios.

And the US has installed a travel ban/quarantine similar to many other countries in response to the outbreak so your talking absolute rubbish with your crackpot conspiracies.

Perhaps fold that tinfoil hat into a crown?
Old Feb 15th 2020, 1:39 pm
Austin. TX.

So, an old mate of mine in the UK is now quite a well known dentist. He gets interviewed on tv/bbc radio a lot about the appalling state of the UK's children's teeth. Biggest single reason for hospital admission of under 5's in the UK is for multiple tooth extractions.
Anyway - he does a lot of proper research on cross infection control in the dental environment and he just posted this on his FB page for us lot - his dental peeps. Tony Kilcoyne btw.
Pass me the woolly ones.
Dear All,

I keep being asked what is best advice to help prevent risks of Corona virus being caught or passed on, when one is healthy and wishes to stay that way, as many are confused with multiple bits of information from multiple sources, so here is the No.1 best advice I can give that hopefully most will remember, whether you're here or abroad:

WEAR GLOVES when out and about or with other people, especially in busy places !!

This is better than anything else you can do, practically and simply. Want to know why this is logical then read below, but just remember and share that with your friends and family, helpfully and preventively.

When something is relatively highly contagious or easily caught, then regularly shared surfaces like door handles, cashpoint keypads, self-checkout screens, seating arms etc, etc will have been touched by 100s or 1000s that day and people use their hands to, well, let's not go there but many don't wash hands regularly even after using the loo - just observe yourself - queues rarely seen at the sink to wash hands on the way out of busy loos, are there ?!?

Now these can be nice stylish gloves, something comfortable but with these on, you won't automatically stick your fingers in your mouth or rub your eyes or eat finger-foods like sandwiches or pizza or chips/crisps etc, = the most common way of catching the 'bugs' after touching an invisibly dirty shared surface with bare hands, then ingesting the infecting bugs - it's how most tummy bugs and other things 'going around' get around, so break that cycle by WEARING GLOVES routinely.

Then take the gloves off, use hand sanitiser or washing facilities (soap and water is fine as dilutes/removes the bugs) and the skin of your hands are relatively clean to eat with (though use knife and forks more!), it's the gloves that are filthy on the outside now !!!

Yes masks are good if someone sneezes in your face, but that's not the most common route, those droplets sneezed soon land of surfaces to then be touched by other's hands!
So if you feel a sneeze coming on, use a handkerchief or sneeze into your elbow crease or arm, not your hands because..... well you know they are the biggest VECTOR for spreading many diseases now, right???

Yours helpfully.

Tony.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 6:40 pm
Banned

Im not even sure if he's just trolling

Are you trying to insinuate chemical warfare? Or is the US deliberately spreading the virus in China?

newspapers thrive on sensationalism so of course they will predict the worst scenarios.

And the US has installed a travel ban/quarantine similar to many other countries in response to the outbreak so your talking absolute rubbish with your crackpot conspiracies.

Perhaps fold that tinfoil hat into a crown?
China has a weak hand in future trade talks when this thing ends. Assuming there is much left of China when it is over. They haven't put the virus down hard but that could change. And the world will condemn that if they do even Putin wouldn't stand for extreme action. Poor china hey.

Last edited by andyrebell; Feb 15th 2020 at 7:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.