British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/u-s-ban-foreign-visitors-who-have-been-china-within-last-2-weeks-930773/)

andyrebell Feb 1st 2020 9:15 am

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Why not blanket ban visitors from China as well? And how is this to work? A ban from boarding the plane to a person having visited China in that period/rolling 2 week period? Which ok fair enough would prevent passenger from infecting other passengers during the flight. Or is the ban enforced at the immigration desk allowing the infected passengers to already have infected a plane full of people who are allowed to proceed into the country without quarantine?

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 1st 2020 9:41 am

Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Australia is doing the same it appears.

From what I can gather foreign nationals who have been to China recently will be refused entry to the US so presumably airlines will begin to deny boarding to foreign nationals on flights departing China and elsewhere if the airline is aware of a passengers travel history and on arrival I assume USCBP is doing a more intense line of questioning and looking into travel history a little more deeply. Airlines wont want to risk fines so easier for airlines to deny boarding in China to any foreign national.

Connecting passengers would be trickier though.

They would never be able to get away with denying USC from entry so no point in even trying that but USC who have been to Wuhan area will be subject to 14 day quarantine.

US is also only permitting flights from China to 7 US airports which should help with screening.

US airlines have begun to suspend service to/from China so fewer and fewer flights as these suspensions take place. Demand has dropped and crews are refusing to fly to China so airlines really have no choice at this point.

andyrebell Feb 1st 2020 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12799714)
Australia is doing the same it appears.

From what I can gather foreign nationals who have been to China recently will be refused entry to the US so presumably airlines will begin to deny boarding to foreign nationals on flights departing China and elsewhere if the airline is aware of a passengers travel history and on arrival I assume USCBP is doing a more intense line of questioning and looking into travel history a little more deeply. Airlines wont want to risk fines so easier for airlines to deny boarding in China to any foreign national.

Connecting passengers would be trickier though.

They would never be able to get away with denying USC from entry so no point in even trying that but USC who have been to Wuhan area will be subject to 14 day quarantine.

US is also only permitting flights from China to 7 US airports which should help with screening.

US airlines have begun to suspend service to/from China so fewer and fewer flights as these suspensions take place. Demand has dropped and crews are refusing to fly to China so airlines really have no choice at this point.

I have never been to China so I don't know anything Chinese border controls. How can they tell if you have been to China? Is a chinese passport stamp similar to a UK/US passport stamp with dates on it or is it all in chinese writing which most people could not read. And what would stop a person from getting a new passport with no chinese stamp in it?

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 1st 2020 3:38 pm

Strikes me as far too late.

Pulaski Feb 1st 2020 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12799875)
Strikes me as far too late.

And rather too little - from what I remember about the story breaking a couple of weeks ago, there had already been cases identified in three countries outside of China.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 1st 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12799720)
I have never been to China so I don't know anything Chinese border controls. How can they tell if you have been to China? Is a chinese passport stamp similar to a UK/US passport stamp with dates on it or is it all in chinese writing which most people could not read. And what would stop a person from getting a new passport with no chinese stamp in it?

Looking at images online, China's passport stamps say China in English so that makes it pretty easy, many countries citizens need a visa to enter China so there is looking for visa records within a passport to see if there is one for China.

China doesn't come across as a country that is lax on stamping passports say like Canada is.

andyrebell Feb 1st 2020 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12799954)
Looking at images online, China's passport stamps say China in English so that makes it pretty easy, many countries citizens need a visa to enter China so there is looking for visa records within a passport to see if there is one for China.

China doesn't come across as a country that is lax on stamping passports say like Canada is.

I had a problem with my father's ETA being rejected and yet during the cruise from NYC to quebec we didn't even see a Canadian border official.

We are cruising from NYC to Southampton in April and have not been near China. The virus is pretty contained to be fair and I don't think things will get more drastic in the west. The UK will not do a Chinese travel ban even though we are out of Europe now or almost out we should do though to give us that extra layer of security.

dc koop Feb 1st 2020 7:31 pm

One way or another the Chinese and their viruses will manage to eventually wipe out the rest of us

andyrebell Feb 1st 2020 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12800019)
One way or another the Chinese and their viruses will manage to eventually wipe out the rest of us

They native Chinese who don't speak english worth a damn are rude and arrogant and they will travel whether they are sick or not. They do not care.

spouse of scouse Feb 1st 2020 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by andyrebell (Post 12800022)
They native Chinese who don't speak english worth a damn are rude and arrogant and they will travel whether they are sick or not. They do not care.

Andy, would you kindly bugger off with your uninformed and ignorant bullshit? Thank you.

spouse of scouse Feb 1st 2020 7:58 pm

And you should know better.

andyrebell Feb 1st 2020 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12800041)
Andy, would you kindly bugger off with your uninformed and ignorant bullshit? Thank you.

Hardly ignorant. We have both been on holiday and come across Chinese groups they just walk into you like you aren't there, no excuse me please or sorry and if you say something back they ignore you. I have been served in chinese liquor stores if you want to call them that in new york and the chinese guy behind the counter says to me "you show ID!" (they ID everyone in america to buy booze as you know) Not can I see your ID please. They are rude.

andyrebell Feb 1st 2020 8:44 pm

This isn't even that bad to be fair. SARS was a lot worse as was the fictional virus in contagion that movie from 2011 to which that outbreak is drawing parallels to in the media. The death rate is so high because in China they suffer with bad hygiene, poor healthcare and standards of living in some areas. That is why is spreading like wildfire if people believe what the papers say and they are making big headlines out of it to sell papers. And even the death rate is China is coming down as the infection total increases. It was 3% fatal now I think it is about 1.5%

civilservant Feb 1st 2020 9:02 pm

If a serious novel virus where to emerge, one that has a high mortality rate, you better believe that shutting down borders and ports of entry is one of the first things all governments will do.

Pulaski Feb 1st 2020 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12800074)
If a serious novel virus where to emerge, one that has a high mortality rate, you better believe that shutting down borders and ports of entry is one of the first things all governments will do.

And if the incubation period is more than 12 hours it won't do a scrap of good because of the numbers of international travelers. The virus had already reached three other countries by the time western news media broke the coronavirus story, so it is likely, if the 14 day incubation period being reported is correct, that most countries that have an air route to China have already had someone infected with coronavirus enter their country.