Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Of course!! That's the whole point.
What is different about this virus is the length of time before symptoms show. Please read the article.

Sorry I got through the first paragraph but then it flagged up for subscription.

I agree that the current unknown length of time before symptoms show is a worry, but that doesn't distract from the fact that theses viruses/pathogens are everpresent in everyday life. Given the right conditions any one of them can thrive.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/h...a-aylward.html

Soundest article I've read anywhere.
One of my daughter's colleagues in her office now has the virus. because a person with no symptoms came for lunch in their building.
I've been in that office and eaten in the canteen. The office is open plan and the stairs go up through the middle of the building - how many hands touch the railings? The elevator buttons? The handle on the water/soda dispenser/coffee pot?

I am taking the advice of my mate in London and wearing cotton gloves when outside my home. I"ll pretend I'm the Queen!

I think Seattle should be quarantined.
All this talk about the "low" death rate and it not being really serious bothers me very much. The people that are dying are precisely the ones that we should be trying to protect and even the anti-vaxers can't complain surely about being asked to stay at home. What if it was a member of your own family with a compromised immune system?
Problem is that article is NYT so behind a paywall. (I certainly couldn’t see it.) Article the same day in The Guardian, about Aylward and that WHO research.

I totally agree that people not paying sufficient attention at present is not helping. As I see it, it’s not so much the death rate that’s important, as two (three) other percentages.

1. Proportion of the population who will catch this. (40 - 80%?)
2. Proportion of those who will need hospitalization.
3. Proportion of those who will need ICU, to attempt to save their lives

Obviously, hospital beds are limited and can easily be overwhelmed, leading to tragically unnecessary deaths.

As I understand it, if the spread is slowed down by robust measure, then the inevitable progress of the disease can be spread over a much longer period, allowing people to cycle in and out of the hospital and the ICU, allowing as many as possible to receive proper treatment.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:08 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
You can post your crazy comments, but such personal nonsense can be well left alone....

​​​​​In fact you definitely owe an apology.
I am sorry I misread the post I thought you were speaking about your daughter. Should your daughters colleague be treated as below? Quarantined for life? Or even better let just start culling the infected people like cattle. It could be the only way to stop the spread of the infection. It is by no means certain we can ever develop a vaccine.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I am sorry I misread the post I thought you were speaking about your daughter. Should your daughters colleague be treated as below? Quarantined for life? Or even better let just start culling the infected people like cattle. It could be the only way to stop the spread of the infection. It is by no means certain we can ever develop a vaccine.
you are beginning to sound a little unhinged. Perhaps it’s best if you keep such comments to yourself.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:34 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
you are beginning to sound a little unhinged. Perhaps it’s best if you keep such comments to yourself.
As maybe but quarantine of an entire city would cost billions every day and seattle is a smaller city. Look at the boston marathon bomb 1 billion dollars that cost to find that guy overs 24 hour lockdown. Going down this road you are talking trillions of dollars.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

As maybe but quarantine of an entire city would cost billions every day and seattle is a smaller city. Look at the boston marathon bomb 1 billion dollars that cost to find that guy overs 24 hour lockdown. Going down this road you are talking trillions of dollars.
your not even coherent.

It's not me you owe an apology to.

Your starting to sound even more crazy by the post, suggesting mass homidice is far fetched to say the least
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Phathamster
your not even coherent.

It's not me you owe an apology to.

Your starting to sound even more crazy by the post, suggesting mass homidice is far fetched to say the least
I was being sarcastic actually of course they are not going to do that. You are talking about the quarantine of an entire city for an infection of 150 cases and 11 deaths nationwide in a country of 300 million. The sealing off of boston cost 1 billion dollars when they captured the boston marathon bomber and that was an 18 hour lockdown. You propose a quarantine of 2 weeks? 1 month? How long?. The USA is not close to that yet and can not afford it by any stretch of the imagination

Last edited by andyrebell; Mar 5th 2020 at 3:57 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 4:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was being sarcastic actually of course they are not going to do that. You are talking about the quarantine of an entire city for an infection of 150 cases and 11 deaths nationwide in a country of 300 million. The sealing off of boston cost 1 billion dollars when they captured the boston marathon bomber and that was an 18 hour lockdown. You propose a quarantine of 2 weeks? 1 month? How long?. The USA is not close to that yet and can not afford it by any stretch of the imagination
Never mind all that, I want to know if killing and eating people is still on the cards in Baltimore and Detroit
Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

In a post a few hours ago, petitefrancais linked to an article in the New York Times and referred to it in her comments.

I, and presumably others, can’t see the NYT article because it’s behind a paywall. But I think the article was about the WHO research mission to China, which looked at the effectiveness of the Chinese response to the epidemic, and whether other countries could learn from the Chinese experience.

For those who can’t see the NYT article, here’s a good article on the same topic..

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...ther-countries
Old Mar 5th 2020, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think you're right about the 'known' mortality rate being considerably skewed, as that can only be calculated according to the number of confirmed cases reported. Whether it's deliberate concealment or simply a lack of testing/testing equipment, the actual number of people worldwide who contracted the virus is unlikely to ever be known. Given that the vast majority of people only seem to have mild symptoms, they probably go on to recover without ever being aware that they had this virus.
That is the tricky part, the mild symptoms most have, and seems kids can be carrying it and not have symptoms at all. I have a mild cold this week, but how do I know if its a regular cold or this new virus? There is no way to know, I haven't traveled so they wouldn't test me even if I went to the doctor, but the symptoms are too mild to seek medical attention, I assume its a regular cold since they keep saying we haven't had any community spread but never know now do we?

Can't really shut down major city's completely, the economic damage would be high, and damage to individuals as well, remember not everyone has a job that can be done from home, if their companies close down, they wont be paid, lower wage earners just missing 1 or 2 days of work can mean the difference between having rent money and not having rent money.

Working from home is a luxury of white collar workers.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 8:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is the tricky part, the mild symptoms most have, and seems kids can be carrying it and not have symptoms at all. I have a mild cold this week, but how do I know if its a regular cold or this new virus? There is no way to know, I haven't traveled so they wouldn't test me even if I went to the doctor, but the symptoms are too mild to seek medical attention, I assume its a regular cold since they keep saying we haven't had any community spread but never know now do we?

Can't really shut down major city's completely, the economic damage would be high, and damage to individuals as well, remember not everyone has a job that can be done from home, if their companies close down, they wont be paid, lower wage earners just missing 1 or 2 days of work can mean the difference between having rent money and not having rent money.

And if you shut down Seattle aren't you also defacto shutting down the Pacific Coast Highway which runs from Vancouver to LA through Seattle? I am sure you can find a different route but still a massive disruption.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Without invoking martial law it is not possible to close down everything and even then not sure how effective it would be.

Plus of course you need to balance out the benefits with the consequences, unless this becomes significantly more serious I just do not see that it makes sense.

Generally speaking the deadlier virus is the more difficulty it has spreading, not sure I have seen anything that suggest that this is not the case here.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

You don’t really have cold symptoms from what I have read. Dry cough, fever, headaches and it comes on fairly quickly.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You don’t really have cold symptoms from what I have read. Dry cough, fever, headaches and it comes on fairly quickly.
I was just using cold as a generic term since those with very mild symptoms will likely simply think they have a generic cold or other virus.

This what Canadian government lists, several are same as a cold symptom.
  • runny nose
  • headache
  • cough
  • sore throat
  • fever
  • a general feeling of being unwell

Old Mar 6th 2020, 12:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

And if you shut down Seattle aren't you also defacto shutting down the Pacific Coast Highway which runs from Vancouver to LA through Seattle? I am sure you can find a different route but still a massive disruption.
Very minor inconvenience for through traffic, take 405 instead of 5.
If Bellevue was also quarantined, then the inconveniences would be great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.