Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I told my husband that if worse came to worst I could butcher him and fill the freezer - I'd be ok for food. He was very quick to remind me that fatty foods really play havoc with my stomach.
Love the humour Dorothy, so glad you have someone who makes you laugh (and in a pinch, could provide a fair few meals for you)
Old Mar 4th 2020, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of
Default Re: U.S ban foreign visitors who have been to China within the last 2 weeks.

I'm planning on traveling to Poland this weekend from the UK, changing in Sweden outbound and Denmark inbound. I'm still assuming I don't have any risk of being put into a Polish quarantine (or worse... a Swedish one...), but we shall see...
Old Mar 5th 2020, 1:55 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Seattle - my DD's office closed and she's working from home until further notice. The Amazon employee with Covid19 had lunch with his FB mates in the next door building last week.
These tech companies send their employees all over the country all the time. I'm now thinking about the people I've worked with who went through Menlo Park HQ for induction last week/week before and were then distributed all over the country.
And Austin just decided to keep going ahead with SXSW next week - Geneva Motor Show and Barcelona Mobile show were both cancelled. Although tonight Apple pulled out of SXSW joining many others so maybe it will not go ahead. I just can't imagine willfully turning Austin into the next epicenter in the USA after Seattle.
Our stores are out of hand sanitizer and tonight as I bought groceries I thought about all the cross infection hotspots - the handle on the shopping trolley, at the cashtill the major Texas grocery store HEB doesn't have touchless payments enabled in most stores. I touched the keypad and the screen....
China contained the virus amazingly well, the USA is in for a nasty shock at this point.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
China contained the virus amazingly well, the USA is in for a nasty shock at this point.
China has contained it so well that there are foreign tourists who are now into Week SIX locked in a hotel room, being fed minimal rations twice a day, and with no idea when they wll be allowed home.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have so far not had any known community spread in Vancouver, but I imagine its only a matter of time, lots of daily traffic between BC and WA and Vancouver and Seattle airport, so far all the cases have been linked to travel to China or Iran and Hong Kong, and only one case where the person has become critical, the most recent an 80 year old who recently traveled to India via Hong Kong.

I have a bit of a cold/scratchy throat this week,I assume its just a regular run of the mill cold though....

I am not sure China style handling of the virus would work in US or Canada, more freedoms and rights and such, even the quarantine here isn't forced, they just prefer those in 14 day quarantine not go out, but its all honor system.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 5th 2020 at 4:01 am.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:00 am
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We have so far not had any known community spread in Vancouver, but I imagine its only a matter of time, lots of daily traffic between BC and WA and Vancouver and Seattle airport, so far all the cases have been linked to travel to China or Iran and Hong Kong, and only one case where the person has become critical, the most recent an 80 year old who recently traveled to India via Hong Kong.

I have a bit of a cold/scratchy throat this week,I assume its just a regular run of the mill cold though....

I am not sure China style handling of the virus would work in US or Canada, more freedoms and rights and such, even the quarantine here isn't forced, they just prefer those in 14 day quarantine not go out, but its all honor system.
It is not the rights it is the guns that people have to back up those rights. It could get very ugly very quickly. Something else to consider is Iran is probably lying about the true total of infected people for whatever reason which has a knock on effect on the death percentage.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 11:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
Something else to consider is Iran is probably lying about the true total of infected people for whatever reason which has a knock on effect on the death percentage.
I think you're right about the 'known' mortality rate being considerably skewed, as that can only be calculated according to the number of confirmed cases reported. Whether it's deliberate concealment or simply a lack of testing/testing equipment, the actual number of people worldwide who contracted the virus is unlikely to ever be known. Given that the vast majority of people only seem to have mild symptoms, they probably go on to recover without ever being aware that they had this virus.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 1:20 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/h...a-aylward.html

Soundest article I've read anywhere.
One of my daughter's colleagues in her office now has the virus. because a person with no symptoms came for lunch in their building.
I've been in that office and eaten in the canteen. The office is open plan and the stairs go up through the middle of the building - how many hands touch the railings? The elevator buttons? The handle on the water/soda dispenser/coffee pot?

I am taking the advice of my mate in London and wearing cotton gloves when outside my home. I"ll pretend I'm the Queen!

I think Seattle should be quarantined.
All this talk about the "low" death rate and it not being really serious bothers me very much. The people that are dying are precisely the ones that we should be trying to protect and even the anti-vaxers can't complain surely about being asked to stay at home. What if it was a member of your own family with a compromised immune system?

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Mar 5th 2020 at 1:47 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:07 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

One of my daughter's colleagues in her office now has the virus. because a person with no symptoms came for lunch in their building.
I've been in that office and eaten in the canteen. The office is open plan and the stairs go up through the middle of the building - how many hands touch the railings? The elevator buttons? The handle on the water/soda dispenser/coffee pot?

I am taking the advice of my mate in London and wearing cotton gloves when outside my home. I"ll pretend I'm the Queen!

I think Seattle should be quarantined.
All this talk about the "low" death rate and it not being really serious bothers me very much. The people that are dying are precisely the ones that we should be trying to protect and even the anti-vaxers can't complain surely about being asked to stay at home. What if it was a member of your own family with a compromised immune system?
It is not spread through the population per say though has it? Most of the people live in a retirement home don't they? And if the people of Seattle kick off and people die killled by the U.S army? Okay Seattle is a very safe city with 20 to 30 murders a year (baltimore is the same size and has 10x the murder rate). And it cannot be suggested that the police have lost control of Seattle, so they probably won't kick off but the economic cost would be billions of dollars.

Last edited by andyrebell; Mar 5th 2020 at 2:16 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:23 pm
Austin. TX.

It is not spread through the population per say though has it? Most of the people live in a retirement home don't they? And if the people of Seattle kick off and people die killled by the U.S army? Okay Seattle is a very safe city with 20 to 30 murders a year (baltimore is the same size and has 10x the murder rate). And it cannot be suggested that the police have lost control of Seattle, so they probably won't kick off but the economic cost would be billions of dollars.
can you not read????

My daughter is not in a retirement home. She works in a building and in a company where I'd guess most of the employees are well under 40 years of age. The 2 people I have referenced are UNDER 25 yrs old. These 2 young people probably won't die but they will have spread the virus around a city where people may well die due to them.

All the big companies have now cancelled their SXSW shows.

I know there might be a few long words in it, but try reading that NYT article because otherwise you just sound like a twit.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in that office and eaten in the canteen. The office is open plan and the stairs go up through the middle of the building - how many hands touch the railings? The elevator buttons? The handle on the water/soda dispenser/coffee pot

But those are the same "contact points" for any virus/ pathogens......

The paranoia around Corona is most certainly Pandemic
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:36 pm
Banned

can you not read????

My daughter is not in a retirement home. She works in a building and in a company where I'd guess most of the employees are well under 40 years of age. The 2 people I have referenced are UNDER 25 yrs old. These 2 young people probably won't die but they will have spread the virus around a city where people may well die due to them.

All the big companies have now cancelled their SXSW shows.

I know there might be a few long words in it, but try reading that NYT article because otherwise you just sound like a twit.
And when your daughter breaks quarantine she will be shot dead. And what if your daughter can never be cured of the virus are we to quarantine her for the rest of her life? Or maybe she should just be put to death!?

It is here and people will die. It is among us and that is it and it is by no means certain we can find a vaccine. We must just hope and pray for the best.

Last edited by andyrebell; Mar 5th 2020 at 2:44 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Phathamster
But those are the same "contact points" for any virus/ pathogens......
Of course!! That's the whole point.
What is different about this virus is the length of time before symptoms show. Please read the article.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:38 pm
Austin. TX.

And when your daughter breaks quarantine she will be shot dead. And what if your daughter can never be cured of the virus are we to quarantine her for the rest of her life? It is here and people will die and it is among us and that is it and it is by no means certain we can find a vaccine. We must just hope and pray for the best.
you are off your effing trolley
Old Mar 5th 2020, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

And when your daughter breaks quarantine she will be shot dead. And what if your daughter can never be cured of the virus are we to quarantine her for the rest of her life? It is here and people will die and it is among us and that is it and it is by no means certain we can find a vaccine. We must just hope and pray for the best.

You can post your crazy comments, but such personal nonsense can be well left alone....

​​​​​In fact you definitely owe an apology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.