Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

A couple of thoughts.

I have been involved in hiring in my last job where I sat down with the recruiter from HR and we set up the basic qualifications for consideration plus some pretty basic technical screening questions for HR to give to the candidates with the answers we're looking for to do an initial screen. We did specify a relevant degree OR substantial experience. I myself have a degree but not in my field of work (or even remotely close!). HR would pass on the resumes of everyone who passed the basic screening to me and I would decide who to call for interview. Basically if you could spell "JavaScript" your CV would hit my desk.

As to verification of qualifications, I can think of only two cases in my career where I had to actually produce my certificates on starting, and one of those was a graduate entry scheme for a local authority. My most recent job that I've just started sent me forms to authorize a background check which probably didn't tell them anything very useful as I've only been in the US for three years. They did not ask me to prove my qualifications.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
........ Without a sodding degree!!!!! It seems bloody impossible. Have applied for a job at San Jose International doing pretty much what I was doing at Heathrow. Terminology is sometimes different, but on the whole the processes are the same. Even if I say so, I put together a killer application, making sure to show how my experience on the airfield at Heathrow was transferable to the US. I even tapped up my linkedin contacts over here to check publications I needed to be familiar with where effectively the same as the UK ones. It said in the description a BA was needed although if you could demonstrate work experience, the BA could be waived. Well, I'm starting to think that's not the case, as the job closed 9 days ago, and I've heard sweet FA. I'm pee'd off because 1, I want to pick up my career where I left off in the UK, and 2, it seems t reinforce my view thvt without a degree here, no matter what my experience, I'm destined I a relatively menial job!!!!! It's flipping ridiculous!!
Look, matey. I can't be bothered reading all the drivel most of these dunderheads write, but here's what you need to do:

Lie. That's right, tell a whopper. Buy a fake degree online and make up a story. Do you really believe some lazy arse in HR will be bothered to check the details? Not a chance.

Dog eat dog mate and most BA degrees are useless anyway.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Look, matey. I can't be bothered reading all the drivel most of these dunderheads write, but here's what you need to do:

Lie. That's right, tell a whopper. Buy a fake degree online and make up a story. Do you really believe some lazy arse in HR will be bothered to check the details? Not a chance. ...
Have you ever worked in HR? .... There's no need to reply, we know the answer.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
9 days is nothing! The job I am in (worked there 10 years) I applied for in the may I interviewed and was hired in the July.
There's still hope then

Lie. That's right, tell a whopper. Buy a fake degree online and make up a story. Do you really believe some lazy arse in HR will be bothered to check the details? Not a chance.

LOL. I'm far too much of a wuss to even consider doing that.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

"Terminology is sometimes different, but on the whole the processes are the same"
Throwing this out there. I'll let you decide if it's relevant!

I'm guessing you followed the rules of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) whilst working at Heathrow? I ask this because even though the "processes" are the same, the "terminology" and/or rules by which you would carry out that process, will be different. You would be working under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules, which I'm going to assume the hiring body might want you to be familiar with. My OH is a General Aviation Pilot here in the States, and even though his piloting skills transfer (he could fly the same type of plane parked on a UK ramp) he would have to complete the EASA training, at a very high cost I might add. Walk into local flight schools and chat with them. My husband is always looking for reliable "ramp guys", and you never can tell who's going to walk/fly in and offer you a bigger/better opportunity. As I say, I'm not sure if this is relevant to the positions you are trying for, but it might be worth your time to visit a college that has an aviation program, and ask how you could better market your British experience. Sometimes an Associate in Aviation can get you in the door, coupled with lots of experience. Don't underestimate the importance of the "terminology". Best of luck, and don't give up!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the OP is trying to get into an airport job, there is a very good chance the lie would be discovered during the back ground check, which includes verifying schools attended.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melly
"Terminology is sometimes different, but on the whole the processes are the same"
Throwing this out there. I'll let you decide if it's relevant!

I'm guessing you followed the rules of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) whilst working at Heathrow? I ask this because even though the "processes" are the same, the "terminology" and/or rules by which you would carry out that process, will be different. You would be working under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules, which I'm going to assume the hiring body might want you to be familiar with. My OH is a General Aviation Pilot here in the States, and even though his piloting skills transfer (he could fly the same type of plane parked on a UK ramp) he would have to complete the EASA training, at a very high cost I might add. Walk into local flight schools and chat with them. My husband is always looking for reliable "ramp guys", and you never can tell who's going to walk/fly in and offer you a bigger/better opportunity. As I say, I'm not sure if this is relevant to the positions you are trying for, but it might be worth your time to visit a college that has an aviation program, and ask how you could better market your British experience. Sometimes an Associate in Aviation can get you in the door, coupled with lots of experience. Don't underestimate the importance of the "terminology". Best of luck, and don't give up!
Thanks for the post . Slightly different on the ground. In the UK I worked to document CAP 168. Here it would be FAR part 139. Having now read part 139, they are effectively the same document.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... they are effectively the same document.
Which is something that I hope you would never say in an interview. Saying that you've read it and are familiar with it is one thing, or even that it is similar, but Americans don't like to hear that their rules and regulations are no better than anyone elses!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is something that I hope you would never say in an interview. Saying that you've read it and are familiar with it is one thing, or even that it is similar, but Americans don't like to hear that their rules and regulations are no better than anyone elses!
Ha ha. I wouldn't use those words exactly, but I would have to gently remind them that both publications are lifted from the same ICAO document. Obviously the Americans are far more thorough than us Brits though
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the post . Slightly different on the ground. In the UK I worked to document CAP 168. Here it would be FAR part 139. Having now read part 139, they are effectively the same document.
Okie dokie!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 11:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you ever worked in HR? .... There's no need to reply, we know the answer.
I've worked in HR and I have to say I can't remember routinely checking references. Sometimes I would if there was a point to it or if I was suspicious. The way I would check references is to actually test them, if they said they had a degree in whatever, I would ask them a question they should know the answer to or give them a practical test.

One thing I will say is that 99% of people are hopeless at writing résumés, they either put too much information on there or not the correct information, I remember one time I had a girl who applied for a job as a filing clerk who had a master's degree in microbiology. Immediately went in the bin because I knew someone that well educated would never be able to hack the job, it was so boring. It doesn't impress me, what I'm looking for is someone who can put up with the job and not leave after a few months.

Every time you apply for a job, customize your résumé to that job, put down the relevant information. If you have no relevant information, you're not likely to get it so don't bother.

Also one thing I was super hot on was drug checks.

As far as airport jobs go, I know they're always looking for baggage handlers because it's high turnover, so my advice would be to apply for a job as a baggage handler and then you can talk to HR directly.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
As far as airport jobs go, I know they're always looking for baggage handlers because it's high turnover, so my advice would be to apply for a job as a baggage handler and then you can talk to HR directly.
Except the airport would have their own separate HR from the ground handling companies and airlines who do their own hiring.

Its very rare in the US for an airport to be involved with hiring any staff to handle the airlines, the airports just deal with their operation and don't deal with the airlines hiring and services and such.

The HR department for an airline or ground handling company would be pretty useless to getting a job with the airport directly.

Getting a job with an airline or ground handling company can however get you some networking with airport employees so it certainly doesn't hurt to work at the airport for any job possible.

Just have to decide if tossing bags for near min. wage is worth the commute.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
As to verification of qualifications, I can think of only two cases in my career where I had to actually produce my certificates on starting, and one of those was a graduate entry scheme for a local authority. My most recent job that I've just started sent me forms to authorize a background check which probably didn't tell them anything very useful as I've only been in the US for three years. They did not ask me to prove my qualifications.
Before changing jobs recently I would have agreed with you. This last one wanted proof of an HNC I had obtained in England 27 years ago . They also wanted to call the college I obtained it from. I had to dig out the certificate, scan and send it to them.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 5:03 am
Just Joined

shughes007 will become famous soon enoughshughes007 will become famous soon enough

........ Without a sodding degree!!!!! It seems bloody impossible. Have applied for a job at San Jose International doing pretty much what I was doing at Heathrow. Terminology is sometimes different, but on the whole the processes are the same. Even if I say so, I put together a killer application, making sure to show how my experience on the airfield at Heathrow was transferable to the US. I even tapped up my linkedin contacts over here to check publications I needed to be familiar with where effectively the same as the UK ones. It said in the description a BA was needed although if you could demonstrate work experience, the BA could be waived. Well, I'm starting to think that's not the case, as the job closed 9 days ago, and I've heard sweet FA. I'm pee'd off because 1, I want to pick up my career where I left off in the UK, and 2, it seems t reinforce my view thvt without a degree here, no matter what my experience, I'm destined I a relatively menial job!!!!! It's flipping ridiculous!!

Yes a BA is a minimum unless you know somebody in the job. The irony is that your UK high school education is probably as good as a 4 year degree at some schools here. Go to Community college and get the 'paper', unfortunately it counts.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Before changing jobs recently I would have agreed with you. This last one wanted proof of an HNC I had obtained in England 27 years ago . They also wanted to call the college I obtained it from. I had to dig out the certificate, scan and send it to them.
Same here. I have had refs checked before getting offered a job. This last one I got an offer contingent on my background check coming back ok, and they checked my refs after making the offer and then after I had started asked for a paper copy of my degree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.