British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/trying-land-bloody-decent-job-country-830404/)

markonline1 Apr 4th 2014 3:17 am

Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

........ Without a sodding degree!!!!! It seems bloody impossible. Have applied for a job at San Jose International doing pretty much what I was doing at Heathrow. Terminology is sometimes different, but on the whole the processes are the same. Even if I say so, I put together a killer application, making sure to show how my experience on the airfield at Heathrow was transferable to the US. I even tapped up my linkedin contacts over here to check publications I needed to be familiar with where effectively the same as the UK ones. It said in the description a BA was needed although if you could demonstrate work experience, the BA could be waived. Well, I'm starting to think that's not the case, as the job closed 9 days ago, and I've heard sweet FA. I'm pee'd off because 1, I want to pick up my career where I left off in the UK, and 2, it seems t reinforce my view thvt without a degree here, no matter what my experience, I'm destined I a relatively menial job!!!!! It's flipping ridiculous!! :frown:

Pulaski Apr 4th 2014 3:26 am

Re: Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

I'm sorry to hear your predicament. There are just so many people looking for work that have more than the minimum requirements that even good people are not getting a look-in. .... It is called "under employment", where people are over qualified for the job they have but can't find a better one.

I think you should seriously consider starting a plan to get that Bachelors degree as it is the key to so many jobs. In fact the very fact that you have signed up and started a few classes, in an evening, might tip the balance in your favour. There are so many ways to get a degree in the US, and as we all know, most of them aren't actually that difficult, and you might be able to get some credit for whatever you have from the UK too.

markonline1 Apr 4th 2014 3:31 am

You know, I've thought about it, but I'm not sure I could swallow the cost, especially with a baby markonline1 on the way, plus I stopped after my A-Levels so I'm not sure I'm cut out for more education 22 years later LOL. I think you're probably right though.

Pulaski Apr 4th 2014 3:41 am

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11203849)
You know, I've thought about it, but I'm not sure I could swallow the cost, especially with a baby markonline1 on the way, plus I stopped after my A-Levels so I'm not sure I'm cut out for more education 22 years later LOL. I think you're probably right though.

Start at community college, I hear it is extremely cheap, and you can start taking care of some of the basic stuff you'll need. And I think you might be able to get some community college credits for A levels, and maybe even O levels.

markonline1 Apr 4th 2014 3:43 am

I shall look into it. Cheers.

kimilseung Apr 4th 2014 3:50 am

There are some places that let you transfer none-college experience, life and work experience in to college credit.

Near me Antioch University is known for this approach, it might be worth looking in to.

Pulaski Apr 4th 2014 4:17 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11203861)
There are some places that let you transfer none-college experience, life and work experience in to college credit.

Near me Antioch University is known for this approach, it might be worth looking in to.

It is worth remembering that whichever university of college you (aim to) complete your degree at, with whatever pre-existing credits you are granted, plus course credits from CC, you will probably be expected to do a minimum of 20-25% of the "hours" required for the degree at that last institution.

RoadWarriorFromLP Apr 4th 2014 4:18 am

The California community colleges (which are essentially the first half of a bachelor's degree) charge $46 per unit.

Classes are usually three units each, and you'll need about 40 classes or so to get a BA, about half of which could be taken at the junior college.

Each school year has two semesters, plus there should be accelerated summer and possibly winter terms that would allow you to squeeze in some more classes.

Books and parking are extra, and there might be a few modest fees on top of that.

In other words, the classes at junior college would cost a total of about $1,000, plus books and extras, which would get you half way to the bachelors degree.

Going full time to JC + university would take four years, so it would obviously take longer if you went part time. You could start this summer, assuming that the college has a summer session or two.

Unfortunately, getting a BA is something of a bare minimum for a lot of jobs, although having one doesn't assure you of anything. You may have more luck building up and relying upon your network -- getting the degree will take awhile. If there are professionals credentials that could help you, then you might consider getting those.

Pulaski Apr 4th 2014 4:23 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11203873)
..... Going full time to JC + university would take four years, .....

Assuming he can't get any credits for certificates from the UK, or any other training and experience that could be counted.

RoadWarriorFromLP Apr 4th 2014 4:24 am

I should add that the community colleges have admissions offices, but getting in is not a competitive process -- you will be accepted.

RoadWarriorFromLP Apr 4th 2014 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11203876)
Assuming he can't get any credits for certificates from the UK, or any other training and experience that could be counted.

Do A-levels convert to academic credit? I have no idea.

markonline1 Apr 4th 2014 4:26 am

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11203873)
Unfortunately, getting a BA is something of a bare minimum for a lot of jobs, although having one doesn't assure you of anything. You may have more luck building up and relying upon your network -- getting the degree will take awhile. If there are professionals credentials that could help you, then you might consider getting those.

There is that. Besides, I don't really have a clue what sort of course I'd want to do. I did think working at Heathrow would hold some sway when applying for aviation jobs over here. Yep, the passenger experience is pretty shit, but it's still one of the busiest most recognizable airports in the world. I guess I was wrong :lol:.

RoadWarriorFromLP Apr 4th 2014 4:34 am

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11203879)
There is that. Besides, I don't really have a clue what sort of course I'd want to do. I did think working at Heathrow would hold some sway when applying for aviation jobs over here. Yep, the passenger experience is pretty shit, but it's still one of the busiest most recognizable airports in the world. I guess I was wrong :lol:.

If you go to community college/ junior college, then you don't have to specialize in anything in particular. Much of the first two years of a US bachelor's degree is devoted to "general education," which is pretty generic. (General education for a math/science/engineering degree might have a bit less of a liberal arts component, but there should otherwise be a lot of overlap.)

The community colleges do offer Associate of Arts (AA) degrees, but those are pretty worthless. Instead of focusing on the AA degree, it would be wise to look instead at the bachelor degree requirements for universities in your area, then take classes at the JC that match those requirements. The JCs in California should orient many of their classes toward transferability to the public universities.

Nutek Apr 4th 2014 2:11 pm

Just to add, it IS possible to land a job without a degree, but it's going to be a combination of networking people you know/people who know people you know... and some luck.

Stick with it... If you can just land that first position, whatever it may be, it's the foot in the door that you need.

/helpful. ;)
/personal experience etc.

Pulaski Apr 4th 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11204405)
Just to add, it IS possible to land a job without a degree, ....

I do not disagree that it is possible, but today more than ever, with historically high unemployment, including many with degrees, many corporations set a degree as a rudimentary filter to reduce the number of applicants for jobs to a manageable number. I have argued with HR myself over such arbitrary criteria, but had no success in a getting a very strong candidate into the pool of applicants I was even allowed to consider when they failed to meet a previously set "job requirement". :frown: